PDA

View Full Version : Beating the mental part of a slump ...

BabblingPsychopath
05-15-2007, 01:49 PM
UGH! I'm in one of those slumps where I can't make any of the shots I usually make. Now, I'm not a very good player, but the last three times out this week I played sooo badly.

Then, of course, I start thinking about it (during my strokes), I tighten up, and another error.

Does anyone have a trick to beat this problem? I feel like it's like that "don't think about pink elephants" problem. I know I just have to relax.

stnick
05-15-2007, 03:08 PM
1. relax
2. slow down
3. relax
4. make your strokes simple and deliberate, concentrate on correct posture and footwork, concentrate on playing the ball, not the other side of the court
5. relax
6. learn that there aren't mistakes- these are just repetitions that remind your mind/body what not to do- every time you've made a "mistake", you've just learned something!!
7. did i mention relax?

Teh_pwnerer
05-15-2007, 03:23 PM
same here, relaxing is the key

Micky
05-15-2007, 09:22 PM
UGH! I'm in one of those slumps where I can't make any of the shots I usually make. Now, I'm not a very good player, but the last three times out this week I played sooo badly.

Then, of course, I start thinking about it (during my strokes), I tighten up, and another error.

Does anyone have a trick to beat this problem? I feel like it's like that "don't think about pink elephants" problem. I know I just have to relax.

Change your strings. You will see the difference.