PDA

View Full Version : My forehand

copycat
09-22-2004, 01:38 AM
Hey guys, haven't posted for a while but i've finally got over my shoulder injury and can play tennis again. i've been working on my forehand after all the tips everyone gave me before when i posted videos of my game and this is the result:

http://users.bigpond.com/fkramer/forehand.mpg

This time it is in quicktime format, so it should be easier to analyse :)

Would be good if people could post some tips or comments.

Thanks

Agent Smith
09-23-2004, 04:24 AM
I think you point to the ball with your racket head too long. It looks really unnatural. If you wanna copy pros like Roddick or someone who points at the ball a lot, then I think you should work on more fluidity in your takeback.

xxgotricexx89
09-23-2004, 02:02 PM
have u tried swinging the racquet a little bit faster for more pace and more topspin?

Chanchai
09-23-2004, 02:40 PM
Take my word with a really light grain of salt... Because you may even have a better forehand than me :P And I've never played on clay either.

But I can't help but feel that two things could help you:
-Take the ball a bit more aggressively (not harder, just more forward)
-Making more use of your torso and upper body

Much of the time you're taking the ball upright and only extreme cases where you're on your backfoot (so it's with good reason). Somehow (though you're on a clay court) I feel you could move a bit more into the shot. Not really so much step into the shot, but maybe I think you have the ability to take the ball more forward. But your strokes, to me, seem fine in general. So this is just an experimentation tip.

On the second point... If you want to get more power, I don't think you really have to swing harder. But I just get the impression that you could use more of your body/kinetic-chain in your forehand. You're already going for a neutral or semi-open stance when you've got the ball, and I think that's good. But I feel that you could get your hips and upper body even more into the shots that are given to you. If we're talking about going for a stronger shot that is. I'm not saying you're not using your right hip, because as far as I can tell, you're doing that quite well. But it looks like your body just isn't extending what you're getting from your lower body, it's kind of going along with it--and so your whole body looks like it's all moving as one big unit. I might only be seeing it this way because you're taking off the ground when you hit your forhand (something I do a bit too much of anyways).

Just some ideas... But as far as I can tell, you have a nice forehand.

Someone strike me down if I'm saying something "off" though. This is as much a learning experience for me as it is for Copycat to be honest.

-Chanchai

C_Urala
09-24-2004, 03:53 AM
Well, I see two hitches. One is when you point to the ball with your racquet and your elbow is pointed to the back fence. The second is when your elbow is tucked close to your ribs and the racquet is pointed backward. I know, many words have been said that it's the elbow that should start the forward swing for the modern forehand, but your motion is broken at three separate phases. So, there's no chain. You accelerate your racquet after that second hitch and rob yourself of power.
You know, I'm not an expert, just how I see it.

C_Urala
09-29-2004, 11:49 PM
Somehow (though you're on a clay court) I feel you could move a bit more into the shot. Not really so much step into the shot, but maybe I think you have the ability to take the ball more forward. But your strokes, to me, seem fine in general. So this is just an experimentation tip.

BTW, Chanchai,
Why do you think that on clay you can move less into the shot?
(I just don't get that "though")

copycat
09-30-2004, 01:58 AM
Hey guys, i was practising my forehand today, and i realised that i leave my left hand on the grip up until the very last momment. I tried taking my hand off alot earlier and started timing the ball alot better. Has anyone ever had this problem before??

BTW, i took another video of it and will post it up soon. Oh and if your reading BB, it would be good if you could add some comments :P

C_Urala
09-30-2004, 03:34 AM
Hey guys, i was practising my forehand today, and i realised that i leave my left hand on the grip up until the very last momment. I tried taking my hand off alot earlier and started timing the ball alot better. Has anyone ever had this problem before??

BTW, i took another video of it and will post it up soon. Oh and if your reading BB, it would be good if you could add some comments :P

As far as I understand, the usual problem is that players do not use their left hand at all when they are preparing for the forehand. So, maybe you've gone to the other extreme.

copycat
09-30-2004, 06:56 AM
Well its not that im not using my left hand at all..... i still use it to balance myself, its just that i dont leave it on the racquet handle as long during my preperation.

TwistServe
09-30-2004, 07:30 AM
A big issue with your forehand is that you move backwards during or after your stroke. In order to have power and proper weight transfer you need to move forward or into the stroke.. Usually players move backwards when they get a deep high ball, and need to compenstate for slow feet.. you're getting easy feeds and they need to have proper weight transfer forward

Thats my take..

C_Urala
09-30-2004, 08:43 PM
Well its not that im not using my left hand at all..... i still use it to balance myself, its just that i dont leave it on the racquet handle as long during my preperation.

I see what you mean...
After I wrote my last post, I watched your clip once again. Well, you do keep your left hand on the racquet pretty long. But then, too often your left hand does not help to uncoil your shoulders. Instead, it sort of let them to uncoil. Every first time, your left hand action looks o'k. But every second time, it looks "weak-willed".

About the weight transfer mentioned by TwistServe.
I see that when the ball is 'normal' (in the zone), you do transfer your weight forward. And only when the ball is deep, then you meet in the open stance and sort of fall off from the shot. So, my suggestion would be to practice anticipation. Then, you will be able to meet the ball in your striking zone and your weight transfer will be there as well.

And I have a question. Since you post your forehand, it means that you don't like something in it. What is your problem? You think you don't have enough power? or it's inconsistent? it's too flat? or what?

copycat
10-01-2004, 02:14 AM
Well basically i dont think its consistant enough. I can hit maybe 5 in a row and then will hit it either 2 metres long or into the bottom of the net. I would just like to get my forehand swing down so that its exactly the same everytime and that the technique im using is right. I also find that the main problem i have with my forehand is that im late on the ball, causing it to fly to the right. Im guessing this could be fixed with better anticipation and like i said before, taking my left hand off the racquet earlier. I took another video of the improved forehand today, ill post it later on tonight.

Oh and some people are probably looking at this thread and saying overkill after my last thread with videos of my game, but im really aiming to concentrate on all my strokes this time and go alot deeper into each one.

Thanks guys :)

copycat
10-01-2004, 06:35 PM
Okay ive uploaded the new video and it can be found at:

http://users.bigpond.com/fkramer/improvedforehand.mpg

Smashlob
10-01-2004, 07:08 PM
Allright, this is my take:

You are *planting* your feet way to early, you need tiny adjustment steps as the ball comes to you in order to be in the best possible position to hit the ball. This is why you are often hitting offbalance. I believe that footwork is what is keeping you from having a better forhand. By better adjusting your feet, you should be able to stop hitting too far out from your body or too close to it.

As to the lateness, try to get your racquet back as early as possible.

You are hitting the ball very cleanly, which is a very good thing.

C_Urala
10-01-2004, 08:57 PM
Well, yesterday, I played a match and it was horrible. I was spraying my FHs anywhere but into the court. :oops: I wish I had your FH, with your level of consitency, yesterday. :lol:
I have some excuses, of course, - a new racquet, a recent shoulder injury. (Well, not only Safin can concoct excuses :wink: )
Today, I'm going to analyze what was wrong.
Footwork, coiling shoulders, contact point, etc..

Copycat, you can do such analysis yourself. (I don't say that you didn't)

JCo872
10-05-2004, 08:26 AM
Very nice forehand indeed. Your contact point is way out in front of your body, which is excellent. You hit through the ball very nicely. Overall its a wonderful forehand. Are you a ranked junior?

Can you set your camera's shutter speed to a faster rate? Like 1/2000. It will get you much better quality and less bluriness. Also zoom in closer next time so I can get a better look. Overall, the shot looks excellent, but to see finer details I need better footage. The only thing I can point to would be your backswing, because your contact and follow through seem perfect. It looks like your backswing is a little cramped. I would also try to hit less from the open stance and more from the neutral stance.

JCo872
10-05-2004, 08:33 AM
I just looked at your video again, and really do think your backswing is causing you some problems. Looks like it is too low and a little cramped in. Take the racket back higher, a little farther away from your body. You also need to be slower on the back swing. Slow on the backswing and explode ON CONTACT. On a professional forehand you will see the backswing is slow and they rip on contact . Look at the Moya video on procompare.net to see what I mean.