PDA

View Full Version : The most impressive footwork...

Pete Semper
05-16-2007, 06:03 AM
What is the 5 most impressive footwork you ve ever seen

1 Borg
2 Nastase
3 Santoro
4 Chang
5 Agassi

Ljubicic for number1
05-19-2007, 06:52 AM
Dont know about top 5, but of the current crop of players Daveydenko is awesome.

thor's hammer
05-19-2007, 07:32 AM
If you're specifically considering footwork, (which is related to but different than speed around the court), then I'd have to put Connors at the top of the list.

The Gorilla
05-19-2007, 08:59 AM
connors, he wasn't that fast but got to everything

!Tym
05-19-2007, 09:16 AM
Graff, 'nuff said.

!Tym
05-19-2007, 09:18 AM
...oh yeah, and the dancing bumblebee Arantxa Sanchez-Vicario too.

...oh yeah, and cutey patootie, Amanda "Freakin' We Luvs Ya Hun" Coetzer, too.

Shaolin
05-19-2007, 10:04 AM
Davydenko has AMAZING footwork, Ive never seen so many quick little adjustment steps.

I also loved Rios' footwork, so effortless and smooth, he was like a cat. Fed's footwork is like that also.

NoBadMojo
05-19-2007, 10:28 AM
I've gotta go with Nadal...lots of baseline slammers move side to side very well..up and back is another story..Nadal does this better than anyone i've ever seen before and can do it for a full 5 sets. He can transition from defense to offense because of his footwork better than anyone i think.

goober
05-19-2007, 10:37 AM
I am surprised nobody has Fed in their top 5.

tintin
05-19-2007, 12:25 PM
Federer's footwork's outrageous when playing well

pow
05-19-2007, 12:35 PM
Federer has great footwork.

Nadal is insanely fast.

Supernatural_Serve
05-19-2007, 12:47 PM
At their peak, Rios and Hewitt seemed to simply glide around the court better than anyone.

tintin
05-19-2007, 01:20 PM
At their peak, Rios and Hewitt seemed to simply glide around the court better than anyone.

speaking of Hewitt,he's been playing very well and players better watch the hell out cause Hewitt's in the house and unless he gets injured last minute I expect him to make the 2nd week at RG this year;he's playing that well:)
and I'm no fan of his

sandy mayer
05-19-2007, 01:24 PM
Connors was renowned for his footwork. Once they found he moved his feet 27 times in 1 shot which didn't require him to move!!! His footwork was a huge factor in his brilliant return. Connors was very fast, but not Borg/Nadal/Chang fast. But his footwork (which isn't the same thing as speed) is in my view the greatest ever, and easily too.

drakulie
05-19-2007, 01:27 PM
Roger Federer. The guys looks like he is playing on skates he so smooth.

FedSampras
05-19-2007, 02:01 PM
before the knife incident, monica seles moved as quickly and effortlessly as anyone who has ever played the game. two-handers are supposed to have limited reach, and when she hit with two hands on both sides we might suspect she would not get to everything, or at least be reaching or off-balance. players who hit the ball quite hard have reduced recovery time as the ball crosses the net and returns more quickly than would occur with a defensive player – and remember no one hit the ball any harder than monica. and finally, compared to the muscular athleticism we see on the women's tour today, monica was not a super human specimen. well that said, how then did she move so well? the story is told in her knack for the split-step and how she converted this floating move into a sudden yet effortless start, time and time again. seles employed two moves that have only recently entered the teaching lexicon – the one-legged split-step landing, and the open stance running recovery.

CEvertFan
05-19-2007, 03:46 PM
Footwork and footspeed are two different things. A player can have great footwork and not be the fastest runner, and that is what enables him/her to still get back a lot of balls. It's definitely a bonus if you have both, (Borg and Graf come to mind), but most players usually have more of one attribute than the other. The Williams sisters are a perfect example of a player having tremendous footspeed, but they can sometimes have sloppy footwork, hence the excessive unforced errors.

CEvertFan
05-19-2007, 03:58 PM
before the knife incident, monica seles moved as quickly and effortlessly as anyone who has ever played the game. two-handers are supposed to have limited reach, and when she hit with two hands on both sides we might suspect she would not get to everything, or at least be reaching or off-balance. players who hit the ball quite hard have reduced recovery time as the ball crosses the net and returns more quickly than would occur with a defensive player and remember no one hit the ball any harder than monica. and finally, compared to the muscular athleticism we see on the women's tour today, monica was not a super human specimen. well that said, how then did she move so well? the story is told in her knack for the split-step and how she converted this floating move into a sudden yet effortless start, time and time again. seles employed two moves that have only recently entered the teaching lexicon the one-legged split-step landing, and the open stance running recovery.

I am a HUGE fan of Monica Seles, but I would have to disagree with you on this point. If there was one thing I could say about her game, it wouldn't include the term graceful. She would often barely get to balls, but her great wrists and hands, combined with her strength and power and good footwork, allowed her to still hit an offensive shot. I never considered her game to be graceful at all. Ferocious, yes. Graceful, no.

I do think she was quicker with regards to footspeed before the stabbing and that part of her game, which I never thought was a real strength of hers to begin with, really suffered because of the layoff and the weight gain and she was noticeably slower when she returned.

CEvertFan
05-19-2007, 04:04 PM
Connors was renowned for his footwork. Once they found he moved his feet 27 times in 1 shot which didn't require him to move!!! His footwork was a huge factor in his brilliant return. Connors was very fast, but not Borg/Nadal/Chang fast. But his footwork (which isn't the same thing as speed) is in my view the greatest ever, and easily too.

I completely agree. Put a Connors hardcourt match in the VCR or DVD player and just sit back and close your eyes and listen to the constant noise that his tennis shoes make from all the minor little adjustments.

LowProfile
05-19-2007, 05:01 PM
Davydenko has AMAZING footwork, Ive never seen so many quick little adjustment steps.

I also loved Rios' footwork, so effortless and smooth, he was like a cat. Fed's footwork is like that also.

On that same line, Gasquet has incredible footwork. He takes a ridiculous amount of adjustment steps.

Nalbandian's footwork isn't extremely graceful or fluid, but his superb court positioning allows him to reach basically everything without too much exertion on his part.

Ferrero used to have top-notch footwork back around 2003 when he was at the top of the game, but it's loosened up somewhat and his results have suffered accordingly.

VGP
05-19-2007, 05:20 PM
safin
moya
mecir
edberg
chang
federer
nadal
borg
connors
mcenroe

graf
navratilova
mj fernandez
seles
coetzer

FedSampras
05-19-2007, 08:57 PM
I am a HUGE fan of Monica Seles, but I would have to disagree with you on this point. If there was one thing I could say about her game, it wouldn't include the term graceful. She would often barely get to balls, but her great wrists and hands, combined with her strength and power and good footwork, allowed her to still hit an offensive shot. I never considered her game to be graceful at all. Ferocious, yes. Graceful, no.

I do think she was quicker with regards to footspeed before the stabbing and that part of her game, which I never thought was a real strength of hers to begin with, really suffered because of the layoff and the weight gain and she was noticeably slower when she returned.

well, you are entitiled to your OWN OPINION Evertfan. it's a common knowledge in the tennis world that seles' footwork (pre and post stabbing) was excellent ( one of the best in women's tennis). what was missing when she came back after knifing incident was her footspeed.

i tend to agree that her was game was not as graceful as goolagong because of her tremendous power but she definitely was the most exciting player to watch play on the tennis court. her brilliance in the way she constructed the points, her mindboggling angles and pinpoint accuracy was truly the work of a tennis genius.

unlike graf whose unorthodox game was considered coyote ugly.

FedSampras
05-19-2007, 09:02 PM
Footwork and footspeed are two different things. A player can have great footwork and not be the fastest runner, and that is what enables him/her to still get back a lot of balls. It's definitely a bonus if you have both, (Borg and Graf come to mind), but most players usually have more of one attribute than the other. The Williams sisters are a perfect example of a player having tremendous footspeed, but they can sometimes have sloppy footwork, hence the excessive unforced errors.

borg yes! but graf???? NO

graf was known for speed but never for her footwork. have you ever seen graf play on clay???

Hingis (certainly not graf) has both the footwork and footspeed.

TheNatural
05-20-2007, 08:58 AM
I've only seen Graf live on Hardcourts, her footwork was super, really awsome. The best theres been in the wta.

Seles footwork was good . It had to be good because her movement wasn't so good and her technique wasn't as great as other smoother hitters.

Hingis does NOT have the footspeed, shes quite slow, and struggles in that department.

graf was known for speed but never for her footwork. have you ever seen graf play on clay???

FedSampras
05-20-2007, 09:16 AM
I've only seen Graf live on Hardcourts, her footwork was super, really awsome. The best theres been in the wta.

Seles footwork was good . It had to be good because her movement wasn't so good and her technique wasn't as great as other smoother hitters.

Hingis does NOT have the footspeed, shes quite slow, and struggles in that department.

I've seen Hingis play many times. She was exceptionally fast. Her instincts, excellent footwork and positioning give her superb court coverage.

Again, Seles has one of the best footwork in women's tennis. She may not be as fast as Graf but her great anticipation and ability to hit the ball on the rise gave her good positioning and made her get to every ball. Monica (pre stabbing) was such a superior shotmaker that she would make even the fastest players ( like Graf) look slow.

As for Graf, she is one of the fastest women (aside from NAvratilova AND vENUS) I have even seen play in women's tennis. But her court postioning and anticipation were inferior to that of Seles. Graf also hit her forehand very late which cause her to have so much trouble when she played Seles (who hits the ball on the rise and wants to end points quickly).

FedSampras
05-20-2007, 09:21 AM
Seles vs Graff 1990 French

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68cgNDf01-8&mode=related&search=

Seles vs Graff 1993 Austrlian Open

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvyEnVCEl9A

FiveO
05-20-2007, 07:07 PM
Borg, Connors, Hingis.

Lendl from the baseline was also very clean off the ground and always said it was something he had to remain very conscious of.

Edberg's footwork getting to and around the net may have been the best and most technically sound ever.

Agassi off the ground also neared perfection.

Today, Federer is not only fast he is incredibly efficient with his feet, i.e. always on balance, no wasted steps, lightness, etc.

I'm also a little surprised that a discussion of footwork has come up without Ken Rosewall's or Chris Evert's names being mentioned. Each had to be incredibly sound because neither had the physical gifts of size and strength that their nearest rivals did. Each had to be nearly perfect technicians to hit the ball as well as they did.

Condoleezza
05-20-2007, 08:26 PM
well, you are entitiled to your OWN OPINION Evertfan. it's a common knowledge in the tennis world that seles' footwork (pre and post stabbing) was excellent ( one of the best in women's tennis). what was missing when she came back after knifing incident was her footspeed. ...

Was she stabbed in the foot?

rommil
05-20-2007, 08:30 PM
Hey Granmaleeza is back(now let me find that stick I use to agitate the baboons at the zoo).

ATPballkid
05-20-2007, 08:31 PM

Steffi Graf's Career in a Nutshell.......

Gunther Parche
and WEAK Competition once Seles was gone.

rommil
05-20-2007, 08:39 PM
Steffi Graf's Career in a Nutshell.......

Gunther Parche
and WEAK Competition once Seles was gone.

How about Steffi Graf.... a great player blessed with some fans who harbor psychotic tendencies....

Warriorroger
05-21-2007, 12:36 AM
Roger Federer and Steffi Graf

TheNatural
05-21-2007, 08:10 AM
Federer has some of the best footwork I've seen in a long time, he glides and moves with an effortless efficiency.

triplefault
05-21-2007, 08:11 AM
1. Rosewall
2. McEnroe
3. Connors
4. Federer

Kirko
05-21-2007, 05:05 PM
What is the 5 most impressive footwork you ve ever seen

1 Borg
2 Nastase
3 Santoro
4 Chang
5 Agassi

no Jimmy Connors he was PERFECT.

CEvertFan
05-21-2007, 07:54 PM
Borg, Connors, Hingis.

Lendl from the baseline was also very clean off the ground and always said it was something he had to remain very conscious of.

Edberg's footwork getting to and around the net may have been the best and most technically sound ever.

Agassi off the ground also neared perfection.

Today, Federer is not only fast he is incredibly efficient with his feet, i.e. always on balance, no wasted steps, lightness, etc.

I'm also a little surprised that a discussion of footwork has come up without Ken Rosewall's or Chris Evert's names being mentioned. Each had to be incredibly sound because neither had the physical gifts of size and strength that their nearest rivals did. Each had to be nearly perfect technicians to hit the ball as well as they did.

I absolutely agree with you. Evert had excellent footwork and excellent anticipation. She almost always seemed to be gliding across the court and there were very few players who could effectively rush her. Her footspeed was above average but she wasn't as fast as some others like Martina. I've never seen Rosewall play and all I know about him is what I've read but I am sure he also had excellent footwork.

CEvertFan
05-21-2007, 07:58 PM

I suggest you watch some of Graf's matches again, because even on clay she had both great footspeed and great footwork. She had to have superior footwork in order to hit that late forehand and especially to run around her backhand so that she could hit the forehand.

I never thought Hingis was very fast with regards to footspeed. Her excellent anticipation and footwork make up for that to a great degree though.

CEvertFan
05-21-2007, 08:00 PM
well, you are entitiled to your OWN OPINION Evertfan. it's a common knowledge in the tennis world that seles' footwork (pre and post stabbing) was excellent ( one of the best in women's tennis). what was missing when she came back after knifing incident was her footspeed.

i tend to agree that her was game was not as graceful as goolagong because of her tremendous power but she definitely was the most exciting player to watch play on the tennis court. her brilliance in the way she constructed the points, her mindboggling angles and pinpoint accuracy was truly the work of a tennis genius.

unlike graf whose unorthodox game was considered coyote ugly.

You just reiterated everything I stated in my post. Maybe you should read my original post again.

Also for the record I never thought Graf's game was particularly graceful either.

morten
05-22-2007, 12:25 AM
Cant believe only one person mentioned Edberg.... Agassi was great too.