PDA

View Full Version : Nike Air Flare Retro

BDAZ
05-16-2007, 06:26 AM
With all the talk and hype cooling down about the Air Tech Challenge retro, has anyone gotten a look at or actually gotten the Air Flare retros? I see that eastbay has them and I've seen them pop up a few times on the auction site. I believe nike.com has them as well. Just wondering if anyone has them and whether or not they are built to play in, unlike the ATC's.

Doc Hollidae
05-16-2007, 07:04 AM
I used to love playing in these.

carrwash13
05-16-2007, 07:44 AM
i'll give this a bump......I also wanna know if these are playable. I'd love some Nike Mid's to play in since they don't make those anymore. Also, for the people that used to wear thse... do these run true to size?

vsdtrek
05-17-2007, 02:59 PM
I'll go on a limb here - it seems to me these re-makes are not as good as the original versions, which is a shame. They seem to be more for looks than true play. If I look at Nike.com, the Flare only has air in the heel area. I think they used to be full air. In fact, this model doesn't even come up in the tennis section.

I remember buying a remake of one of their popular basketball shoes. The thing was an absolute piece of crap from a cushioning perspective with minimal air. I had shin splints for literally years after using that trash.

I was more excited when I saw the Air Tech Challenge remakes a few weeks ago as I really liked mine. I recall never getting the Flares to fit right when I tried them on (I think the toes were cramped).

PS They have Air Resolve mids at Nike.com. I tried those on once and wasn't impressed at all. Nike has really lost me over the last several years.

beaudry93
05-18-2007, 12:35 AM
I wore those shoes in 1995 when i was 15 and playing 6 days a week. They had terrible durabilty and the insole would always slip when running. I do remmeber that they only had the air pockets in the back, not both the front and back. Back then I went for the look of them, they def stood out. Not a great shoe.

Doc Hollidae
05-18-2007, 07:08 AM
I bought a pair last night and played a few sets of doubles in them. Same cramped toe area like I remembered when I wore the originals. The insole is a piece of garabage and would need to be replaced if you plan on playing in them. They are light and comfortable, but not for people with Shrek feet. I don't remember if the outsole design was different so I can't comment, but it feels like the same shoes I whole back when they were originally released.

BDAZ
05-18-2007, 09:16 AM
hey doc, tell me something...is the swoosh facing toward the heel or toe of the shoe? i've seen pics of both, but am starting to think that the actual production model (maybe i saw samples?) has the swoosh facing toward the toe (unlike the originals). also, did you get the white and black ones, because i've also seen (again, maybe a sample) white and red ones. thanks.

Doc Hollidae
05-18-2007, 09:24 AM
hey doc, tell me something...is the swoosh facing toward the heel or toe of the shoe? i've seen pics of both, but am starting to think that the actual production model (maybe i saw samples?) has the swoosh facing toward the toe (unlike the originals). also, did you get the white and black ones, because i've also seen (again, maybe a sample) white and red ones. thanks.

I got the black and white ones.

The swoosh has the fat part closest to the toe.

Doc Hollidae
05-21-2007, 07:16 AM
I wore them twice on Thursday and Friday, then I get up for my tournament on Saturday and as I start to tie my left shoe the top left eyelet breaks. Great quality Nike.

Doc Hollidae
06-04-2007, 05:58 AM
Well I returned the shoes for a second pair and what happens? The same freaking thing. The top eyelet tears and I'm out another pair of shoes. The quality is very poor, they aren't even stitched, but just held together by glue.