PDA

View Full Version : hard to handle shots...

A3M0N
05-16-2007, 09:55 AM
when you have a shot that is comming right into your body (at your head, chest, etc..), how should you handle it? try to shift to get a better angle on it, or just take one for the team? :)

thanks!

later

mrHan
05-16-2007, 09:59 AM
Keep you racquet up and close to your body. Body shots are easier to hit on the backhand volley rather than a forehand volley (assuming that you are at the net).

Taxvictim
05-16-2007, 10:33 AM
I hate fast serves that spin into me. I'm trying to move left to open up my forehand, but the ball follows me. (Or vice versa.) End up just blocking the ball back over the net, if I'm lucky. Any tips?

Bottle Rocket
05-16-2007, 11:10 AM
when you have a shot that is comming right into your body (at your head, chest, etc..), how should you handle it? try to shift to get a better angle on it, or just take one for the team? :)

thanks!

later

Are you talking about when you're at the net or on the baseline?

If you're on the baseline, you should let the ball go because it is going to be long.

If you're at the net, there are a couple issues. The first thing is that you need to fidn out why you've got a bullet coming at you. Did you come in off the wrong ball? Did your doubles partner hit a weak shot? Who's fault is it?

Then you've got to be able to handle the ball. This, like any other shot, takes practice. If you can improve your volleys and your anticipation you will get better with these shots.

ALWAYS have your racket up and always protect yourself with it.

A3M0N
05-16-2007, 11:30 AM
Are you talking about when you're at the net or on the baseline?

either one really. the issue i was talking about i was playing near the baseline and my friend hit a shot and it bounced but was going to jam me up right in my stomach. i just stuck my racquet in front it the best i could so it didn't hit me, since it had time to bounce i guess i just need to react and position myself quicker huh?

thanks for your replys.

later

JRstriker12
05-16-2007, 11:37 AM
either one really. the issue i was talking about i was playing near the baseline and my friend hit a shot and it bounced but was going to jam me up right in my stomach. i just stuck my racquet in front it the best i could so it didn't hit me, since it had time to bounce i guess i just need to react and position myself quicker huh?

thanks for your replys.

later

Yes.

If you have the problem and you are at the baseline, the answer is better footwork.

Take a split step just as your oppoenet strikes the ball and be prepared to move into postion to take your shot. I'd take a step to the side and hit it with my prefered stroke.

Unless he hit a serve, overhead, or a 90-mph hard ground stroke, it's pretty hard to get jammed on a ball the bounces and is about stomach hieght, which should be in your strike zone.

JRstriker12
05-16-2007, 11:42 AM
I hate fast serves that spin into me. I'm trying to move left to open up my forehand, but the ball follows me. (Or vice versa.) End up just blocking the ball back over the net, if I'm lucky. Any tips?

-Move in and take it early before it has time to move in the air and jam you.
-If it's a lefty serve coming into you body (since you're moving to the left and getting jammed), stand closer to the alley before the serve.
-Work on returning that ball from you backhand side.

A3M0N
05-16-2007, 12:16 PM
Yes.

If you have the problem and you are at the baseline, the answer is better footwork.

Take a split step just as your oppoenet strikes the ball and be prepared to move into postion to take your shot. I'd take a step to the side and hit it with my prefered stroke.

Unless he hit a serve, overhead, or a 90-mph hard ground stroke, it's pretty hard to get jammed on a ball the bounces and is about stomach hieght, which should be in your strike zone.

thanks! i haven't been playing long, so i'm still learning how to get into position for shots that i have to move to get an angle on.

later