PDA

View Full Version : USTA or High School Tennis?

Mark Vessels
05-16-2007, 10:35 AM
What do you guys think I should concentrate on?

I hate HS practice because I am number one seed and everyone just started playing tennis like one or two years ago. Coach does not know anything about tennis and there are not even courts at my school.

On the otherhand, tournaments cost a lot of money and take up my weekends. Plus, gas and far away.

What do colleges like better top ten in state or state finalist

Serve em Up
05-16-2007, 11:07 AM
What are your longer term goals. Are you winning all of your high school matches? If so, you may need to go to USTA tourneys to find higher level competition. Do you want to go to a Division I or II college? If so, you should train to get to that level of play.

If your coach is not qualified to teach, I would seek out a pro to work with if you can afford it. That goes whether you are planning to continue on to college or not.

Where I live almost all top high school players have a mid atlantic section rating.

Good Luck!

z-money
05-16-2007, 11:16 AM
Well if you can win state then DO IT!
but if you dont think you are then maybe you should go the other way.
But if you can grab a state title or two then that writes your way. I know of 3 different state champs when i was in high school who went to D1 schools to play. Its on you if you want to build yourself up you gotta play people who can challenge you so do what you need but if its college get have a good record and do good in school

Matt_MS
05-16-2007, 01:45 PM
Do both, they don't hurt, and tell your coach if he wants you to stay on his team (which I'm sure he does) then he should let you go to lessons or a clinic instead of practicing with people who aren't very good.

Also go to college camps over the summer and get recognized by coaches.

Forehand Forever
05-16-2007, 02:05 PM
HS tennis is only about what like 3 or 4 months? Take off from USTA tournaments and if you're as good as you said then practice beating your opponents. It'll put a ton more experience under your belt so you'll be better in USTA tournaments. That's at least what I'm doing now.

oldguysrule
05-16-2007, 02:06 PM
What do you guys think I should concentrate on?

I hate HS practice because I am number one seed and everyone just started playing tennis like one or two years ago. Coach does not know anything about tennis and there are not even courts at my school.

On the otherhand, tournaments cost a lot of money and take up my weekends. Plus, gas and far away.

What do colleges like better top ten in state or state finalist

How badly do you want to play college tennis? If your view of tournaments is that they take up your weekend, then I would suggest that you might not be committed enough for college sports.

Tournaments, per se, are not expensive. It is the coaching and lessons that are expensive. I would play every tournament that your budget allows. I would continue to play HS tennis. I would find some college players to hit with. If you are 17 and thinking about playing in college, you should be good enough to interest some 4.0-5.0 adults to play with you. Get creative to find tough matches and workouts that don't cost an arm and a leg.

If you are really serious, you need to play some ITF tournaments. Any one can enter the qualifying rounds (I think) and you will be playing against other juniors that want to play in college.

As to what colleges like better...The top programs look at ITF rankings. Smaller schools do too, but they are more willing to give someone a tryout if there is good HS experience or USTA rankings.

cereal
05-16-2007, 04:03 PM
yeah college tennis (DI) anyway takes some damn hard work.

tenniskid3119
05-16-2007, 04:15 PM
wow... sounds just like my school except we have courts.

EasternRocks
05-25-2007, 05:50 PM
USTA, i mean like high-schoool tennis doesn;t actually mean anything. College coaches look at rankings for USTA