PDA

View Full Version : 1st Summer As A Serious Player

A.Davidson
05-16-2007, 02:03 PM
Hey guys - just a quick question.

This is my first summer as a serious player. Last June, my friend's brother-in-law invited me to play with them, and I've played every day since. I've made all kinds of improvement, and made my high school team.

I was just wondering what I should do this summer. As a high schoool student, the school year outside of tennis season doesn't offer much in the way of organized competition. This summer, though, I'm really looking forward to getting in a ton of playing time.

So, my question is this:

What should I do?

I've been told to play USTA tournaments, etc. but I just wanted information from a couple of experts. In case it helps, I'm a 4.0.

Matt_MS
05-16-2007, 02:39 PM
You're not a 4.0, because you don't have an NTRP ranking (for tournaments, anyways).

You should be going to camps or training academies and playing as many tournaments as you can.

max
05-16-2007, 02:54 PM
I'd be sanguine about calling myself a 4.0 if I had the short amount of time on court you say you do. The best thing is to dive in: play as much as you can with all sorts of guys and gals; especially those older/more experienced in the ways of tennis, and better than you. Also, find a dependable hitting partner: dependable being a guy who is at your same ability level, who will drop everything he's doing when you call, and will play.

A.Davidson
05-16-2007, 02:57 PM
My ranking was done by my friend's coach, but I think he may have been trying to make me feel good - I'm more often told that I'm a 3.5. Thanks for the advice.

I live in Charlotte, NC. Anyone know any training camps or academies nearby? I wouldn't even know where to start looking...

oldguysrule
05-16-2007, 03:13 PM
My ranking was done by my friend's coach, but I think he may have been trying to make me feel good - I'm more often told that I'm a 3.5. Thanks for the advice.

I live in Charlotte, NC. Anyone know any training camps or academies nearby? I wouldn't even know where to start looking...

Kids these days...
Google "tennis academies camps north carolina"

Hang out at the tennis courts everyday and play with as many different people as you can...

become friends with the pros at the municipal courts...they will enjoy hitting with you and will find other people your level to hit with...

Play every tournament you can...

Roger_Federer.
05-16-2007, 03:50 PM
Play in a ton of tourneys

DraGoNoFfiR3
05-16-2007, 04:18 PM
Tourneyzzzzzzzz!!!111

cereal
05-16-2007, 05:01 PM
You're not a 4.0, because you don't have an NTRP ranking (for tournaments, anyways).

You should be going to camps or training academies and playing as many tournaments as you can.

quit bashing peeps for using the NTRP scale. it's a way to tell us where he is in his game so we can better help him. jeez. we cant gauge thats he's a 4.0 if he tells us that he can hit a forehand and its take time to post a video. so chill people

Matt_MS
05-16-2007, 05:17 PM
Ok so when someone tells us they are a 4.0 and want to know if they should play in tournaments, something is wrong.

People guaging themselves is not a good idea, we can't give adequate advice to someone who can't give us correct parameters.

boobik2371
05-17-2007, 02:50 PM
What high school do you play for? and whats your rank at the school? or what conference. Im pretty sure that there are clinics at old providence and at sardis swim and racquet