PDA

View Full Version : 1st Serve is going out more than usual

andymac1
05-16-2007, 07:20 PM
My serve is usually about 90 - 100 mph for the first serve and it usually goes in about 70% of the time. Recently, however, my serve has either been going long. The only thing I can think of is that I kick my right leg up more than I usually do and it puts more power into the ball than usual when I serve, could that have anything to with it. If that isn't the problem, can you give me another idea besides my toss placement (as I know that is fine, not to sound cocky).

skiracer55
05-17-2007, 10:14 AM
My serve is usually about 90 - 100 mph for the first serve and it usually goes in about 70% of the time. Recently, however, my serve has either been going long. The only thing I can think of is that I kick my right leg up more than I usually do and it puts more power into the ball than usual when I serve, could that have anything to with it. If that isn't the problem, can you give me another idea besides my toss placement (as I know that is fine, not to sound cocky).

...but it sounds like you're not getting enough spin to compensate for more power, and that means you're not getting enough snap at the top of the stroke. Try this: Stand at the net, get your hitting arm up there like you're going to hit a smash, toss, and snap, hitting down into the court hard enough to bounce the ball over the fence....then take that feeling back into your serve motion...

10s talk
05-17-2007, 02:27 PM

you are to cocky !

move your contact point forward, and get some spin on your serve.