PDA

View Full Version : continential grip on serve will help net game as well?

spadesss
05-17-2007, 07:16 AM
i am just learning to serve with continential grip after years of using eastern grip. i was wondering if once i get some consistency using continential grip for serving, will it help me volley better (or correctly) as well.
i have eastern grip for forehand volley and a 2hbh volley, so of course this is not your textbook style.
using continential grip hav felt "weird" for serving especially after 10 plus years of using eastern.
anyway, i wanted to know if continential grip will help me improve my net game as well since i can attack straight to the net after serving and have proper grip on hand.
this may be more of a confidence booster more than anything else as i am coming to terms of doing things right and trying to improve my game after playing little tennis after high school.

skiracer55
05-17-2007, 09:54 AM
...don't forget, just because you serve with a Continental grip doesn't mean you have to serve and volley. Just go to the Continental whenever you get to the net (people will tell you otherwise, but you can actually hit a decent slice half-volley from either side with a Continental).

In fact, you can hit any shot with a Continental, although it tends to be a flat or slice shot on the groundstrokes, which is kind of why it was invented...one grip, one world, one game. People will also tell you you have to have one grip for all groundstrokes. Horse hockey. My base forehand is a semi-Western grip with moderate topspin. If I get stuck running wide, I'll go to a Continental because it's easier to chip it back and keep the rally going. Same thing is true against big servers: try a Continental on the return sometime...

spadesss
05-17-2007, 10:07 AM
...don't forget, just because you serve with a Continental grip doesn't mean you have to serve and volley. Just go to the Continental whenever you get to the net (people will tell you otherwise, but you can actually hit a decent slice half-volley from either side with a Continental).

In fact, you can hit any shot with a Continental, although it tends to be a flat or slice shot on the groundstrokes, which is kind of why it was invented...one grip, one world, one game. People will also tell you you have to have one grip for all groundstrokes. Horse hockey. My base forehand is a semi-Western grip with moderate topspin. If I get stuck running wide, I'll go to a Continental because it's easier to chip it back and keep the rally going. Same thing is true against big servers: try a Continental on the return sometime...

i think at this stage i am quite happy using eastern grip on my ground game as well as slicing. just serving and serve & volley that needs major overhaul.
i had in the past used continential on forehand. i have 2hbh that works really well.
i had tried many times using continential grip for volley and very quickly (maybe 2 or 3 volleys) i go back to eastern grip as i felt like a sitting duck dumping the ball into the net. i am hoping that by using continential grip for serve, it will give me a better feel holding the racket and all. by so, volley better.

if i can actually serve decently, i will be more than happy to adopt to serve and volley. i will definitly rule the court! it will be a huge challenge as i need to get fit for the mad dash to the net.

ps60
05-17-2007, 10:10 AM
if u S & V yes probably...
that is if u volley with Continental too of course.

changing to Con from Eastern at serve is as weird as doing that in volley. it is not very easy at first.

For volley there is a good reason, u don't need to change grip on both sides. For serve, i really don't think it is necessary. It is good for topspin serve. but not as natural in flat serve and i had the best (unintentional) slice serves with an Eastern grip :grin:

skiracer55
05-17-2007, 12:35 PM
- I was using an Eastern backhand grip on the serve last year; my coach (Sam Winterbotham, former Head Men's Coach at Colorado University in Boulder) had me move over to Continental because (a) that's what all the power servers in today's game are using and (b) if you've got a clean stroke and a good toss, you can get just as much slice or topspin with a Continental as you can with an Eastern backhand. Works like a charm for me, my serve is faster, more varied, more consistent this year.

I think people misunderstand grips. In general, for example, a Western or semi-Western grip is more conducive to topspin...but that doesn't mean you can't hit topspin with an Eastern or even Continental grip. I also think you're going to see a coaching mode emerge that says it's okay to use whatever grip is appropriate for the situation, which I've discovered works just fine for me, see my above post.

- Having said all that good stuff, Continental seems to work best for me and for most people, IMHO, on the volley...as above, you don't have to change grips, which you often don't have time for...and, of course, if you have to hit an overhead or half-volley, Continental works just fine. If Continental doesn't work for you on the volley, whatever...but you might want to ask yourself why not, because there could be something wrong with your stroke itself...

spadesss
05-17-2007, 12:58 PM
- I was using an Eastern backhand grip on the serve last year; my coach (Sam Winterbotham, former Head Men's Coach at Colorado University in Boulder) had me move over to Continental because (a) that's what all the power servers in today's game are using and (b) if you've got a clean stroke and a good toss, you can get just as much slice or topspin with a Continental as you can with an Eastern backhand. Works like a charm for me, my serve is faster, more varied, more consistent this year.

I think people misunderstand grips. In general, for example, a Western or semi-Western grip is more conducive to topspin...but that doesn't mean you can't hit topspin with an Eastern or even Continental grip. I also think you're going to see a coaching mode emerge that says it's okay to use whatever grip is appropriate for the situation, which I've discovered works just fine for me, see my above post.

- Having said all that good stuff, Continental seems to work best for me and for most people, IMHO, on the volley...as above, you don't have to change grips, which you often don't have time for...and, of course, if you have to hit an overhead or half-volley, Continental works just fine. If Continental doesn't work for you on the volley, whatever...but you might want to ask yourself why not, because there could be something wrong with your stroke itself...

skiracer55...after 10 plus years of using eastern grip to serve, i am experiencing some pain in my right hand. pinpoints to thumb, index finger and the muscle right below the thumb area. i developed some serious pain that right after i played, i couldn't twist open a cap on my gatorage.
have you ever experience this from your change over?

a few other people also had posted that they had this bad experience going tom eastern to continential but not aas severe as mine.

skiracer55
05-18-2007, 01:54 PM
skiracer55...after 10 plus years of using eastern grip to serve, i am experiencing some pain in my right hand. pinpoints to thumb, index finger and the muscle right below the thumb area. i developed some serious pain that right after i played, i couldn't twist open a cap on my gatorage.
have you ever experience this from your change over?

a few other people also had posted that they had this bad experience going tom eastern to continential but not aas severe as mine.

...and I'm not a doctor, but let me theorize a little. First, I'd get some rest, ice, and so forth, and go back to your old grip. If that makes the pain go away, well, you have your answer, at least for the mean time. One thing...I scanned back through your posts, and I see that you previously used an Eastern grip on your serve...but it's not totally clear to me if it's an Eastern forehand grip or an Eastern backhand. My previous serve grip was an Eastern backhand, which will give lots of spin, potentially, but tends to cut down on the power...because of the natural angle of the racket face relative to the ball using that grip. An Eastern forehand on the serve is a different story; in general, it's going to be pretty hard to get any kind of spin or pace on the ball with an Eastern forehand grip on the serve...but as I say above, potentially, you can do anything you want with any grip on any stroke.

Having said all that good stuff, if a Continental is giving you that kind of pain on the serve, I think...and here I'm just guessing...it might be one or both of two things:

- You've got a death grip on the racket. My theory, on any stroke, has always been what one of the old Aussies said about the volley: grip the racket as lightly as possible and then squeeze at contact. My wrist/grip/etc. is very loose on the serve right up until contact, then I give it that little squeeze.

- There's something off with your service stroke or your motion that's causing a lot of load on your hand using the Continental.

If you had some video, I'd be happy to take a look at it. The disclaimer is...I'm not a certified tennis professional. What I am is a PSIA Level 3 certified ski instructor and a Level 1 certified US Ski Association Coach...so I know how to teach and how to coach. I've played tennis, and observed same, for many years, and my last series of coaches were exceptionally good, so I think I've picked up a lot, and the people I coach informally (my hitting partners, mostly), think I'm helping them a lot. So having said all that, if there's something more you think I can help you with, by all means, lemmeno...

spadesss
05-21-2007, 07:34 AM
- You've got a death grip on the racket. My theory, on any stroke, has always been what one of the old Aussies said about the volley: grip the racket as lightly as possible and then squeeze at contact. My wrist/grip/etc. is very loose on the serve right up until contact, then I give it that little squeeze.

the death grip may be true. i am trying very hard to do it right so i might have gripped it a bit too hard and not realized it.

no video...i wished i can afford a camera!

so after a week of no tennis....my hand is about 90% better.
i am planing to play tomorrow after work so wish me luck.

skiracer55
05-21-2007, 09:04 AM
the death grip may be true. i am trying very hard to do it right so i might have gripped it a bit too hard and not realized it.

no video...i wished i can afford a camera!

so after a week of no tennis....my hand is about 90% better.
i am planing to play tomorrow after work so wish me luck.

...keep us posted!

spadesss
05-21-2007, 09:09 AM
the guy i am playing tomorrow is twice my age but is a lot mote athetic (and active) and got more game then me.
he is a 4.0 and beat me like 3-4 years ago, easily.
i would be happy to get 3 & 4 games from him.
my goal is not hit more than 3 double faults a set. that is it.
i am not asking a lot here. IF my serves go in, i would not be suprise if i beat him, but its a long shot.

Jlocke
05-21-2007, 10:28 AM
I was very fortunate in high school that our coach was also a club pro in town. He taught me the continental serve because it was the "neutral" position. I used it for years before switching to the eastern bh grip. I used the eastern fh grip when I was younger to essentially push the ball using my body rotation. I am just speculating here, but if you are using the continental grip while using eastern fh mechanincs you will develop wrist pain. My guess is that you need to study the kinetic chain style of serving that uses the continental grip so that your wrist will more or less float through the motion. Consequently the whole of the serving motion should be fluid and natural - with practice.