PDA

View Full Version : Head Hunting @ high school matches

Mark Vessels
05-17-2007, 12:49 PM
O.k. Tennis Coaches are not even tennis intelligent enough to know that head hunting is illegal in matches but this guy with a killer serve and overhead just kept killing us in doubles. Kinda of mad but went for him too. Slmost got him

boobik2371
05-17-2007, 01:45 PM
Head hunting?

iplaybetter
05-17-2007, 03:34 PM
i had 4 shots taken at my head, two over heads, and two serves, while i was at net during doubles, not returning
this is ms #1 doubles, the same guy also made a ton of bad calls

N4n45h1
05-17-2007, 03:53 PM
i nearly got hit a few times also....
but i still won =D when they aimed at my head i would dodge it and they would land out

AgassiFan12
05-17-2007, 04:13 PM
I don't know that it's illegal, it's certainly not very nice but I haven't heard of a rule that outlaws hitting someone during a match.

DrewRafter8
05-17-2007, 04:22 PM
In NC 3A, we don't necessarily have a rule against head hunting. As a Coach, I can tell you that there's no such rule b/c of the amount of "non" tennis playing coaches. They don't know the USTA regs from the NCHSAA regs. However, I saw my players do this in one match and I chewed them out. They also did quite a bit of running afterwards. High School players represent their school and they have to always remember that. Also, this is a "gentlemen's game."

Matt_MS
05-17-2007, 04:35 PM
Head hunting isn't illegal at all, and if you're on the run for a ball that you would otherwise hit out, it may be a good idea to occasionally aim for the net player.

But other than that, you should be hitting passing shots, not target practice.

zzzbrianxxx
05-17-2007, 04:41 PM
This isn't illegal at all. You don't HAVE to be at the net. Your whining about it. Just because your at the net he's not allowed to hit in your direction? Don't be ridiculous. I don't care if it's at your body or at your head, it's part of the game.

DRtenniS1112
05-17-2007, 04:43 PM
Head hunting is not illegal!

103xStateChamp
05-17-2007, 05:46 PM
I do it if I dont like the kid or if he makes bad calls or if he's really ugly..lol

XhotXEX1290
05-17-2007, 07:22 PM
Head hunting is legal...if you can't take the heat get out of the kitchen...lol common cliche

Hedges
05-18-2007, 06:12 AM
IMO, hitting at the net man is a valid tactic of intimidation with the goal of taking the net away from the opponents...a primary goal in doubles.

It is considered bad taste if
1) The match is non-competitive or it is one-sided.
2) One could have *more* *easily* hit a winner into the open court.
3) The match is mixed doubles.

People who don't understand this get upset when this tactic is employed. Just sincerely apologize: "I'm really sorry, but this is a competitive situation and not social tennis. If I were you, I'd back off the net."

It is no different than hitting lobs or drop shots. Of course, it is bad taste to drop shot a seriously overweight person in a one-sided match. But, it certainly isn't illegal.

Tennis is a gentleman's game...but so is war ;-)

103xStateChamp
05-20-2007, 06:27 AM
LOL I play with my fat friend all the time he has a mean serve but it is so easy to drop shot him lol he is sometimes by doubles partner for small tournaments