PDA

View Full Version : Nerve in my back

mrfurious
09-22-2004, 01:47 PM
I've always had moderate problems with my arm (wrist, elbow, biceps, shoulder) and I've been to a chiropractor several times. Each time I go, he tells me that I've pinched a nerve in my spine which leads to the pain I feel in my arm. So he cracks my back and it gets better.

My problem is that I keep pinching this nerve and my chiropractic visits are becoming more and more frequent. I really need to find a more permanent solution. Any advice?

Mike Hughes
09-23-2004, 08:28 PM
There are a few things that could contribute to your inability to hold a chiropractic correction. One of these would be muscle involvement. Since muscles move joints, there is a possibility that you have one or more inhibited muscles due to some uncorrected or recurring stress on the tendon receptors and/or muscle spindle fibres. Ask your chiropractic doc if he knows any applied kinesiology for this. Another cause could be malfunctioning adrenal glands that are contributing to ligament laxity, causing your joints to be too loose. You might be able to get an adrenal profile done at a good naturopathic office. Also, you could mention to your chiropractic doc to perform Raglan's postural hypotension test for hypoadrenia. There might be other chemical imbalances that could be contributing to this, as well as repetitive stress.

netman
09-27-2004, 09:56 AM
Have you been checked for spinal stenosis? This is a narrowing of the openings through the vertebrae which the spinal nerves pass through. If you are older this could be a culprit as it typically comes on with age. Certain movements will cause the opening to the get even smaller, irritating the affected nerve directly, or irritating the disk which can swell and irritate the nerve.

jwagnersd@hotmail.com
12-26-2011, 11:27 AM
Well, I've been diagnosed with severe lumbar stenosis. I'm doing exercises from Egoscue's Pain Free book, traction with the physical therapist, ice, ibubrofen, warm baths and considering surgery. I'd love to hear from anyone who has come back from stenosis to play competitively in leagues and tournaments. I'm a female and was playing at 4.0 level, thinking it was a strain of both hamstrings from glute to behind knees, that I sustained 12 months ago. But, it's pinched nerves due to stenosis in spine. The best help so far has been the exercises and the traction.

El Diablo
12-26-2011, 11:31 AM
^^ stenosis means a narrowing of the canal due to usually arthritis or spondylolisthesis. Not something that is likely to respond to anything but surgery. Warm baths???