PDA

View Full Version : Help! adjusting to 100in racket

saqdeez
05-17-2007, 03:43 PM
I have had this problem before with the radical tour, which is 100 in, having it a little bit now with the APD.

I am used to a 98 in racket and the aerodynamic difference is pretty big IMO. With the mfil 300 My forehand is awesome, I think because i have great racket speed and it is a thin design.

I hit with the APD today and while I was very good on the 2hbh side, I was struggling with the forehand. It is just hard for me to brush up on the ball quickly. I attribute this to the bigger size even though it is lighter. Im sure half of it is just an adjustment period, but has anyone else had a similar experience with bigger rackets?

drakulie
05-17-2007, 03:54 PM
Sounds like you just need to adjust to the racquet. If you enjoy the feel and performance of the racquet, just give it a while. There are always "down times" when going from one racquet to another.

Good luck.

Teh_pwnerer
05-17-2007, 04:32 PM
Same thing here with my k95 adjusting to the weightand headsize, ive always used 100 sq inch racquets, i started playing with mine around april 20th now im very comfortable with it and my overall game has improved a lot, just give it time, besides i think the APD is a great racquet for what i've read around the forums

zapvor
05-17-2007, 06:21 PM
its easier to switch up to a bigger size...so you probably just need to get used to it. no big deal i think.

goober
05-17-2007, 10:11 PM
Going from a 98 to 100 is barely noticeable in terms of headsize. Put a 98 and 100 inch racquets overlaying each other and the difference will be miniscule. You probably are having difficulty adjusting to other properties of the racquet like weight /SW and balance.

KingOfTennis
05-18-2007, 04:05 AM
hahaha 98-100? need adjusting??? i went from a 105inch to 90inch and had no difficulties. actualy it made me improve by reducing the headsize. It allowed me to focus, and concentrate on watching the ball which improved my game.

kevhen
05-18-2007, 05:22 AM
Probably the weighting and balance of the racquet is affecting you more than the 2 inch head size difference. Do you know what the weight and balance points are of these two racquets?

saqdeez
05-18-2007, 08:49 AM
Its gotta be the balance and lighter weight. It is easier for me to swing smaller frames because it cuts through the air easier.

saqdeez
05-19-2007, 08:47 AM
Well today i figured it out, and i was a very bad man on the tennis court. I just used more of a extreme grip and took a full cut at the ball, and the results were pretty sweet. I was absolutely crushing some first serves. A very fun racket!!!

Bagumbawalla
05-19-2007, 06:30 PM
I agree with most of the above comments. When you get used to a particular racket and the then switch to another, you are unconsciously looking for that same feel/ballance/weight. Instead, you are feeling something silghtly different.

Eventually, you will find the grip/swingpath/sweetspot/strikespot and so forth that gives you the right feel for the new racket.

Just give it time,

B

SFtennisGG
05-19-2007, 09:57 PM
offtopic: saqdeez, do you feel your APD is not as head light as your 300? Ive been playing with the APD for awhile now and recently I picked up a pure drive and the difference in balance was quite noticeable.