PDA

View Full Version : Overheads and volleys at the WALL.

rbowser
05-17-2007, 04:04 PM
I know how you practice volleys at the wall, but I let it bounce once, since I don't know how to hit it to the wall and hit a volley without letting it bounce because it's too sudden and fast. Also, people mentioned practicing overheads at the WALL. Like a paddleball wall or something about 25 feet or higher. How do you practice overheads since my hitting partner cant hit them and I need to practice them.

Vision84
05-17-2007, 04:19 PM
Never heard of hitting overheads against a wall. That sounds absurd to me. If you partner can't get your overheads back then just have him catch the ball and hit it up again or just do it from a bucket.

For volleys just make sure you make quick tiny chops at the ball and keep the racket out in front.

10s talk
05-17-2007, 04:58 PM
to hit an overhead stand 10-15 ' from the wall, hit a serve that bounces 3 or 4 feet in front of the wall, then the next shot will be an overhead

Nuke
05-17-2007, 05:10 PM
10s talk has it. No, you don't needs a 25-foot wall to do it. You slap the ball down hard in front of the wall and it bounces UP off the wall. Another shot you can practice at the wall with this technique is getting lobbed OVER, so you have to run back and hit the ball behind you. That one comes in handy if you come to the net much.

Slazenger
05-17-2007, 10:41 PM
Practising overheads against the wall is all about preparation, setting up, good form etc. It is not about the overhead itself.

It doesn't translate to the tennis court. Except for the few overheads you will get right on top of the net, most of the overheads you hit in a match will be at service line area and further back. If you hit these like you hit them on the wall, you will be hitting your overheads into the bottom of the net.

What I like to do on the wall is hit like 5 overheads , just focusing on form, proper footwork, preparation and then hit the last one as a real overhead. It will hit the wall above the net line instead of the ground infront of the wall.

Volleying with the wall is sort of the same for me. I start at the service line and with each volley move forward till I'm really close to the wall. it's all about form, keeping my eyes on the ball, footwork and not the actual volley., Doesn't translate to a court.

Nuke
05-18-2007, 03:52 AM
Slaz, no you CAN practice the overhead OK against the wall. You do not hit the overhead down on the ground, that's just the set-up shot to get the ball in the air. You hit a normal overhead ABOVE the net line on the wall, then catch the ball. Then, from your hand, you hit the next set-up shot for the next overhead. So, every other shot is an overhead, alternating with the set-up shot. Of course you don't want to practice overheads that hit the bottom of the net!

nhatduongchi
05-18-2007, 09:35 PM
When try volleys to a wall don't use new ball, just save some flat ball and hit with it.

BeachTennis
05-19-2007, 03:27 AM
x-mass day 1991 Connecticut= 15 degrees and one small spot of ice!

volleys and overheads + Ice = ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUiMMkwN8tY