PDA

View Full Version : Ball hitting post and going in..

MTXR
05-17-2007, 11:39 PM
Today i was playing some tennis.

Someone hit a ground stroke and hit the inside of the post, gap between the net and the post and it ricocheted into the court and we didn't get to it. Is this their point? They claimed that it was legal. I was like wth.. Gave them the point anyway and kept playing..

Slazenger
05-17-2007, 11:43 PM
Not legal.

psp2
05-17-2007, 11:44 PM

Someone hit a ground stroke and hit the inside of the post, gap between the net and the post and it ricocheted into the court and we didn't get to it. Is this their point? They claimed that it was legal. I was like wth.. Gave them the point anyway and kept playing..

The point is theirs.

25. A GOOD RETURN (OLD 24)
It is a good return if:
a. The ball touches the net, net posts/singles sticks, cord or metal
cable, strap or band, provided that it passes over any of them and
hits the ground within the correct court; except as provided in Rule
2 and 24 (d); or

EDIT: Hmmmm, I really didn't understand whether the ball hit the netpost and went over the net, or hit the netpost and went through an opening (which seems very odd) and not over the net.

MTXR
05-17-2007, 11:50 PM
basically as long as you hit it in, like around the net post hits the netpost, etc... except for hitting lights, scorecard and such its still a live ball..

Slazenger
05-18-2007, 12:09 AM
Not legal. The OP said the ball went between (not over) the net and the net pos, hit the net post and ricocheted back into the court.

Point is the Ops.

Solat
05-18-2007, 12:19 AM
yep true, there in reality should be no gap between the net and the post making this shot impossible

lethalfang
05-18-2007, 02:03 AM
Most likely, the width of the net was set up for the doubles, and he was actually playing singles. So there shouldn't be net there if it were a singles' net.

Hot Sauce
05-18-2007, 02:06 AM
Not legal, unless of course you call "bank!"

JLyon
05-18-2007, 07:52 AM
net post is a permanent fixture and thus you lose the point.

x Southpaw x
05-18-2007, 08:01 AM
Wasn't there some video a long time ago where Richard Gasquet was returning a serve with a slice and it hit the top of the metal net post and bounced in and he got that point?

Andrew
05-18-2007, 08:15 AM
I remember I saw one on TV last year when it hit the net cord between the net and the post and it was ruled good, but not the post itself, and not below the height of the net.

Douggo
05-18-2007, 08:18 AM
One vote for "it's your point because it didn't go over the net; it effectively went through the net."
And I know it doesn't have to be higher than the net if you hit it around the post - but then that's not the same as hitting the post, is it?

Squall Leonheart
05-18-2007, 01:06 PM
Wasn't there some video a long time ago where Richard Gasquet was returning a serve with a slice and it hit the top of the metal net post and bounced in and he got that point?

The OP would have lost the point if this were the case. Here, the ball bounced over or around the net and landed in.

Not legal. The OP said the ball went between (not over) the net and the net pos, hit the net post and ricocheted back into the court.

Point is the Ops.

In this case, the ball hit the net post and went through the gap between the post and the net, which is not legal.

psp2
05-18-2007, 01:37 PM
net post is a permanent fixture and thus you lose the point.

I recommend that you read the Rules of Tennis first.

JavierLW
05-18-2007, 01:39 PM

Actually there was a Tennis Magazine article where something like this was mentioned.

To those who say the net post is a permenant fixture, you are wrong (most of the time), the net post is part of the net. The ball can hit the net post. It just cant hit a scorecard, ball tray, or anything attached to the net post.

However there is only one way that the OP's shot could be close to legal. If it was a singles match with singles sticks, then that specific shot is legal if hadnt touched anything because that isnt any diffrent than hitting around the post with a single net. However because the net post is outside the bounds of a singles stick it then becomes a permanent fixture (along with the part of the net outside of the singles stick), so you lose the point if you hit it. Here is the rule (Rule 25 d):

d. The ball passes under the net cord between the singles stick and the
adjacent net post without touching either net, net cord or net post and
hits the ground in the correct court

lawrence
05-18-2007, 04:23 PM
ummmmmmmmmm.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2j8LvbawVo

Brian_C
05-18-2007, 06:21 PM
wow if thats true my friend owes me money >.> i paid 10 bucks for nothing.. hehe he bet he could be me but he did... but... i hit pole and he sed it didnt count when i had adv on a 5/6 hmm i would have won

JavierLW
05-18-2007, 08:14 PM
ummmmmmmmmm.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2j8LvbawVo

In your video the ball hit the singles stick. That's a whole diffrent issue, the singles stick is like the post and is part of the net (when you dont have a singles stick). Anything outside of the singles stick is a permenant fixture and is not in play.

What's your point?

JavierLW
05-18-2007, 08:16 PM
wow if thats true my friend owes me money >.> i paid 10 bucks for nothing.. hehe he bet he could be me but he did... but... i hit pole and he sed it didnt count when i had adv on a 5/6 hmm i would have won

He sure suckered you then. The pole is part of the net (if there is no singles stick).

You should protest!

It can hit the pole as long as the ball travels either over the net cord, or around the side of the pole. (it cant go underneath the net cord unless you have singles sticks, but then it cant hit the pole)