PDA

View Full Version : Anyone in the Denver area

Illegal_edge
09-22-2004, 03:12 PM
I am look for a hitting partner or just someone to play a few games with in the metro-Denver area.

Kaptain Karl
09-22-2004, 05:45 PM
Assuming you are male (boys season is now; girls in spring) and without knowing what level you are ... I’d still suggest you go watch some of the HS matches at Gateway or Rangeview. (They play Tuesdays and Thursdays at 3:30, but you only have a 50-50 chance they’ll be playing at Home if you “just show up.” Call the schools’ athletic departments to learn their schedules.) Many of the kids -- and depending on your age -- many of their parents will enjoy meeting new tennis players. (If you are really good, Cherry Creek HS has the best team in the state. They could beat many college teams. Go see and meet them, near Belleview and Yosemite.)

Also, Utah Park, near Iliff and Peoria has lots of courts. Get over there and start introducing yourself.

(Many years ago, I worked just a few blocks from Utah Park.)
Good luck!

- KK

Illegal_edge
09-22-2004, 05:55 PM
Thanks, but I played at Gateway and the squad this year is not any good. Also I play at Del mar park but they only play doubles. Utah park has nice courts but its hard to find someone at my level to play with. Most people at Utah are waiting for someone and don't want to hit until they get there. As far as going to CCHS, I am good but I am not a god. I am at the 4.5- 5.0 level and its hard to find someone thats 20 years old that plays at any of these places regulary and is as good a player. Thanks though.

Kaptain Karl
09-24-2004, 01:55 PM
”Sick bird” (Get it? Clue at end of post.) - Good. It seems like you are already being pretty creative in your search for good hitting partners. (Rangeview's team is probably *worse* than Gateway's.) Don’t give up.

Did you play any tournaments this summer? That’s a good way to meet more players ... but not necessarily from your immediate area.

How about joining or investigating a league? That way, you’re more likely to meet players from your side of town.

I’m in Castle Rock. I got sick of having to go to H. Ranch or Inverness for decent tennis. We have *zero* tennis facilities with more than four courts ... and only one of those ... which makes C Rock having a league very difficult. So last year I started a Ladder.

Last year we had only six guys. This year we’re up to sixteen. We range from 3.0 - 5.5. I can almost always get some good local hitting now. (We also range from 18 - 73(!). But the majority of us are 35 -50....)

[Clue: Illegal ... “ill eagle” ... sick bird.]

- KK

tonmcg
09-24-2004, 09:42 PM
I'm a 4.5 and am always looking for more hitting opportunities. I live in Broomfield-which can be a drive from Denver-and I play about 4-5 times a week. This summer I've just started to play tournaments and want to play more. Feel free to contact me.

Tony McGovern
tonmcg@yahoo.com

JeffG
09-28-2004, 12:51 PM
You might want to check out the Gates Tennis Center. It's between Cherry Creek Mall and Colorado Boulevard. They have what's supposedly the largest tennis ladder in the U.S.

They charge for court time but it was pretty reasonable when I lived in Denver three years ago.

Gates Tennis Center
100 South Adams Street, Denver, CO 80209
(303) 355-4461

You might also check at Wash Park. The courts there always seemed pretty busy (with talent levels all over the map).

Good luck.

Kaptain Karl
09-28-2004, 01:51 PM
Good tips, Jeff. I used to live in W. Wash Park. You can almost always get an impromptu game there. Good people too....

- KK

katarddx
10-16-2004, 08:16 PM
try washington park! the best place with best people in Denver! You WILL always find someone to hit with.

Masamusou
10-17-2004, 02:13 PM
I'm in Golden, but my schedule is busy during the week.