PDA

View Full Version : Sneakers in the Washing Machine.

Craig Sheppard
05-18-2007, 06:34 AM
Who here uses a washing machine to clean sneakers? If you do, do you use detergent? Like normal Tide or something? Do you run it on cold/warm/hot or delicate/normal cycle, etc? I'd be very nervous about doing this...

croatian sensation
05-18-2007, 07:51 AM
Me. All sneakers, even some shoes...whatever it is I throw it in the washing machine. I never had any trouble.
Just put them inside a pillow case.Wash them on cold (40° we call it here..hope that's the translation) and turn off that fast spinning at the end of the cycle...wouldn't know the name in English. But if you ever saw a washing machine, you know what I mean :-)

origmarm
05-18-2007, 07:58 AM
Yeah I just wash them cold on the delicates wash with regular detergent, don't bother putting them in a pillow case though I might try that now

thanu
05-18-2007, 08:07 AM
Depends on the shoe. I remember I had two pairs of Nike Profilers (really light tennis shoes) with zoom air technology, and I threw those shoes in the wash all the time and they were fine. I threw my Nike Breathe Frees in the wash, and now they squeak. I would probably wash any shoe that doesn't have air max cushioning. So far I've washed New Blance tennis shoes, Nike shoes with air zoom cushioning, Reebok Bonzers, all with no problem.

Thanu

dennis1188
05-18-2007, 03:28 PM
I only use 'tumble' low impact type washer, costco low suds detergent. warm/cold temp/water setting. Shoes in a washing net. My B2s and T-10 r fine.
Air dry only. Do not machine dry!

fastdunn
05-18-2007, 05:14 PM
I use it sometimes but that machine is not as effective as with washing
clothings, IMO. I brush off some area of shoes before I throw it in
if I really want it clean.

zapvor
05-18-2007, 08:38 PM
i never got the washing shoe thing. why cant you just do it by hand? i think its better. if you care about your shoes that much, then dont be lazy and sit down, get out the toothbrush and scrub that thing by hand. i love my shoes, and they love me back:p

armand
05-18-2007, 09:10 PM
One time one of my mom's friends was washing her bed sheets at the Laundromat and she left her machine unattended. When she returned and the cycle was done, some kid went over to her machine and took his shoes out(he had put them in there will she was gone)! Needless to say she was livid, enraged because her sheets were ruined.

Well, the story ends with the shoes being destroyed and her serving 16 days in jail.

Serve 'em hard
05-18-2007, 09:24 PM
One time one of my mom's friends was washing her bed sheets at the Laundromat and she left her machine unattended. When she returned and the cycle was done, some kid went over to her machine and took his shoes out(he had put them in there will she was gone)! Needless to say she was livid, enraged because her sheets were ruined.

Well, the story ends with the shoes being destroyed and her serving 16 days in jail.

Now how about telling us the interesting part of the story?

croatian sensation
05-19-2007, 02:04 AM
i never got the washing shoe thing. why cant you just do it by hand? i think its better. if you care about your shoes that much, then dont be lazy and sit down, get out the toothbrush and scrub that thing by hand. i love my shoes, and they love me back:p

I scrub around 5 pairs of flip-flops, one big pale yellow bag which gets dirty in 2 days and one pair of white flat shoes.
Oh yes, I throw the tennis shoes in the washing machine.

Northpaw
05-19-2007, 07:05 PM
I just used my washing machine to clean my barricade 4's. Wow, I cannot believe how well that worked. The wash took off 6 months of wear on them. I'll definitely be using the washing machine to wash my shoes from now on.

jonolau
05-19-2007, 08:21 PM
I'd be a bit careful against sticking more expensive sneakers with air/shock absorbing packets inserted into the soles such as Nike BFIII etc. What may happen is that the agitation plus alkalinity from detergents may deteriorate the adhesives thus causing these packets to delaminate from the insole. When this occurs, it may move around slightly when you're runnning about and that's could be the cause of the squeaking sounds.

I used to soak my Nikes in detergent overnight after they had been filled with perspiration, and the front sole air bubble delaminated.

Best thing is just to wash and hang dry immediately, making sure to rinse off all detergents properly first.

zapvor
05-22-2007, 02:47 PM
I scrub around 5 pairs of flip-flops, one big pale yellow bag which gets dirty in 2 days and one pair of white flat shoes.
Oh yes, I throw the tennis shoes in the washing machine.

thats even worse! shoes> flip flops. how can you love the flip flops over the tennis shoe! i guess thats why you are a girl...:p

armand
06-11-2007, 06:57 AM
Now how about telling us the interesting part of the story?Those records are sealed in court documents and I've had a gag order(odour) enacted on myself until the year 2012. Ask me again then