PDA

View Full Version : hitting too close to body

fabiola
05-18-2007, 08:19 AM
I have a forehand the works well but my brother says I hit the ball in front of me too close to my body. He says I can get more power if I hit it further in front of me. I hit a nice topspin consistent forehand but my coach also says I need more ball speed.

I hate to make changes in my swing unless it will really improve my shots.

What do you think?

Voltron
05-18-2007, 08:37 AM
You should hit your forehand in front of you.

JavierLW
05-18-2007, 08:38 AM
I have a forehand the works well but my brother says I hit the ball in front of me too close to my body. He says I can get more power if I hit it further in front of me. I hit a nice topspin consistent forehand but my coach also says I need more ball speed.

I hate to make changes in my swing unless it will really improve my shots.

What do you think?

I think you can hit it closer to your body (if Im picturing correctly what you are talking about). At least the contact point can be closer, and as you follow thru you extend your arm out. Depending on what grip you use that is which is important to consider.

I think you actually get more power that way, then by swinging too far away from you because you can get more body weight into it, which is the good way to generate power rather than by just swinging at the ball really fast.

What level of HS tennis is this, one of the better top teams, or one of the more recreation type public school teams? Your coach doesnt necessarily know what he's talking about. Is he a professional tennis instructor or one of the gym teacher types?

fabiola
05-18-2007, 08:57 AM
That is great advice. I will try that. We are a top team in the state.

richw76
05-18-2007, 09:08 AM
Javier is right on. if the ball is to close you can't shift your weight into it. But if you try to hit to far ahead you will lose your balance, and that will reduce your power, control, consistancy, and ability to get into position for the next hit.

I'd say get a ball machine if possible and find that spot were you're not falling over and you get good shoulder rotation/weight transfer. When you find the right spot you'll know it. Try to keep the ball there. Once you groove your swing go back to your brother........

At the end of the Day the real question is "Do I trust my Coach/Brother" If you are winning and you think you're reaching your potential, and they are full of garbage then don't listen... but if you are limiting your progress by being stuborn your are only hurting yourself.

fabiola
05-18-2007, 09:33 AM
Thanks for the good tips. I use a full western grip.