PDA

View Full Version : How to hit a topsin forehand?!?!

KewlBum8
09-22-2004, 04:08 PM
Hi, I am a beginner-intermediate player. I hit only flat forehands and would like to know how to hit a topspin forehand. Instructions and even pictures would be very helpful. Also, what are the benefits of hitting topspin forehands.

Illegal_edge
09-22-2004, 04:35 PM
To hit a topspin forehand your need to use a low to high swing. By that I mean that you start your swing below the point of contact. Then using a open racquet face swing up and "brush" up the back of the ball and follow through like you would with your flat forehand. Now, there are different grips to use to enhance the spin. Theres the semi-western, which is the most popular in the pro and rec games. Also, there is the full western grip which is popular with dirtballers (clay court players). The full western grip produces the most topspin by far but its difficult to master. I feel the best way to learn the grips is to see them. Heres the link to Tennis.com's grip guid. http://www.tennis.com/instruction/fullstory.sps?inewsid=25693&itype=1481

Bungalo Bill
09-22-2004, 04:56 PM
Start below the ball, and go up through the ball, and finish high. It is that simple.

KewlBum8
09-22-2004, 06:02 PM
what's a closed racquet?

wshhmm
09-22-2004, 06:06 PM
a closed racquet is not an open one. hehe, I don't know how to say it.

Illegal_edge
09-22-2004, 06:24 PM
By open I mean that the racquet strings are facing the net. A closed racquet face is one in which the string are facing the ground.

Rickson
09-22-2004, 08:13 PM
By closed I mean that the racquet strings are facing the net. A closed racquet face is one in which the string are facing the ground.So which is it?

In all seriousness, a closed face, topspin forehand might be difficult for a beginner. I think a square faced topspin fh might be easier to learn. You can hit a topspin forehand with closed face, open face, any face, as long as you swing from low to high on the ball.

Illegal_edge
09-22-2004, 08:16 PM
there is that better??????? lol

Rickson
09-22-2004, 08:57 PM
there is that better??????? lolYes better, but don't you think a closed face topspin might be tough for a beginner to learn? Carlos Moya likes hitting with this technique, but from my experience, beginners aren't very good with a closed face.

Illegal_edge
09-22-2004, 08:59 PM
your da pro!

Rickson
09-22-2004, 09:09 PM
your da pro!
I'm not a pro, edge. Your title changes as your post count goes up. I'm just asking your opinion on why you think a closed face is good for topspin. I'm not saying it's not because I take a semi closed face on my forehand too, but it's a little tough for a beginner-intermediate. Just my 2 cents.

Illegal_edge
09-22-2004, 09:12 PM
Rickson wrote
I'm not a pro, edge. Your title changes as your post count goes up. I'm just asking your opinion on why you think a closed face is good for topspin. I'm not saying it's not because I take a semi closed face on my forehand too, but it's a little tough for a beginner-intermediate. Just my 2 cents.
I know this, i am not that kind of newbie, thanks for the insight though buddy!
What I was trying to say was use a open face racquet but i goofed and said closed instead. It was a mistake, and i corrected it. Besides, I can't even hit topspin with a closed face racquet.....yet.

Camilio Pascual
09-23-2004, 03:48 AM
I've recently advised this in another thread. Get a 50 or 75 ball hopper and some Gamma 2 tone (purple or blue and yellow) or Tretorn Micro X white/yellow pressureless balls. Do NOT go to hit against a wall. Stand at the baseline, drop the ball so it will bounce above your knees and to as high as your waist and practice a high-low-high swing, with the racquet brushing up the back of the ball as you strike it. Look at the amount of spin on the ball after you hit it. Experiment and develop a stroke that will give you good spin with a moderately high net clearance and land in the back half of the backcourt. Remember to bend your knees to get down low to the ball and use your body's coming up and forward to impart spin and power to the shot. Do this over and over and over and over....You get the point. Good luck.