PDA

View Full Version : Natural Talent

monkeyisland90
05-18-2007, 11:19 AM
I've been practicing hard around 5 days a week with drills that are used by many for about a couple years now and seem to develop my game bit more. However, there is this one guy who started out same time as me but never practices at all and seems to do a lot better. In the game of tennis, are there just your naturally born tennis players that pretty much are good from the start. While average joes like me take years of practice only to get good but not great... it kind of sucks because i put in a lot of effort but realize some people don't have to and they are still good... :p Ok, i'll stop grumbling and stop focusing on others...

Noir
05-18-2007, 11:49 AM
>In the game of tennis, are there just your naturally born tennis players that pretty much are good from the start.
Yes, of course. Just like anything, some people just seem to have more of an aptitude and progress more quickly than others. It's all very personal, so don't let it get to you.

LuckyR
05-18-2007, 11:56 AM
Do you mean the guy wins a lot without practicing, or that he has pretty strokes without practicing? Two very different things...

VGP
05-18-2007, 11:57 AM
That's life, man.

dman72
05-18-2007, 12:00 PM
Lanky, agile, great hand/eye coordination, eyesight, strong joints+strong mental focus=starting way ahead on the tennis curve.

spadesss
05-18-2007, 12:02 PM
its like people who doesn't open a book and ace the class.

randomname
05-18-2007, 02:50 PM
yeah, dont get discouraged about it, like everything there are people who are just naturally good at tennis, but hard work will still get you a LONG way (people will say that its impossible for the majority of the population to get about 4.0, but ive seen a guy who had no natural aptitude to the sport make his way up to a 5.0 in about 6 years)

zapvor
05-18-2007, 02:59 PM
he may be better than you now, but keep on practicing and see where you two are a year from now.

lordmanji
05-18-2007, 05:32 PM
chances are he's thinking more about technique than you are. like how exactly to have your body to achieve the desired shot. you cant just go out there and expect to be good cuz uve played a long time (not saying you specifically). its how much u put into practice of what u learn, too.