PDA

View Full Version : Shopping tennis coaches/instructors tomorrow

dunloplayah
05-18-2007, 06:10 PM
Any questions I should definitely ask to make sure they are the right one for me?

I've got a 30 minute tomorrow a.m. and another one set up for tuesday or thursday. I'm talking with a few others and have weeded out two male "pros" already.

One guy, get this, on the phone disagreed with every single thing i said I was looking to do, told me that I was obviously all wrong about it all and was in dire need of his help. he's not getting my business, I don't care how good he might be. Funny thing is, i know his boss who runs this club via my boss. I told my boss, she told his boss...apparently he's new and has been peeing on a lot of territory trying to "get in there". Okay, not working for me, don't wish that attitude on anyone!

Any tips on how to pic someone worth the money would be greatly appreciated! thanks!
:D

Brian_C
05-18-2007, 06:17 PM
Try to find a guy whos mellow and also knows what hes talking about, I mean you know whats best for you so if they don't want to do the things you want to do there obviously a lousy pro. I mean i prefer to couch with live balls never feeds but ever now and then i get ppl who want me to feed to them. Now i hate it but its what the client wants. Find some one thats not to cocky but also can teach you a few things.

dunloplayah
05-18-2007, 06:37 PM
what's the difference from live balls to feeds? My last group instruction the coach would stand at the center service line and hit balls with his racket, kinda underhanded at us for each drill...is that feeding?

The two most promising so far are both women, is that a problem for a male player?? no disrespect to women, I don't mean it like that at all.

Should I ask about their usual coaching style? their ranking? past play or coaching experience?

Vision84
05-18-2007, 06:56 PM
My college coach is a woman and she knows her stuff so I don't think it is a problem at all.

zapvor
05-18-2007, 07:20 PM
i just want to say i am impressed with what you are trying to do. so many of us here post threads looking for help with their game in some form or another, which is fine, but i personally think it is best to just go out there and get real lessons. tennis is truly a hands on sport, and all teh advice on this forum is not as valuable as actually being on a court with a instructor, assuming they know what they are doing.

zapvor
05-18-2007, 07:21 PM
what's the difference from live balls to feeds? My last group instruction the coach would stand at the center service line and hit balls with his racket, kinda underhanded at us for each drill...is that feeding?

The two most promising so far are both women, is that a problem for a male player?? no disrespect to women, I don't mean it like that at all.

Should I ask about their usual coaching style? their ranking? past play or coaching experience?

i would definitely ask about their coaching: style, philosophy, and past experience. i dont think their ranking is as important.

Mick
05-18-2007, 07:24 PM
i just want to say i am impressed with what you are trying to do. so many of us here post threads looking for help with their game in some form or another, which is fine, but i personally think it is best to just go out there and get real lessons. tennis is truly a hands on sport, and all teh advice on this forum is not as valuable as actually being on a court with a instructor, assuming they know what they are doing.

haha. a friend of mine coaches tennis and I hate playing doubles with him because whenever I make a mistake, he would coach me on how to hit that shot better. The thing is: I beat him in singles and nobody could hit the ball perfectly all the time, even professionals.

Luckily, I don't make that many mistakes in a match.

Brian_C
05-18-2007, 07:38 PM

Well to me live ball drills are just keeping the ball in play, for example if I got a kid that wants to practice soft touch for short court. Instead of feeding him loads of balls i will hit them with him, it might be just me but i feel that you learn more with live ball drill than just feeding drills. Why, because in live balls it like your playing a game and I feel its the best way to learn because you cant always predict where the ball is going but in feeding drill i will alway pass to the same spot.

zapvor
05-18-2007, 07:50 PM
haha. a friend of mine coaches tennis and I hate playing doubles with him because whenever I make a mistake, he would coach me on how to hit that shot better. The thing is: I beat him in singles and nobody could hit the ball perfectly all the time, even professionals.

Luckily, I don't make that many mistakes in a match.

oh well thats different. haha. not cool.

Cindysphinx
05-18-2007, 09:43 PM
Hmmm.

I didn't interview the pro I'm using. I had taken lots of drill classes and therefore met lots of pros. Many of them seemed to be nice guys, but they told me the weirdest things.

The guy I'm working with now is really big on consistency and grooving strokes and not moving on to the next skill until we get the fundamentals. His opinion of which strokes needed the most work was totally different from mine. He was right. I'm glad I listened.

Tikiman53
05-18-2007, 10:02 PM
I think when you start off, you should say something like, "oh, I'm not looking for a continuous thing, I jsut want a few lessons every now and then." That way, if you don't like it, it's easy to end it. I always have trouble telling coaches that I won't be getting lessons from them anymore. It just kills me. But that's just me.

Mick
05-18-2007, 10:33 PM
oh well thats different. haha. not cool.

my cousin, he's quite serious about tennis so he got himself a coach. One day, he asked me to play with him and his coach just happened to be there at the tennis court.

He told his coach that he never could beat me and his coach did not believe it. The coach told him that I looked too pale to be a good tennis player. He did not know that at that time, I only played tennis after sundown (that day was an exception, I came to the court in daylight) :D

Mountain Ghost
05-19-2007, 09:45 AM
I’m not sure a pro who disagrees with what you are “looking” to do is inherently bad. If you didn’t need guidance and a new perspective, you wouldn’t be in the market for a pro in the first place. There are some very famous coaches out there who did some amazing things disagreeing with their students with similar attitudes. If you are looking for cushy and agreeable responses from pros who can comfort you, you might miss out on what could actually help you the most, which may cost you even more time, money and (unfulfilled) achievement in the long run.

I’d advise watching a few students of each pro play, and maybe talking to them about what the lessons have done to improve their playing and to expand their limited thinking. Off-the-court phone interviews with prospective pros can be deceiving.

MG

LuckyR
05-19-2007, 10:25 AM
I'm confused. Are you looking for a coach or an instructor?

dunloplayah
05-19-2007, 10:39 AM
Okay, had first one today. went great. hate to stop with my first pro but she was very qualified, saw my deficiencies right away but balanced that with lots of positive about what I do right. Within 30 min. I was at least 50% more consistent with my FH and BH with feeds, then her other student came in, so she set me on the backboard with some drills after some better instruction on how to use the wall. after that, she said she had an extra 30 she wouldn't charge us for until her next lesson came in. so we both stayed and ran drills. Then when her next lesson came in it was two boys 11 and 8, so while she worked with the younger one, she asked if I could stay and play a few games on the next court with the 11 yr old. who was pretty good and gave me a good run!! we had fun but it helped to continue my lesson from earlier.

I just need to lighten up on my swing right now, followthru better, and i've been rushing the ball, which is where my main timing issues are from. She said my foot work was great, my take back and prep were fine but i was hitting too early and off balance. Same on my BH. We'll work more on my BH next week, then work on cross court and down the line drills. She said at the end of the 4 weeks we'll work on pace and spin. And then we can decide how to continue but said she feels that I am a 3.0 player, but need more work on my mechanics.

So I too will hold off on the ball machine, work the wall, take the pro lessons.

Thanks to everyone here for their perspectives!! thanks to Cindy too, you started this with your other thread about ball machines!!!

dunloplayah
05-19-2007, 12:40 PM
oh, and she did both feeds at first and then live balls. a very good start!

Vision84
05-19-2007, 03:17 PM
dunloplayah I am glad you found a pro you are happy with and I hope your relationship will develop and continue to work. Feeding and then live balls is the way to go.

Spindarella
05-19-2007, 03:44 PM
I’m not sure a pro who disagrees with what you are “looking” to do is inherently bad. If you didn’t need guidance and a new perspective, you wouldn’t be in the market for a pro in the first place. There are some very famous coaches out there who did some amazing things disagreeing with their students with similar attitudes. If you are looking for cushy and agreeable responses from pros who can comfort you, you might miss out on what could actually help you the most, which may cost you even more time, money and (unfulfilled) achievement in the long run.

I’d advise watching a few students of each pro play, and maybe talking to them about what the lessons have done to improve their playing and to expand their limited thinking. Off-the-court phone interviews with prospective pros can be deceiving.

MG

I was going to say something very similar. Evaluate the pro's other students.

Brian_C
05-19-2007, 04:13 PM
woot live balls ftw

chrisak47
05-19-2007, 10:16 PM
I think a lot of the posters above me are right. Think of several questions only professional coaches really know like:

Whats the difference between a kick serve and a slice serve or soemthing like that.

Make sure they know what they are talking about...I had a high school female coach and her preferred advice is:

"Okay, today we are up again a good team because they are using good looking racquets. The best thing we can do is play our best..."

And yes, she was serious...I quit the team the next year.

LuckyR
05-20-2007, 10:38 AM
Okay, had first one today. went great. hate to stop with my first pro but she was very qualified, saw my deficiencies right away but balanced that with lots of positive about what I do right. Within 30 min. I was at least 50% more consistent with my FH and BH with feeds, then her other student came in, so she set me on the backboard with some drills after some better instruction on how to use the wall. after that, she said she had an extra 30 she wouldn't charge us for until her next lesson came in. so we both stayed and ran drills. Then when her next lesson came in it was two boys 11 and 8, so while she worked with the younger one, she asked if I could stay and play a few games on the next court with the 11 yr old. who was pretty good and gave me a good run!! we had fun but it helped to continue my lesson from earlier.

I just need to lighten up on my swing right now, followthru better, and i've been rushing the ball, which is where my main timing issues are from. She said my foot work was great, my take back and prep were fine but i was hitting too early and off balance. Same on my BH. We'll work more on my BH next week, then work on cross court and down the line drills. She said at the end of the 4 weeks we'll work on pace and spin. And then we can decide how to continue but said she feels that I am a 3.0 player, but need more work on my mechanics.

So I too will hold off on the ball machine, work the wall, take the pro lessons.

Thanks to everyone here for their perspectives!! thanks to Cindy too, you started this with your other thread about ball machines!!!

Oh, now I get it, you're looking for an instructor, not a coach. Carry on...

zapvor
05-20-2007, 06:44 PM
hitting early? i wish i could do that lol