PDA

View Full Version : Net shots

woodmo
05-18-2007, 06:29 PM
I am returning to tennis after a long hiatus and I hitting a number of shots into the net especially on the forehand side. I am old school with an Eastern forehand but I am trying to move to a semi-western forehand and learn this topspin game. I'm guessing that I may not be getting low enough on the shots or am not hitting enough low to high, or maybe not hitting the ball far enough in front of me. Any thoughts?

zapvor
05-18-2007, 06:36 PM
uh you pretty much answered it yourself. switching to semi-western is easier to get topspin, so just make sure your swing mechanics is correct. as you already said, low to high, and out in front.

Vision84
05-18-2007, 06:59 PM
I use an eastern and tried to go semi-western with my coach but ended up just keeping my eastern. He told me I wasn't coming from below the ball enough even though I felt I was. All my shots were going into the net to so I probably had the same problem as you.

SFtennisGG
05-18-2007, 11:06 PM
Does your ball sail straight into the net (ie flat) or does it loop and hit the net? If you're hitting it flat then you're going to have to work on swinging from low to high. If its the later than you're going to have to work on contact point and possibly aiming higher over the net and getting more penetration instead of brushing too much.

woodmo
05-19-2007, 06:54 AM
Does your ball sail straight into the net (ie flat) or does it loop and hit the net? If you're hitting it flat then you're going to have to work on swinging from low to high. If its the later than you're going to have to work on contact point and possibly aiming higher over the net and getting more penetration instead of brushing too much.

I tend ot hit it more flat into the net. I started in the era when most teaching was about hitting it flat, but in trying to hit more topspin, I do sometimes loop into the net as well. Thanks for the suggestions.

Supernatural_Serve
05-19-2007, 07:29 AM
your racquet preparation (regardless of grip) is something to look at. You have to get below the ball and swing up and through the ball otherwise you will tend to drive the ball into the net. Also, practice hitting with higher clearance, take a little off your swing and conciously clear the net with nice consistent deep balls with or without spin. This is a preparation/swing path issue more than a grip issue.

Forehand Forever
05-19-2007, 07:43 AM
I have an Eastern grip also. Most of my forehands don't have like Nadal topspin or anything but they have some topspin. I just practiced that a lot and now I have a more topspin forehand than I used to have.