PDA

View Full Version : Hitting Long

justinnum1
05-18-2007, 07:13 PM
Lately when i have been playing i have been hitting some forehands that are missiles and go high and long. At first i did not know what to make of it but i think i stand to tall and dont bend to hit them, thus hitting the ball to low in my swing zone and pulling it up. Does this make sense?

zapvor
05-18-2007, 07:18 PM
uh....i think usually the reason is not enough topsin. so put more topsin on the ball and it will dip down into the court. the ball may do like a high loop and looks likes its going to go out, but trust the physics and it will come back down.

Brian_C
05-18-2007, 07:51 PM
yea just add more topspin it may seem at first that it will just go out but with enough topspin the ball will return.
try this video it might help
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GxYqIyyeW4&mode=related&search=

Duzza
05-19-2007, 02:14 AM
Lately when i have been playing i have been hitting some forehands that are missiles and go high and long. At first i did not know what to make of it but i think i stand to tall and dont bend to hit them, thus hitting the ball to low in my swing zone and pulling it up. Does this make sense?

This comes directly from my coach : "A lot of players hit the ball inches above the net cord, then when they aren't hitting the ball deep enough they try to hit it harder on the same trajectory. What you should be doing is using the height over the net as a depth gauge." If that helps in anyway.

In your case, you're hitting it high and long. Try 2 things, first hit it a little lower over the net, and use more topspin!

theRadical
05-19-2007, 06:43 PM
more topspin is good, but make sure ur not leanig back when you hit. Step into the ball to keep it down. I used to have that problem.

Brian_C
05-19-2007, 06:46 PM
yea also how is your positioning are you stepping to the side or are you try to hit the ball with a square stance?

SFtennisGG
05-19-2007, 10:37 PM
maybe you'll find this link useful:

http://tennis.about.com/od/forehandbackhand/a/forehandrepair.htm