PDA

View Full Version : beep, beep.... playing roadrunners

patrick922
05-18-2007, 08:30 PM
so what is the toughest thing about playing people that are fast?

i played a usta match tonight and i played a guy who was an absolute roadrunner. he chased everything down and made me play extra balls. even though i won i was frustrated and he made me work hard on every point.

bobo4eva
05-18-2007, 09:08 PM
i hate it that balls that would be winners on some people, they seem to get

mucat
05-18-2007, 09:33 PM
Don't use dynamite, iron anvil, rockets, traps those sort of things, they never work.

Teh_pwnerer
05-18-2007, 10:37 PM
lol @mutcat's comment well i guess speed is the key of tennis so if someone is fast i gues that moving him from side to side will leave an open space to hit a winner, im not sure how to play them though

[K]aotic
05-18-2007, 10:52 PM
exploit is his stamina, or just play till he makes an error... don't let him use his sspeed.

Teh_pwnerer
05-19-2007, 12:58 AM
dropshot here lob there wide angle really spinny fh i dont know if someone is fast hes got a lot of advantage

patrick922
05-19-2007, 06:14 AM
dropshot here lob there wide angle really spinny fh i dont know if someone is fast hes got a lot of advantage

i actually used the drop shot to good effect.... the was one of the plays that were of success.

Supernatural_Serve
05-19-2007, 06:25 AM
You can minimize his speed as a weapon by controlling the center of the court more, by wrong footing him and hitting behind him, taking the ball earlier stealing time, and employing tactics to end points faster such as hitting more approach shots/playing net points more than you might otherwise.

Foot speed is such a huge advantage, its not easy to cope with but at least you can do some things to neutralize his weapon by not letting him use it against you so much.

Also, speedy players often encourage you to try riskier shots, closer to the sidelines, etc. and they are counting on your errors, and they tend to get to them anyway, so use caution.

Bodacious DVT
05-19-2007, 06:37 AM
one of my friends is the fastest tennis player i know. he can reach EVERYTHING!

so how do you beat them?

roadrunners love running for the ball. they can get to anything and usually have enough stamina to do this for quite a while. but what happens when you start hitting to them? instead of running to the ball, they must now run away from it. try throwing in some deep, loopy balls towards them and see what happens. dont let them run and you take away their fun.

smoothtennis
05-19-2007, 08:34 AM
Yes, hit behind him a lot, and also, hit right to him. These speedsters love to run to balls. They don't like running away from balls to get into postion nearly as much, and it takes away the temptation to overhit into the open court.

The fastest guy I ever played, was so fast I was in awe at first. However, I noticed, hitting behind him on the run worked so well because it used his speed against him. I beat the dude...but really, he beat himself running so fast!

So just hit that first shot to a corner, then step in and hit right behind him, usually to the same spot. But then also, hit to the open court too, let him know you are 'trying' to keep him moving, just don't actually try to hit the open court winner. Then the body shot or behind shot will set up the error.

zapvor
05-19-2007, 06:55 PM
lol....i thought you needed tips with a video game or something. i say just hit winners. or increase power. just because he is fast and can get to every ball doesnt mean he knows what to do with it. at least thats my experience. i sometimes can get to every ball but the spin,pace, etc mess me up big time.

[K]aotic
05-19-2007, 07:12 PM
u hit it right to him... i told u don't let him use his speed.