PDA

View Full Version : when you take a shot, are your feet suppose to be steady on the ground or in motion??

Euphoria.Soul
05-18-2007, 10:09 PM
I don't really understand the proper footwork yet. Personally, I think I lose some control when I hit a shot while moving my feet but I see a lot of pros hit shots while running etc....

What is the proper footwork???

SFtennisGG
05-18-2007, 10:28 PM
Ideally and generally, you want your feet planted, although both your feet would be slightly twisting as you go from backswing to the follow through. Of course when you are on the run your feet will not be planted. And of course as you mentioned, most of us have better control when our feet are planted creating a more stable platform for our upper body. You cant compare yourself to a pro's swing. They have exceptional hand-eye coordination in addition to a finely tuned swing that has been practiced irrespective (relatively) to feet positioning. Proper footwork is more than having a stable platform for your swing. It includes moving towards the ball, setting up for the shot, and the shot itself.

Bagumbawalla
05-19-2007, 07:13 PM
SFtennisGG,

Well said.

B

fuzz nation
05-20-2007, 07:25 AM
Yep. Lots of benefits to having your feet on the ground for your shots, including being more able to keep your head still so you can see the ball better.

When golfers rotate through a stroke, the heel of their back foot usually comes off the ground as their weight transfers forward and I think this is a good progression for a tennis stroke, too. A longer, more developed tennis stroke will actually make you want to swing your back foot around and replant it out to your side, but that's after you hit the ball. Since your legs and core drive that rotation, they need to be in contact with the court so they can do their work (sorry for mastering the obvious).

The pros can use an explosive upward drive on big shots and their momentum makes that jump happen, but for mere mortals like us, that much of a drive would probably throw a lot of control/consistency right out the window. Looks good on TV, though!

Mountain Ghost
05-20-2007, 09:32 AM
Every shot in tennis should be practiced and perfected on the ground. If your level of play (and that of your competition) rises to extreme heights, so at times may your feet . . . but even then your grounded technique should remain pretty much the same.

MG