PDA

View Full Version : How to serve without jumping?

Golden Retriever
05-19-2007, 01:05 PM
I am in my late 30s now and my left foot hurts when I serve. I think my left foot is getting injured from all the jumping and landing from serving. To prevent further injuries I am trying to serve without jumping. I am not trying to serve any aces but I still want to keep things interesting for my opponent. Is there any way to serve without jumping but still retain maybe 70% of the spin and pace? Help pls.

ceejay
05-19-2007, 01:09 PM
Serve using 70% effort?

Why do you think your foot is only getting injured from serving? Surely other things in a match, such as running and quick direction changes put more stress on your feet?

Dave M
05-19-2007, 01:19 PM
Have you checked your trainers? Have your feet been properly measured or have some insole moulded to your feet?? Most people don't wear tennis shoes that actually fit or are the right shoe for the way they play walk run etc.Should be a good first point to check.
If you don't jump be sure not to put too much pressure on your shoulder whilst serving.

Ripper
05-19-2007, 05:10 PM
There are guys a lot older than you who jump without your problems. Find the source of the problem.

Robbnc
05-19-2007, 05:29 PM
I'll be 52 in a few weeks. I seen a lot fellows fall by the wayside over
a few nagging injuries. Don't let yourself become one of them.
One day your changing your strokes to avoid pain and before you know
it you're only playing doubles.

Do whatever it takes to get the foot better. Get some orthotics, tape it,
massage it, take something for inflamation, ice it. And go get it x rayed
or MRIed to make sure nothing is broken or torn.

But believe me, you're way too young to give in to Any kind of injury.

Robb

SFtennisGG
05-19-2007, 05:36 PM
To jump or not was extensively discussed here awhile back. I believe the general consensus at the end was that it wasnt necessary to achieve pace and spin. Racquet head speed is of course the key here. Isolate the upper body and use good shoulder rotation along with the proper wrist snap.

The Gorilla
05-19-2007, 05:50 PM
you could try landing on your right foot like boris becker.

zapvor
05-19-2007, 07:37 PM
yea...i would definitely check out the rpoblem and try to remedy it. you dont want it to get worse and adjust your tennis game to your injury! having said that, people learn how to serve without jumping first, so just go back to that.

goober
05-19-2007, 08:11 PM
One day your changing your strokes to avoid pain and before you know
it you're only playing doubles.

Robb

For some reason I found this line funny :D

to the OP I would definitely get your foot checked out. Make sure you don't have a stress fracture or something else. There are tons of players older than you that play more than you and don't have the same problem.

mucat
05-19-2007, 10:09 PM
I am in my late 30s now and my left foot hurts when I serve. I think my left foot is getting injured from all the jumping and landing from serving. To prevent further injuries I am trying to serve without jumping. I am not trying to serve any aces but I still want to keep things interesting for my opponent. Is there any way to serve without jumping but still retain maybe 70% of the spin and pace? Help pls.

Golden Retriever, what kind or brand of tennis shoes are you wearing? Do you use orthotics?

FYI, having both feet on the ground will lose much less than 30% of spin and pace.

dave333
05-20-2007, 07:15 AM
If you're serving very relaxed, it should feel almost effortless.

xshilinx
05-20-2007, 07:26 AM
Moya's serve is pertty neat. =D

ps60
05-20-2007, 10:21 AM
i used to serve well and very accurate without any knee bend, any jumping upwards. Now i do all but serves are all over the place, and 2nd serve is a soft pillow.

One reason Serve would hurt the knees (esp the left one) is the knee bend, not the landing. The left knee is way out front of your shoe, (or toes) and most of us should know that is NO GOOD for the knees. One way to avoid that is to have a wider stance before the knee bend or just skip it.

Golden Retriever
05-21-2007, 09:40 AM
Golden Retriever, what kind or brand of tennis shoes are you wearing? Do you use orthotics?

FYI, having both feet on the ground will lose much less than 30% of spin and pace.

Reebox or whatever happens to be on sale. I wear two socks to get more support.

Golden Retriever
05-21-2007, 10:16 AM
Moya's serve is pertty neat. =D

Moya doesn't jump when he serves?

skiracer55
05-21-2007, 10:34 AM
...just kidding! Lots of good info in these posts about getting to the source of your foot problem. I don't mess around with tennis shoes. I'm not a shill for Adidas, it's just that after a bunch of experimentation with different manufacturers, what works for me is the Adidas A3 Prevail. So I pay whatever freight I have to to keep two pairs in rotation. Tennis shoes are cheap; foot surgery is not.

As far as your technique on your serve...give us a video, and we can give you more concrete suggestions. I'm definitely using a lot more knee bend and leg/torso drive on my serve than I used to, but I like to think I'm doing it the right way, because the last three coaches I've had wouldn't let me do it any other way. Result: I definitely get air on my serve, but I also get more speed, spin, direction, etc., and I don't have any foot problems, at the age of 59...

Fred132
05-21-2007, 09:31 PM
A friend of mine had a lot of problems with his left foot and ankle. He attributed it to the cumulative effect of hours of serve practice where his left foot absorbed almost all the impact of both jumping and landing.

Get a pro to watch you serve, or videotape yourself and watch your technique for clues. Maybe more of a platform stance would help.

Geezer Guy
05-22-2007, 06:13 AM
First of all, I don't think just jumping/landing should be all that stressful on your foot. I'd suspect it's all the running, sudden starts and stops, changing directions, etc. Compare how many serves you hit in a game, to how much running you do in a game. You might just hit one or two serves in a single point, but you may hit 5 or 6 balls during that same point. And, think of all the games you receive.

Anyway, enough of that. The easiest way to avoid jumping when you serve is to eliminate or cut back on your knee bend. With no knee bend, you're not going to jump. They say a good deep knee bend add's less than 10% to the power of your serve, so you can still serve at 90%.

And the 2 socks thing? (I assume you mean 2 per foot.) I've heard that actually promotes more sliding around inside your shoe, so that may lead to problems as well. Go with one sock per foot and tie your shoes nice and tight.

Geezer Guy
05-22-2007, 06:16 AM
Reebox or whatever happens to be on sale.

FWIW - A lot of the stuff I buy is whatever's on sale, but my racquet and my shoes I really try to get the best (for me) I can afford.

spot
05-22-2007, 06:22 AM
I had a foot problem when I played Lacrosse and I picked up a trick to keep my foot from sliding forward in my shoe. The problem is that people think that they have to lace up their shoes so tightly to keep their foot from moving- but what you really want is the top of the shoe to be laced tighter than the bottom of the shoe. So here is a link on how to lace your shoes in a "lock" at the top of your shoe which really helped out my feet a great deal.

http://www.fieggen.com/shoelace/locklacing.htm

I only learned the "high lace lock" and the rest of them I just found when I was trying to find a picture for you.

mucat
05-22-2007, 10:18 PM
Reebox or whatever happens to be on sale. I wear two socks to get more support.

Like Geezer Guy said, two pair of socks are bad, maybe try wearing thicker socks to play instead.

What model of reebok are you currently wearing now?

Like Geezer Guy said (again), I wouldn't cheap out on shoes, I only wear top-of-the-line, I might buy them on sale, but always top end model.

BkK_b0y14
05-22-2007, 11:29 PM
carlos moya doesn't jump. there are some vids of him on youtube so maybe watch some of those.

Golden Retriever
05-23-2007, 11:12 AM
I went on youtube, watched some old Moya's footages and he jumped for his serve!! Maybe he doesn't jump now.

I think Paradorn is the one who doesn't jump for his serve.

FiveO
05-23-2007, 11:24 AM
I went on youtube, watched some old Moya's footages and he jumped for his serve!! Maybe he doesn't jump now.

I think Paradorn is the one who doesn't jump for his serve.

You can go further back than that to find some pretty good serves using the old "step through" technique, i.e. Pancho Gonzalez served huge with that motion as well as others of that vintage and earlier. You're likely not to lose much employing it.

But, like others suggested I would address the problem from a medical point of view first. It could be as simple as orthotics, PT or some exercises you can do at home....or not, unfortunately.

"Are you injured or are you just hurting?" Either way especially with the feet, ankle and lower leg workarounds are far more likely to manifest themselves in pain or injury to the joints up the chain, i.e. knees, hips, lower back.

Which ever way you choose to address it, I hope it works out for you.

Good luck,

Geezer Guy
05-23-2007, 12:10 PM
I think, back in the day, you were required to keep at least one foot on the ground when serving.

mucat
05-23-2007, 01:08 PM
Geezer Guy, don't worry about the jumping, like FiveO said, you can "step through" the serve. Or look at baseball pitchers, they don't need to jump to throw any type of pitch. IMO, jumping is not a good term, volley players do jump serve, tennis players don't.

Geezer Guy
05-23-2007, 01:59 PM
Geezer Guy, don't worry about the jumping, like FiveO said, you can "step through" the serve. Or look at baseball pitchers, they don't need to jump to throw any type of pitch. IMO, jumping is not a good term, volley players do jump serve, tennis players don't.

I'm not worried about jumping - I was just addressing the original post:

mucat
05-23-2007, 02:08 PM
I'm not worried about jumping - I was just addressing the original post:

Then don't jump.

Geezer Guy
05-24-2007, 12:56 PM
You're yanking my chain - right?

mucat
05-24-2007, 04:47 PM
You're yanking my chain - right?

Ha, for some reason, you and Golden Retriever look incredibly alike on the web...

Geezer Guy
05-25-2007, 09:08 AM
ok - thanks for the compliment.

Jyles
05-25-2007, 12:07 PM
you dont really have to jump for serves do ya x_X.. i find it more difficult for me to serve when jumping, more responsive serving standing.

Golden Retriever
05-25-2007, 12:17 PM
Tried the "step through" serve, felt too unstable, just didn't work for me.
Also tried Paradorn's "tiptoed" serve and liked it a lot. I did lose some power but it was worth it. No more pain in the left foot from serving. I think I can still serve with like 80% power without jump so I really can't complain.
BTW, I have to thank Geezer Guy for the no-knee-bend advice, it really worked for me.