PDA

View Full Version : pros and customizing rackets

MonkeyMan123
05-19-2007, 02:31 PM
All the pros customize their rackets. Lots of times I have read they raise their rackets swingweight a lot by adding lead tape. I have also read Nadal has a maximum spin setup on his racket ( with 15 g at 12 o clock at 5g in the handle). Why do so many pros customize their rackets and a lot of us dont? Could 5.5+ players that don't customize their racket be hurting their potential to become a pro by not customizing their racket? Does customizing a racket really help that much, i mean, if nearly ALL the pros do it, it must help , right? Are there any pros that dont customize their racket? Could one make it into the top pros today with a uncustomized racket?

jura
05-20-2007, 09:09 AM
You can say most ro's follow Jack Kramer: "Use the heaviest racket yu are able to handle!" And most recreational players cant handle that heavy rackets because they practice maybe two times a week and not two times a day.

fgs
05-20-2007, 09:17 AM
monkeyman123,
even if you customized your racquet, you wouldn't be playing much better and become a pro. the perfect racquet set-up gives you at the very best another 3% to build upon your strokes. nobody stops you from customizing your racquet or have it customized by some knowledgeable racquet technician, but don't expect any wonders!

thefan
05-20-2007, 08:45 PM
Nadal has a maximum spin setup on his racket ( with 15 g at 12 o clock at 5g in the handle).

Wouldnt this make his APD severely headheavy? Also, im interested in knowing how this setup provide more spin.
Thanks

ShcMad
05-20-2007, 08:56 PM
Wouldnt this make his APD severely headheavy? Also, im interested in knowing how this setup provide more spin.
Thanks

I believe Nadal's racquet is about 3-3.5 points head light strung.

magnuswallen
05-22-2007, 07:56 AM
I believe Nadal's racquet is about 3-3.5 points head light strung.

Can you please explain "3-3.5 points head light". That means?
I Have never understood what the term says...

Rabbit
05-22-2007, 08:16 AM
Each point is 1/8 inch. You have to find the midpoint of a frame. For a 27" frame, that's 13.5 inches up from either the head or butt. Once you're there, you move the frame in either direction until it balances. The distance is moves is the measure of how headlight or headheavy it is.