PDA

View Full Version : Aaargh! Am I the only one?!...

D-man
05-19-2007, 02:49 PM
... that finds this sport very difficult to learn!? It seems the harder I try the less I learn :mad:.

So does anyone relate to so much frustration at trying to get better?

Brian_C
05-19-2007, 03:10 PM
not really it just that you gotta remember 1 thing it takes around 7 to 10 years to get pretty darn good... so if your just learning dont expect to be a pro any time soon it takes time and practice

D-man
05-19-2007, 03:23 PM
yeah, maybe expecting too much. Maybe some breakthrough will come & something will click!!

Bagumbawalla
05-19-2007, 04:10 PM
Obviously, it is a difficult, complex, athletic sport.

In most sports, not even as difficult as tennis, people take lessons, have instructors and coaches and practice for hours a day.

Yes, tennis is as difficult as golf, wrestling, soccer, and all those other sports that most ordinary people just watch on TV, because they are too hard and take too much work to play correctly.

Mark Vessels
05-19-2007, 04:53 PM
the key is persistency, fed didnt get good overnight just keep playing and gain hand-eye coordination after that it's a piece of cake or play racquetball:p

Yes!!!

My 100th post!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!100!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!

zapvor
05-19-2007, 06:36 PM
lol.....yea tennis is the hardest sport to play i think. the better you get at it,the more you realize how much more you can do. the possibilities are endless.

[K]aotic
05-19-2007, 07:49 PM
i find team sports with hardest to play... a lot of times my team can't keep up with me, or i can't keep up with my team... rarely do i have a good team in team sports

Teh_pwnerer
05-19-2007, 10:20 PM
i know i love tennis because its only 1 person, and yeah theres waaaaay more technique in tennis than any other sport.

OP
keep practicing and never give up

Duzza
05-20-2007, 03:50 AM
I picked A, but I know that it's truly B. :D. Tennis takes years and years, but remember at the lower levels, consistency wins all.

Lambsscroll
05-20-2007, 04:22 AM
I always believed in conforming the racket to your strokes. My game dramatically improved once I found a racket that was doing things to the ball as I wanted. Keep in mind I'm very athletic which is why I focused so much on equipment. If your athletic I suggest experimenting with your equipment.

ps60
05-20-2007, 09:32 AM
when i first got my woodie, it's hard to play against the wall for more than 3 bounces. and it took yrs to get better, but that 's woodie.

With today's racket, one should be able to get starting with 20 hrs with a pro, or a good friend feeding you balls to practise.

My nephew could hit cleanly at the balls, after about 15 missed attempts, the first time i gave him a racket (21") when he's at 4.

remember to focus in your feet. not your hand, not the swing, not the form. Once your feet are willing to move, it becomes easy. Even at higher level.

skiracer55
05-21-2007, 09:49 AM
...and yes, it's a really difficult sport, which IMHO, is what makes it worthwhile. If I wanted easy, I'd take up shuffleboard. Try to enjoy the journey. Playing tennis itself, is, or should be, a blast. Don't work at the game, play it. Otherwise..well, there's always shuffleboard...

smoothtennis
05-21-2007, 11:05 AM
Tennis is a funny sport. It is very technical, very athletic, and very mental. What is funny, sort of like golf, is that it should be fun, usually is, but as we start working on the technical aspects, it can be frustrating---yes.

We have to find a way to keep the FUN in there, or it becomes a problem.

With tennis- I have found throughout learning and playing the game over the years, I have had the most fun when playing people at higher skill levels because I play the game without trying to force technique to make things happen, but wind up reacting to better technique with what I have that is working.

When I play someone with lower skill levels, there have been moments where I have to rely on technique to try to outplay them, which exposes what you can't do pretty clearly.

In any case---find a way to keep it FUN! :-D

JavierLW
05-21-2007, 12:13 PM
... that finds this sport very difficult to learn!? It seems the harder I try the less I learn :mad:.

You should read the book "The Inner Game of Tennis". It's not really your typical instruction manual, it's more about how to manage the game mentally and offers insight on how to view the game which helps you get better at learning it.

Voltron
05-21-2007, 12:15 PM
the key is persistency, fed didnt get good overnight just keep playing and gain hand-eye coordination after that it's a piece of cake or play racquetball:p

Yes!!!

My 100th post
It does take persistence, but it's not really THAT bad. Ashton, you don't need to brag about crap like 100 post. That would be like me saying, woohoo, my 2758th post with a billion !s

Taxvictim
05-21-2007, 12:40 PM

I'm really curious: where are you now, and what are you finding so hard to get?

Are you a 3.0 frustrated after years of play that you're not a 4.5? Or are you a 5.0 frustrated that you can't get on the ATP Tour? Are you a beginner that can't play a game without two double faults?

drakulie
05-21-2007, 12:45 PM

If this great sport was easy, everyone would do it, and be great at it. It's not easy. Even the pros are constantly trying to find ways to improve.

Good luck, and keep at it. !

kevhen
05-21-2007, 12:48 PM
Slow and steady wins the race. It takes time to gain experience and to improve consistency, placement, etc. It's a tough sport to learn but if it came easy, you would find the sport boring.

JRstriker12
05-21-2007, 12:49 PM
Tennis is like that old board game Othello - A minute to learn, a lifetime to master.

Tennis isn't too hard to learn, its mastering all it's elements and improving that are so dang hard.

[K]aotic
05-21-2007, 04:16 PM
i find that one hand topspin backhand one of the HARDEST hits to learn... i still mess up on it even after i've been practicing it for 8 months now.

Kaptain Karl
05-21-2007, 04:30 PM
Hey, D-man:

What particular things are you struggling with? Yes, it's a difficult game, but those days when everything "clicks" are ... glorious! (I need another one of those really soon; it's been three weeks already...!)

- KK

andymac1
05-21-2007, 06:28 PM
With me, things just start clicking. Just playing in tournaments help me see, "Wow... if I just do blank* it's so much easier to put topspin on the ball"

D-man
05-21-2007, 06:34 PM
Hey, D-man:

What particular things are you struggling with? Yes, it's a difficult game, but those days when everything "clicks" are ... glorious! (I need another one of those really soon; it's been three weeks already...!)

- KK

I learned the game wrongly, without any coaching, and I've had to undo the ingrained pattern of "arming" the ball, pretty much. I'm making progress with adding more body into the shot.

I'm really curious: where are you now, and what are you finding so hard to get?

Are you a 3.0 frustrated after years of play that you're not a 4.5? Or are you a 5.0 frustrated that you can't get on the ATP Tour? Are you a beginner that can't play a game without two double faults?

No idea, but I'd guess very strong 3.0. I play my bro' once or twice a week, is all, but we've been playing for, oh, I don't know, over 10 years off and on, not consistently and not very competitively.

btw, glad to know I'm not alone guyz.. :)

shindemac
05-21-2007, 11:43 PM
8 months is not a long time. I've changed all my strokes last year so I'm back to a beginner again. But in a few years, I expect to have more topspin on my forehand, and a better overall bh. Hopefully, I can find more regular hitting partners rather than hitting once a month.

smoothtennis
05-22-2007, 01:08 PM
8 months is not a long time. I've changed all my strokes last year so I'm back to a beginner again. But in a few years, I expect to have more topspin on my forehand, and a better overall bh. Hopefully, I can find more regular hitting partners rather than hitting once a month.

A backboard is a great partner to groove your strokes with. They always show up, always feed the ball back---everytime.

Baghdatis72
05-22-2007, 01:16 PM
Tennis came somehow natural to me from the first time I held a racket so it was always fun for me to learn and play tennis. The greatest problem I have now is staying fit :(

bluegrasser
05-22-2007, 01:23 PM
That's what keeps you coming back, you really never master it, golf is the same way. Just enjoy the ride and enjoy each little improvement.

monkeyisland90
05-22-2007, 01:31 PM
You think this is frustrating? try practicing 4-5 times a week for two years and still not able to have a win or play up to par... i had times i wanted to quit but i always get drawn to this sport because it offers much more then win or lose... it makes me pretty humble as i'm a very prideful person so it's a good thing.. but yeah back to frustration, just keep at it as it will be better to keep going and have lot of hurdles but better then quitting only to find out you missed out on having fun and learning and getting better