PDA

View Full Version : Im Torn In Bettwen the Two!

Big Fed
05-19-2007, 04:43 PM
1 handed or 2handed backhand. My 1hander is amazing when im in perfect position and so is the ball. But if its not perfect positioning then its kinda crappy. My 2hander is pretty consistant even of high balls. but i cant hit it with as much power or spin as da 1hander. What should i do? Which should i develoup? :confused:

The Gorilla
05-19-2007, 06:00 PM
go with the one hander, if it has more potential offensively, a one hander also has more potential defensively because o the added reach.

Noir
05-19-2007, 06:25 PM
Both. Doesn't a wider assortment of potential shots improve your game? At the very least it'll build confidence in attacking the ball.

jasoncho92
05-19-2007, 06:47 PM
Both isnt a good idea because it would take a long time to know which shots to use one handed or two handed. And if you take time to think about that kind of stuff youll most likely mess up

Big Fed
05-19-2007, 06:53 PM
Ima baseliner and i like to step in inside the basline a little and finish points. I think i prolly gonna take the 2hander cause its more stable on the rise and i dont have to be in perfect position to hit it hard. Even though though the 1hander is prettier than jessica alba.

[K]aotic
05-19-2007, 07:41 PM
u should go to a one hander... it may be hard, but if u can master it, it is rewarding.

fuzz nation
05-19-2007, 07:46 PM
I'd prioritize what you need to have for your shot selection. I took up a 2hbh last summer so I could hit a dependable topspin stroke off that side and especially hit an offensive backhand return. I use the same rh grip for the slice or topspin stroke (bonus), but I'm noodling with the 1hbh in my spare time. The one-hander is potentially nasty, but it takes me more time to really set it up, too. No shame either way, just figure out what's practical.

[K]aotic
05-19-2007, 07:52 PM
1 handers are also more aesthetically pleasing 8-)

soyizgood
05-19-2007, 08:09 PM
It seems like you are in love with the 1HBH. Just realize both shots have their pros and cons. I play with a 2HBH and I accept its strengths and weaknesses.

A weak backhand is just blood for the opponent to sniff out. You don't need to blast the ball with the backhand. You need to hit the ball at your optimal distance with good technique and timing. 2HBH allows you to hit balls closer to you. 1HBH requires you to hit at least 2 feet in front of you.

It takes less time to get acquainted with 2HBH and produce hard-hit flat and great top-spin strokes. But if you keep on working on the 1HBH, it can be a gem. Good luck with your decision.

mucat
05-19-2007, 09:15 PM
1 handed or 2handed backhand. My 1hander is amazing when im in perfect position and so is the ball. But if its not perfect positioning then its kinda crappy. My 2hander is pretty consistant even of high balls. but i cant hit it with as much power or spin as da 1hander. What should i do? Which should i develoup? :confused:

Since you are more consistent with your 2H'er, I say go with the 2H'er. It looks like you are more natural hitting on the move with the 2H'er. Power you can add later as you improve.

I was the opposite before. I can hit tons of pace and spin with my 2H'er (from sort of a hockey slapshot motion) if I have time to setup. But I can't hit welll on the move with it. Now, I hit with 1HBH only, because it is a lot more consistent for me.

In tennis, consistency before power.

lecter255
05-19-2007, 10:10 PM
Since you are more consistent with your 2H'er, I say go with the 2H'er. It looks like you are more natural hitting on the move with the 2H'er. Power you can add later as you improve.

I was the opposite before. I can hit tons of pace and spin with my 2H'er (from sort of a hockey slapshot motion) if I have time to setup. But I can't hit welll on the move with it. Now, I hit with 1HBH only, because it is a lot more consistent for me.

In tennis, consistency before power.

Consistency before power is very very true. I think choosing which one depend on how much you are gonna work on it. 1hander takes a long long time to stop being a liability, a weak wing that opponents pick on, and even longer to be a weapon, but it's ultimately better than a 2hander b/c you can reach further, naturally go up and volley, and among other things.

consistency for ur 1hander can be gained from a lot of practice, so don't worry about it too much, and it forces you to have good footwork and setup and everything. i recommend the 1hander =D i am a 1hander also, maybe that's y ;)

Off The Wall
06-27-2007, 10:22 PM
I'd go with the "amazing" shot.

tennis_hand
06-27-2007, 11:14 PM
go with what you enjoy most. since u are a Fed fan, you should use the 1 hander. Imitating your idol helps games.

stevekim8
06-29-2007, 04:45 AM
1hbh looks more awesome than 2hbh, and if you are in love with 1hbh, you can always improve it, so you should go with it

lilxjohnyy
06-29-2007, 04:50 AM
1 hander looks more beautiful than 2 handers

Voltron
06-29-2007, 05:03 AM
I just recently had this problem, but I had to go back to the 2HBH, why? My arm didn't appreciate the 1HBH.....

StealthGnome
06-29-2007, 08:02 AM
2H w/ 1H slice/Volley.
Get a taste of both.

racquet_jedi
07-12-2007, 06:20 AM
Um, use the 2H for rallies and use the 1H as a weapon?

RoddickAce
07-12-2007, 10:29 AM
Use ur 2hbh for now, and build up ur consistency on ur 1 hander, then use the 1hbh as ur main rally stroke and weapon.

BravoRed691
07-13-2007, 02:07 AM
2H w/ 1H slice/Volley.
Get a taste of both.

Yea..what he said...

BR

Ross K
07-13-2007, 04:53 AM
If you're still relatively young (say under early 20's) and are prepared to put in an incredible amount of work, go for the other bh. However, my experience and what I've learnt about others is, it's really very hard indeed for most people to successfully adopt to a new bh when they're older (I went from 1h to 2h, and a year down the line, I'm still finding the switch very difficult. Basically, I suspect my earlier 1h experience is too ingrained. An example of which being, to this day, I think the bh shot (1h or 2h) I'm most proficient at is still a 1h topspin cross-court.) Anyway, bearing that in mind, I'd go for what attracts you (for me it's the 2her, no question... it's just a pity I seem to be better with the 1her?)

Good luck!

Big Fed
07-13-2007, 05:54 PM
Yea im only 15 and ive been using 1 hand fer like a year. Ive been a two hander since i was like 4.