PDA

View Full Version : How come I don't slide anymore?

Serve 'em hard
05-19-2007, 07:03 PM
I came back to tennis almost two years ago. I'm about a 3.5, and play mostly on har-tru. I seem to remember sliding a couple of times and hitting some nice shots in some of my earliest outings upon my return to the game without even thinking about it, but now for whatever reason I never seem to slide anymore, or feel the need to. Am I doing something wrong? I love the surface and feel very comfortable moving around on it, and I love the idea of sliding 'cause it looks cool and all, but I tend to just go with the flow when I'm playing and do what feels natural, and I find that I never slide or even think about my footing much in any way when I'm out there, and everything is feeling fine.

So why don't I slide anymore? Does it matter? Should I consciously try to?

LarougeNY
05-19-2007, 07:16 PM
Well it is MUCH easier to slide on red clay, there's only one place around me that has red clay and I absolutely HATE it b/c I alway lose because I slide way too much into my shots.

Otherwise, maybe you aren't being pushed enough, maybe you don't need to run around a lot to get to the balls.

Serve 'em hard
05-19-2007, 10:24 PM
Well it is MUCH easier to slide on red clay, there's only one place around me that has red clay and I absolutely HATE it b/c I alway lose because I slide way too much into my shots.

Otherwise, maybe you aren't being pushed enough, maybe you don't need to run around a lot to get to the balls.

I played on red clay last week for the first time in a while, and didn't slide on that either. (nor did my opponent, who's a 4.5.) I think the clay was a bit damp that day though.

patrick922
05-20-2007, 09:41 PM
green clay is very, very slippery when it is really dry. it is like playing on sand sprinkled on the sidewalk and sometimes the slides are so long. and changing directions ha... forget it... you'll end up on the ground anyways.

never played on red clay so i cant compare the two.

Serve 'em hard
05-20-2007, 11:36 PM
green clay is very, very slippery when it is really dry. it is like playing on sand sprinkled on the sidewalk and sometimes the slides are so long. and changing directions ha... forget it... you'll end up on the ground anyways.

So why am I not sliding on it? (Though the courts I play on most are watered regularly. But still...)

Serve 'em hard
05-26-2007, 11:25 PM
Played today. I didn't slide. My opponent did. Theories?

[K]aotic
05-26-2007, 11:49 PM
ur shoes are better..

knasty131
05-26-2007, 11:50 PM
either your shoes are better...you have better preparation, preventing HAVING to slide...or you are just slower and you dont have enough momentum to slide

Serve 'em hard
05-27-2007, 11:14 AM
My shoes are definitely better, since they are new and his were very old and worn, and I am slower too. My preparation MAY have been better, but I wouldn't be sure that is a factor here.

Any other theories?

Also, I'm still trying to get confirmation of a rumor I heard on this very website, that Agassi didn't really slide on clay. Anyone?