PDA

View Full Version : Who remembers Richard Fromberg?

Duzza
05-20-2007, 05:00 AM
I was watching him play State Grade today at my club. He killed our no.1, so he's obviously still got it. He was using a Tecnifibre, not the new ones, PJ like the TF325 or 315.

jaap deboeck
05-21-2007, 08:36 AM
If I recall correctly he is the 6'7" Aussie tower. A major talent in his day. He had a better overall game than Karlovic, the Croatian tower! For whatever reason related to movement, the really talll guys cannot reach the elite level with all those smaller speed merchants around.

Duzza
05-22-2007, 12:58 AM
Well I think 2mil Prizemoney, highest ranking of 24 and a win over Sampras on grass is pretty elite?

uk_skippy
05-22-2007, 01:18 AM
Yeah, I remember him. Use to use a Rossignol F295 at one point. Quite a solid player

VikingSamurai
05-22-2007, 01:38 AM
Matt King the winger for the Melbourne storm is his younger twin brother with the afro.. Although I think Matt has shaved his head now.. But with the fro, they both look very much alike.. Great player on his day.. Played Davis Cup if I am not wrong, and he did use a Rossignol.. How old would he be now?. Great to see he is still fighting out..

TheNatural
05-22-2007, 01:43 AM
I remember him well. he was a grinder and his favourite surface was clay, which was a bit odd for someone his height. But mabe his spinny shots suited clay. He could serve pretty well at times. His shots were nothing spectacular, he liked to rally and had a wristy, spinny western grip forehand which ussually fell short but he could create soem good angles off it. His forehand worked well when he got a weak replys off his serve, but during ralllys it wasnt too forceful. His 2 handed backhand wasnt too powerful either, he rarely hit a winner off that side.

HyperHorse
05-22-2007, 02:32 AM
Yes... I remember him...
Those dismal days of Aussies gettin flogged b4 Flip, Rafter and Hewitt came alone...
Beat Sampras in 3 sets @ Queens Club back in '90, before Sampras actually knew how to play on grass.
Career cut short by shoulder injuries...
What's he doing in Melbourne? Coaching?
Did you say hello to the guy and start a conversation?

Duzza
05-22-2007, 02:34 AM
Matt King the winger for the Melbourne storm is his younger twin brother with the afro.. Although I think Matt has shaved his head now.. But with the fro, they both look very much alike.. Great player on his day.. Played Davis Cup if I am not wrong, and he did use a Rossignol.. How old would he be now?. Great to see he is still fighting out..

What? Are you joking? Matt King? What's with the surname then? He's 37, and for his big frame, yes he was quite a grinder.

Duzza
05-22-2007, 02:35 AM
Yes... I remember him...
Those dismal days of Aussies gettin flogged b4 Flip, Rafter and Hewitt came alone...
Beat Sampras in 3 sets @ Queens Club back in '90, before Sampras actually knew how to play on grass.
Career cut short by shoulder injuries...
What's he doing in Melbourne? Coaching?
Did you say hello to the guy and start a conversation?
No he was playing a pretty serious match.....He looks like a nice quiet guy though.

esm
05-22-2007, 02:57 AM
yes i remember him.
was reading an article from one of the old mags (from 10+ years ago) i had the other day. one of the most humble tennis players back in his days.

Solat
05-22-2007, 04:37 AM
What? Are you joking? Matt King? What's with the surname then? He's 37, and for his big frame, yes he was quite a grinder.

i think it was tongue in cheek Duzza

jaggy
05-22-2007, 10:17 AM
I remember him well. he was a grinder and his favourite surface was clay, which was a bit odd for someone his height. But mabe his spinny shots suited clay. He could serve pretty well at times. His shots were nothing spectacular, he liked to rally and had a wristy, spinny western grip forehand which ussually fell short but he could create soem good angles off it. His forehand worked well when he got a weak replys off his serve, but during ralllys it wasnt too forceful. His 2 handed backhand wasnt too powerful either, he rarely hit a winner off that side.

Also unusual for an Aussie to prefer clay far less one so tall.

VikingSamurai
05-22-2007, 10:26 PM
i think it was tongue in cheek Duzza

Yep.. Only Duzzy could think that I was being serious..;)

pj80
05-22-2007, 11:09 PM
wasnt he a new zealander or is that brett steven

esm
05-22-2007, 11:30 PM
Brett Stevens is a kiwi

christo
05-24-2007, 07:13 PM
I thought Fromberg was from Tasmania

VikingSamurai
05-24-2007, 09:36 PM
He sure is.....

Gaucho Behrend
04-26-2009, 10:19 AM
Fromberg is coaching at the Maccabi Tennis Club in Melbourne with John McCurdy.

The afro got him a hot woman and he never got paid for winning Bucharest.

vive le beau jeu !
04-26-2009, 11:05 AM
the guy australia was always taking out from its hat when they had to play a DC tie on clay ?...
yes i remember him ! ;)

crabgrass
04-26-2009, 11:07 AM
i hit with fromberg on a few occasions as a 13 year old, at that stage he couldnt have been any taller than 5'5 and was quite skinny....must have really got stuck into the elephant milk to grow as much as he did

Gaucho Behrend
04-27-2009, 08:48 AM
Frommy had a backhand that was for a small guy, but he had a very big growth spurt in his late teens, but never changed his backhand.

matchmaker
04-27-2009, 10:23 AM
Yeah, I remember Fromberg. A big guy with the game of a short guy. A good player without anything special.

AndrewD
04-27-2009, 02:06 PM

Are you sure you're thinking of the same guy? Richard Fromberg had a huge serve (unsurprising given his heigh) and a monsterous forehand. His backhand was solid but not in the same class as the forehand. Could volley quite well but never really ventured up to net. His shots were heavy and extremely powerful. The only limitation he had was foot speed and it stopped him from being a more successful player.

Don't know who you're describing but it sure isn't Fromberg.

Gaucho Behrend
04-27-2009, 10:32 PM
Are you sure you're thinking of the same guy? Richard Fromberg had a huge serve (unsurprising given his heigh) and a monsterous forehand. His backhand was solid but not in the same class as the forehand. Could volley quite well but never really ventured up to net. His shots were heavy and extremely powerful. The only limitation he had was foot speed and it stopped him from being a more successful player.

Don't know who you're describing but it sure isn't Fromberg.

That and he lacked the killer instinct, but he was a cool guy, heavy forehand and loved the clay. It was funny watching Frommy and Rosset playing the final of Bologna and both of these were actually playing clay tennis.

kashmonyklik
05-01-2009, 09:31 AM
Rich Fromberg was a good player. He was an all court player with no weaknesses and not many weapons. He was no pushover though. The guy had class.He was pleasing to watch. Its nice people bring players like him on to the discussion table.

Gaucho Behrend
05-04-2009, 06:21 AM
He had 2 major weaknesses, his backhand and lack of court speed.

AndrewD
05-04-2009, 09:16 AM
He had 2 major weaknesses, his backhand and lack of court speed.

The first is directly related to the second. A slow player with a two-handed backhand is always going to suffer on that side.

maxply
05-04-2009, 11:32 AM
I watched him take a beatdown from John MaCENROE in 1992 U.S. open .