PDA

View Full Version : murrays racquet specs from Sunday Times article-?

The Gorilla
05-20-2007, 08:40 AM
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/tennis/article1813656.ece

The joint is the primary shock absorber for any player, but in Murray’s case the load is accentuated. His basic racket, a Head Flexpoint Prestige, weighs a relatively standard 430 grams (15.1oz).

However, seeking to find more power, he has long modified the head of the racket with lead tape while taking weight out of the handle. Consequently it provides him with one of the heaviest swing-weights in the history of the game, in the region of 490 grams.

Pete Sampras set the trend on his path to collecting a record 14 Grand Slam titles. His opponents marvelled at the weight of shots that repeatedly went flying past them. The current generation see it as a method of heightening their velocity.''

this Can't be true can it?
Maybe that journalist got his wires crossed and it was weighted up to 15oz, but there's no way he weighted up a 15oz racquet, is there?

finky
05-20-2007, 09:14 AM
Gorilla, I am sure you're right . The British press, even the regular tennis correspondents, are hugely ignorant . Take one look at them and you will see they never hit a ball in their lives.

The Sunday Times article was written by Barry Flatman , the second worst tennis writer behind Neil Harman .

Chauvalito
05-20-2007, 10:55 AM
the weight might be exaggerated, but I am sure its not that far off. Some one on the boards has a smashed murray racket...there is lead tape under the bumper across the entire length of the cap grommets...thats a lot of weight

Chauvalito
05-20-2007, 10:56 AM
Doesnt Murray use a poly as well...?

Chauvalito
05-20-2007, 11:00 AM
isnt it great...at the bottom of the article it says this:

The British No1 uses a Head Flexpoint Prestige racket which weighs 430g. However, lead in the head of the racket increases the weight to 490g. The racket is also strung tightly, which helps Murray hit the ball with tremendous power.

You have got to be kidding me...

ShcMad
05-20-2007, 11:43 AM
Flexpoint Prestige? 15-ounce racquet? Murray strings in the higher-end of string tensions? Since when is 60lbs. in the high-end of the spectrum? Uhhh...what???? I don't even know what the writer is talking about.

Thomas Martinez repeatedly said Murray's racquet weighs around 340-350g unstrung, and that it's a couple points head light to start. Even strung, it should not be that heavy to be handled by a professional player who has had the same specs since he was a baby, and it doesn't even end up being head-heavy. But, I do hear his swingweight, along with Moya's, is one of the highest on the tour at the moment. However, I don't know how high swingweight affects the body. Besides, I hear that these days, the frame with the heaviest static weight handled by a pro is that of Gaston Gaudio's, which is around ~360grams unstrung.

I didn't know that a heavy, slightly head-light, high-swingweight racquet would be to blame for his wrist injury. If anything, I thought that a light, head-heavy hammer-style W-Line Wilson would be worse than Murray's in inducing injury. Somebody explain me how Murray's racquet played a vital role in injuring him. Murray's specs are definitely not out of this world.

Povl Carstensen
05-20-2007, 11:52 AM
The way he plays (slow swing, heavy ball) indicates a high swingweight. Maybe it should say 330 and 390 grams instead of 430 and 490.

officerdibble
05-21-2007, 01:36 AM
Gorilla, I am sure you're right . The British press, even the regular tennis correspondents, are hugely ignorant . Take one look at them and you will see they never hit a ball in their lives.

The Sunday Times article was written by Barry Flatman , the second worst tennis writer behind Neil Harman .

Talk about a sweeping generalisation! Sadly it happens to be absolutely true. I swear, any news story in any level of paper from broadsheet to local rag, that I've had direct personal knowledge of has been incorrect in some way or other.

There is an astounding laziness in British journalism, no one ever checks anything, they just print whatever they're told, or think they've been told.

pow
05-21-2007, 01:45 AM
The article says he plays a Head Prestige so I don't know how accurate we can take the rest of the specs.

finky
05-21-2007, 02:04 AM
As 'enthusiasts' the people on this board will pick up any error the journalists make , and rightly so .

The media would argue that they are trying to inform the whole public, not just 'us' , but this does not excuse the kind of drivel printed in The Sunday Times yesterday . Fact checking is a basic journalistic discipiline .

These guys have what many of us would consider to be dream jobs and they owe us the courtesy of doing proepr research.

At tournaments I often see the gin-swilling fatties sitting in their privileged seats and their next day accounts bear no relation to the match.

End of rant .