PDA

View Full Version : Question about strength of grip

Nero_S
05-20-2007, 11:11 AM
Hello all

It has been a year now since I started to play tennis. It's been a slow but constant progress and I must say that this forum has helped me a lot. Especially some posts from tricky, JCO and others (forgive me for not mentioning your names).
I have developed a good medium paced 1HB, which is now pretty much consistent, but I am constantly struggling with my forehand which is inconsistent and very often too long.
I have made some corrections to my grip going from SW to extreme SW which helped to some degree but I am still not satisfied. But today when I was practicing with my friend I've noticed that the strength of my grip on backhand side is almost twice the strong than on my forehand side. So I decided to grip more tighter on my forehands and POW - that was it. I was consitant and my shots were strong and deep.
Now, I now that grip should be pretty lose - "like holding a bird in your hand", but when I analyzed my shots I've noticed that when I am holding loosely - racket twists in my hand and also goes backward a little at the moment of impact thus causing inconsistency.
Now I am gripping pretty strong on both sides and my shots are great.

What do you experts think about this - should I pursue this approach of gripping firmer or go with the loose grip and try to hit every ball perfectly at the sweetspot. Thanks in advance

Nero

Micky
05-20-2007, 06:02 PM
Hello all

It has been a year now since I started to play tennis. It's been a slow but constant progress and I must say that this forum has helped me a lot. Especially some posts from tricky, JCO and others (forgive me for not mentioning your names).
I have developed a good medium paced 1HB, which is now pretty much consistent, but I am constantly struggling with my forehand which is inconsistent and very often too long.
I have made some corrections to my grip going from SW to extreme SW which helped to some degree but I am still not satisfied. But today when I was practicing with my friend I've noticed that the strength of my grip on backhand side is almost twice the strong than on my forehand side. So I decided to grip more tighter on my forehands and POW - that was it. I was consitant and my shots were strong and deep.
Now, I now that grip should be pretty lose - "like holding a bird in your hand", but when I analyzed my shots I've noticed that when I am holding loosely - racket twists in my hand and also goes backward a little at the moment of impact thus causing inconsistency.
Now I am gripping pretty strong on both sides and my shots are great.

What do you experts think about this - should I pursue this approach of gripping firmer or go with the loose grip and try to hit every ball perfectly at the sweetspot. Thanks in advance

Nero

Hola Nero,

I am not an expert but what I saw from the Nick Bollettieri videos is that if you can see the tip of your fingers getting white...then you are holding too strong.

zapvor
05-20-2007, 06:42 PM
i think you are supposed to have a loose grip until the last minute,where you tighten the grip at contact. i havent experimented with it yet.

Bagumbawalla
05-20-2007, 07:32 PM
Your grip SHOULD be firm.

Energy is imparted from body/arm motion to the racket head and any weak link in the process brakes down the efficiency of the process.

Hold a racket tightly (facing up) and drop a ball on it. It bounces up. Hold it loosely and do the same. The ball bloops against the strings.

However, you only need to hold it just tight enough. If you hold it too tightly, you are just wasting energy.

bobo4eva
05-20-2007, 11:05 PM
are u sure?
cause i was on ipod tennis or w/e
and they said most pros have a looser grip then club players do

fuzz nation
05-21-2007, 09:15 PM
It seems that if we gave it a serious gorilla grip, our shots would lose a lot of their flow. As powerful as it can be, the serve needs one of the loosest grips of any shot to have significant racquet speed and tension kills movement.

On a scale of one to five, I'd say three is ok, but two is probably optimum. You need a little grip pressure to guide the racquet through its arc, but the wrist needs to be supple enough to allow the frame to release through the shot.