PDA

View Full Version : Tennis for Life....

lendl lives
09-23-2004, 09:33 AM
As I find myself seriously trying to improve from a middle of the road 4.5 singles player to something more. I've turned to reading books for a better understanding of the game. I'm finding out that there is A LOT of stuff i didn't know or never even thought about; from strategy to technique. For example.....one thing I read last night is that you are supposed to use a continental girp for all volleys..and hit with an open face, using backspin...and that its more like a catch than a punch. Anyway this book is very intertaining. A guy named Burwash(?) wrote it and i've really enjoyed it so far. Another thing I like is how he talks about how tennis is a game of emergencies...and his anecdotes about poncho gonzalez and rod laver and so on..... Just thought I'd post this for those of you who aren't reading.

dozu
09-23-2004, 10:23 AM
along with the interesting stuff comes garbage. just for the example you put above:

a continental grip is too weak for forehand volleys at least. most pros switch between eastern FH and BH grips for volleys.

also, a FH volley is certainly not a punch, as in boxing. It's not a "catch" in MOST situations. I'd say if you are to hit a FH drop volley, it's similar to a catch... but for most FH volleys, it's a clap, as clapping your hands together for a volley well done.... a simple "catch" just doesn't provide the penetration needed for deep volleys.

so read on, but take the stuff with lots of salt.

predrag
09-23-2004, 10:47 AM
along with the interesting stuff comes garbage. just for the example you put above:

a continental grip is too weak for forehand volleys at least.

Certainly not true.

most pros switch between eastern FH and BH grips for volleys.

I do not agree here either. Becker is the only one who did switch between forehand and
backhand volley, and that was an exception.

Regards,
Predrag

Bungalo Bill
09-23-2004, 11:00 AM

a continental grip is too weak for forehand volleys at least. most pros switch between eastern FH and BH grips for volleys.

also, a FH volley is certainly not a punch, as in boxing. It's not a "catch" in MOST situations. I'd say if you are to hit a FH drop volley, it's similar to a catch... but for most FH volleys, it's a clap, as clapping your hands together for a volley well done.... a simple "catch" just doesn't provide the penetration needed for deep volleys.

so read on, but take the stuff with lots of salt.

I can see what Dozu is trying to say.

The continental grip is a staple grip for the volley. I have read almost every book out there and study this game continually.

It is a grip that for many is the only grip they need to volley with. It is a good grip and serves as the midpoint for those that may not find this grip effective for whatever reason.

I am one person that never could hit a backhand volley with a true continental grip but i doesnt mean it is a wrong grip or a bad grip for pros and club level players. For me, I went to an extreme to get used to volleying with a grip change. I used to eastern backhand grip and the eastern forehand grip for months to get used to changing grips and hit more solid volleys.

However, as I got used to the grips, I felt the change of grips at the net was a bit extreme. So I slowly migrated back towards the continetal to find the "middle" of the road that suited me.

It is true that many pros do "alter" their grip from a continental grip. Video clips of Sampras has shown he did as well. Many others did too - especially on the backhand volley.

For those that do want to change grips because of your individual requirements (i.e. hand size, wrist strength, etc.) I would recommend getting used to having a loose grip of the racquet handle to be able to change grips at lightening speed.

You should feel free to experiment the racquet position that fits your hand and wrist to be able to execute solid volleys on both sides. Sometimes players will only alter the backhand volley and keep the forehand in a true continental position. I sometimes do this.

You will als find the when you go to the Easterns your volleys will be very very solid. This is mainly because the racquet face meets the ball flatter rather then more open. If you bend at the knees for lower volleys you should be able to also hit a solid volley with these grips as well. Like anything else - it takes practice.

TwistServe
09-23-2004, 11:04 AM
I used to do forehand volleys with continental until 2 weeks ago.. My coach pointed out the wrist position was too weak and switched me to more eastern grip. Now my forehand volleys have a lot more punch, and more stability.

lendl lives
09-23-2004, 03:16 PM
well guys..i haven't actually tried any of the stuff yet. so we'll see. i love the simple way he uses to explain grips. (especially the forehand western grip: the "frying pan"...i'd never heard that one).

Bungalo, could your recommend a good book?