PDA

View Full Version : Björn Borg in action

peter
05-20-2007, 09:56 PM
Check out this link:
http://www.matchboll.net/nyhetsarkivet/nyhetsarkiv/5.641e48d511074e176b2800034313.html

for some pictures of Björn Borg playing some (fairly) low level league play in Sweden a week ago or so in an away match a sunday afternoon at a small tennis club in. Björn Borg didn't even play #1 singles (he played #2 singles since he has too little "tennis points" :-).

(Needless to say he won his match 6-0, 6-0 :-)

psamp14
05-20-2007, 10:00 PM
thanks for the link!

looks like borg's playing with a k factor! :)

suwanee4712
05-23-2007, 09:28 AM
Isn't it nice to see an all time great back on some obscure clay court just doing what he loves to do? Tennis is very much a game that never fully leaves you. I bet even 25 years since he stopped playing it still feels great for him to rip one of those crosscourt backhands with that topspin.

Rabbit
05-23-2007, 09:43 AM
The Borgster is starting to look a wee bit old. It is great to see him on court though. I'm glad he's still involved.

dunloplayah
05-23-2007, 10:28 AM
Great to see him playing! Yeah, he's looking a little rough there. He must be out of money again, hitting the senior tours soon....all joking aside...I hope he does. it'd be nice to see him and Mac play again!

Mick
05-23-2007, 12:26 PM
thanks for the link!

looks like borg's playing with a k factor! :)

what a surprise ! :)

Mick
05-23-2007, 04:12 PM
I wonder if that was an US or an asian K90 that he was using :)

http://i15.tinypic.com/4xqjf3q.jpg

psamp14
05-23-2007, 07:47 PM
what a surprise ! :)

[QUOTE=Mick;1465460]I wonder if that was an US or an asian K90 that he was using :)

you're the borg expert mick...but what version of the racquet and his setup is still a mystery.....perhaps breakpoint can enlighten us....:)

BP! chime in! :)

CEvertFan
05-23-2007, 10:44 PM
The Borgster is starting to look a wee bit old. It is great to see him on court though. I'm glad he's still involved.

It happens to everyone. ;)

Mick
05-23-2007, 11:48 PM
It happens to everyone. ;)
between borg, connors, and mcenroe, it seems that connors ages the least.

BreakPoint
05-23-2007, 11:51 PM
I wonder if that was an US or an asian K90 that he was using :)

you're the borg expert mick...but what version of the racquet and his setup is still a mystery.....perhaps breakpoint can enlighten us....:)

BP! chime in! :)
That's of course the Swedish version of the K90. ;) LOL

psamp14
05-24-2007, 09:47 AM
That's of course the Swedish version of the K90. ;) LOL

LOL! how easy you answer racquet questions! i had such wild possibilities for what it might be...stock K90, asian K90, federer's setup of the K90, ...even a woodie paintjobbed to look like a K90 :)

Mick
05-24-2007, 12:16 PM
BP's response is pretty clever :)

so now both Serena Williams and Borg have switched to a smaller headsize racquet. Apparently, they no longer believe bigger is better.

peter
05-24-2007, 12:28 PM
BP's response is pretty clever :)

so now both Serena Williams and Borg have switched to a smaller headsize racquet. Apparently, they no longer believe bigger is better.

Borg switched to a smaller racket? Bzzzt! He switched from a 70sq.in racket to a 90sq.in - if that's not switching to a _bigger_ racket then I don't know what is... :-)

Mick
05-24-2007, 12:54 PM
Borg switched to a smaller racket? Bzzzt! He switched from a 70sq.in racket to a 90sq.in - if that's not switching to a _bigger_ racket then I don't know what is... :-)

Hi Peter. Thanks for the link :)

The last racquet that Borg used before switching to the K90 was a midsize plus Head racquet. So he did switch to a smaller racquet .

http://www.cmi.com.co/ImgNota/fototenistabjornbjorg.jpg

CyBorg
05-24-2007, 12:55 PM
Borg's racket in his playing days was tiny.

BreakPoint
05-24-2007, 01:38 PM
The last racquet that Borg used before switching to the K90 was a midsize plus Head racquet. So he did switch to a smaller racquet .

I know when Borg was playing on the Seniors Tour several years ago he was mostly using a Head Prestige Classic Mid, which is actually about 89.5 sq.in. So I'd say he pretty much stayed with the same head size. ;)

Wouldn't you guys love to see Borg play McEnroe on red clay at Roland Garros with both using their old wood racquets? :D Who do you think would win?

FYI, I saw Borg play McEnroe on Har-Tru clay in Westchester, NY back in like '97 or '98 but they were both using their modern graphite racquets. McEnroe surprisingly won easily in straight sets.

Mick
05-24-2007, 01:54 PM
I stand corrected based upon the information BP has provided.

I think Borg would have an advantage over McEnroe if they play at Roland Garros with the wood racquets but on the other surfaces, the advantage would go to McEnroe.

I think it would be more fun to have either Borg or McEnroe compete with a wood racquet against today's top WTA players. That would be a very exciting match to watch, IMHO :)

BreakPoint
05-24-2007, 02:05 PM
I stand corrected based upon the information BP has provided.

Well, Borg hasn't played on the Seniors Tour for many years now so he may have switched to a larger racquet in between the Prestige Classic Mid and the K90. In fact, in the pic you posted, I'm not really sure what racquet that is as the angle makes it hard to see but it looks like an i.Prestige Mid to me.

AAAA
05-24-2007, 05:35 PM
Why doesn't Borg play in my league????????? I'm envious of the guy who lost to him. Being schooled by one of the game's GOAT must go down as one of the greatest tennis memories possible for us rank and file amatuer hacks.

vsbabolat
05-24-2007, 05:39 PM
Well, Borg hasn't played on the Seniors Tour for many years now so he may have switched to a larger racquet in between the Prestige Classic Mid and the K90. In fact, in the pic you posted, I'm not really sure what racquet that is as the angle makes it hard to see but it looks like an i.Prestige Mid to me.

It is a Prestige Classic 600 with a i.Prestige mid paint job.

peter
05-25-2007, 12:52 AM
Why doesn't Borg play in my league????????? I'm envious of the guy who lost to him. Being schooled by one of the game's GOAT must go down as one of the greatest tennis memories possible for us rank and file amatuer hacks.

Yeah. I'm envious too! To bad I need to wait 5 more years before I can play in that 45yo league (but by then Borgs team will have advanced up from division 3 to (probaby) div 1 so I won't have a chance to get beaten by him anyway. Darn!

Atleast I've got a 1-0 lifetime score against Magnus Norman!

(No, not matches. Not sets. Not games. Balls played... :-)

AAAA
05-25-2007, 05:35 PM
Yeah. I'm envious too! To bad I need to wait 5 more years before I can play in that 45yo league (but by then Borgs team will have advanced up from division 3 to (probaby) div 1 so I won't have a chance to get beaten by him anyway. Darn!

You are still lucky to have played against Magnus Norman, Roland Garros Finalist.

Mick
05-25-2007, 05:57 PM
haha -- if I could play against Borg, I would wear the same Fila outfit that he had worn at Wimbledon to play him. That should freak him out a little bit :D

BreakPoint
05-25-2007, 06:55 PM
haha -- if I could play against Borg, I would wear the same Fila outfit that he had worn at Wimbledon to play him. That should freak him out a little bit :D
You mean like McEnroe did when he played Borg for the first time at Wimbledon? ;) LOL

http://i13.tinypic.com/66v67mc.jpg

Mick
05-25-2007, 07:22 PM
You mean like McEnroe did when he played Borg for the first time at Wimbledon? ;) LOL

damn. I thought it was an original idea but McEnroe had thought of it first :D

BreakPoint
05-25-2007, 07:29 PM
damn. I thought it was an original idea but McEnroe had thought of it first :D

Actually, I was kidding with you Mick. ;) McEnroe wore that "Borg" Fila outfit during his first Wimbledon in 1977 but he never played Borg that year as he was beaten by Jimmy Connors in the semis (as a qualifier). Of course, Connors went on to lose to Borg in the final in 5 sets. ;)

Mick
05-26-2007, 04:54 PM
Actually, I was kidding with you Mick. ;) McEnroe wore that "Borg" Fila outfit during his first Wimbledon in 1977 but he never played Borg that year as he was beaten by Jimmy Connors in the semis (as a qualifier). Of course, Connors went on to lose to Borg in the final in 5 sets. ;)

Thanks for the story, BP. It must have freaked Connors out somewhat: He played with someone who looked like Borg in the semi and then played the real Borg in the final :)

zapvor
05-29-2007, 07:15 PM

dude that is awesome.

fridrix
06-03-2007, 06:22 AM
Great picture of McEnroe dressed like Borg! He should have bleached his hair for the full effect.