PDA

View Full Version : MY NEW LOVE OF ROAD CYCLING IS KILLING MY TENNIS!

cervelo
09-23-2004, 09:04 AM
I started cycling in June and really got interested in riding more as the summer went by. Still, I play tennis 4-5 times a week; I have always been a speedy tennis player. For the first month or two when I began to ride my bike, I noticed that I had gained even more speed and explosiveness on court. At that time, I was riding 10 - 20 miles a day.

Now, I comfortably ride 30 to 50 miles but my legs have lost a significant amount of power, especially with that first step.

To any cycling enthusiasts out there: Is it possible to develop an advanced cycling training regimen that wont affect my "tennis muscles?" I've read that as I progress to a higher level of endurance training I may begin to lack the muscle function utilized for tennis.

Any comments?

Hedges
09-23-2004, 03:19 PM
Just don't make the mistake I made and focus exclusively on cycling. I lost my tennis legs.

I have a friend who uses cycling (200 miles/week) to cross-train for tennis. It works for him...he's an excellent S&V player; still got his tennis legs.

So, I'd guess you'll be fine as long as you cross train, and don't obsess on cycling like I did for 8 years ;-)

jun
09-23-2004, 10:45 PM
I have been biking a little bit these days and it has helped my movement..

Maybe you did lose the explosiveness. Maybe your leg is simply tired and fatigued from biking 30 miles.

Maybe you can try to do some sprint dirlls to get the first step back. YOu could do squats, kangaroo jumps etc.

cervelo
09-24-2004, 02:07 PM
Hedges: I think I did go too extreme for a "beginner." It's so hard for me not to push it on the bike; it's so addictive ... My endurance grew like crazy and I really started to feel stronger quickly ... The more I rode though, the more I started to understand about peaks and valleys in physical conditioning. I just wasn't sure why my legs lost such a high amount of explosiveness for tennis. At least I know it's not just me ...

Jun: I have been doing more x-training and it has helped a whole bunch! Funny that you mentioned squats and K-jumps as I have found that they are extremely helpful for tennis.

Thanks.