PDA

View Full Version : Standard of guy in blue? Video inside

Duzza
05-21-2007, 12:08 AM
They are both around the same but the guy closest to screen won.

I know it is only one point, and it starts at about 0:24.

http://video.tinypic.com/player.php?v=66d03y9

http://s187.photobucket.com/albums/x100/duzza_2007/?action=view&current=SV_A0064.flv

forzainter
05-21-2007, 01:24 AM
did you take this video? it was kinda hard to see the guy in blue

Duzza
05-21-2007, 01:27 AM
Sorry, I did, I should have said guy down the closest end...sorry.

OrangeOne
05-21-2007, 01:29 AM
Sorry, I did, I should have said guy down the closest end...sorry.

Duzza it's very hard to see even the guy at the closest end! In no way could I make a standard guess based on that - anywhere from 3.5 to 5!

Oh - and I would have called the first serve in if I was him. I'm not saying it was in, but I'm pretty damn sure I'd have played it as in!

Edit: I see there's an ump. Nonetheless... :)

Duzza
05-21-2007, 01:31 AM
Damn......well have a wild guess then :(. I'll give you a hint, the first serve wasn't called in because a linesman called it out.

OrangeOne
05-21-2007, 01:34 AM
Damn......well have a wild guess then :(. I'll give you a hint, the first serve wasn't called in because a linesman called it out.

So we're talking our open level, so what, 5.5? I'll admit, the slice approach is very nice, and then, and only then, I notice the footwork. It's nice, fluid, and involves lots of steps. Why, oh why didn't I follow my own rule and look there first? ;)

So, now I think - 5.0 or 5.5 - esp. if there were linesmen?

Duzza
05-21-2007, 01:36 AM
Correct. It's actually a State Grade number 1 singles match at my club, they were home this week so I went down to watch. The guy closest to is us is Richard Fromberg ;).

OrangeOne
05-21-2007, 01:41 AM
Correct. It's actually a State Grade number 1 singles match at my club, they were home this week so I went down to watch. The guy closest to is us is Richard Fromberg ;).

You're not serious! That's Fromberg? Holy cow :)

I'm sooo glad I claimed baaad vision when I initially said anywhere from 3.5 to 5.0, that said it was only one point, and could have been a great point by an average player or a good point by a good player, etc etc.

What's 'Frommie' doing playing State Grade I wonder? Does he do it just for the love of it, like Warnie used to play for his club side once or twice a year?

(*Slaps self*: I will always, and I mean always, used my footwork-first rule in the future when looking at players and videos)

Duzza
05-21-2007, 01:48 AM
Nah nah he is around the standard of State Grade nowadays, he is probably one of the best though, even on en tout cas with his game.

Some other notable players were:

John Peers who is around 19 or so I think, and no.4 for Kooyong Will McNamee, 369 or something in the world juniors, this kid has the most comfortable, watchable game of tennis I have seen. He doesn't get frustrated, he whacks the hell out of it, but makes little UE's.

OrangeOne
05-21-2007, 01:52 AM
Richard Fromberg (AUS) (http://www.atptennis.com/3/en/players/playerprofiles/default.asp?playersearch=fromberg)

Career High ATP Ranking - Singles:24 (13-Aug-90)

Prize Money:$2,605,740

And for anyone who thinks players at this level (maxing out in the 20s) aren't that good, how about

Fromberg d. Sampras, 1990 Queens Club (Grass): 3-6, 6-4, 10-8 !!!!
Fromberg d. Agassi, 1990 Cincinnati (Hard): 6-4, 3-6, 6-3 !!!

(Imagine being able to tell the grandkids that you beat Sampras and Agassi in the same year on their favourite surfaces!)

Duzza
05-21-2007, 01:55 AM
But also you gotta take into account he is 37 odd now :p

OrangeOne
05-21-2007, 02:02 AM
But also you gotta take into account he is 37 odd now :p

Yeah - I changed my post to point out that I was meaning that many people on here tend to think that players who never are number 1 or 2 aren't good players, and I was just trying to show that a player whose highest ever ranking was 24 can mix it with the very very best....

Oh - and scary to think now - well he's about the same age as when Agassi retired!

Duzza
05-21-2007, 02:11 AM
Oh, no problems. But Agassi is a freak.

Solat
05-21-2007, 06:22 AM
thats a Fromberg forehand from waaaaaaaaaaaaay back