PDA

View Full Version : trophy serve position

Ghosting
05-21-2007, 10:53 AM
Does anybody know how quickly should I get trophy position when serving? Should I get it when I toss the ball up or when ball goes down? And in which height should I hold the racket to get smooth swing? Thanks for tips.

JCo872
05-21-2007, 11:23 AM
Does anybody know how quickly should I get trophy position when serving? Should I get it when I toss the ball up or when ball goes down? And in which height should I hold the racket to get smooth swing? Thanks for tips.

Check this clip out as a reference:
http://www.hi-techtennis.com/video_sample/index.php?movie=dj_side_serve.swf&size=vertical

Djokovic is in the trophy position by the time the ball is just peaking in height. Not sure what you mean by the second question. Are you talking about your grip?

oldhacker
05-21-2007, 11:33 AM
I have been looking at this quite a bit recently and from the pros I have studied I would agree that they reach their trophy position (tossing arm fully extended and racquet ready to fire) when the ball reaches its highest point.

As an aside can I ask what people's views are on the pros and cons of racquet position in the trophy position (*largely determined by wrist and forearm position). Most pros seem to have the racquet tip pointing more or less skyward which to me means the forearm is pronated and the thumb side of the wrist flexed away from the forearm. For some reason I cannot seem to serve like this and instead have a trophy position with a relaxed wrist where my forearm is supinated and the wrist laid back meaning that the racquet is pretty much horizontal rather vertical so held more like a javelin thrower holding a javelin before throwing. This means there is less to do to drop the racquet head from the trophy position as my forearm is already supinated and wrist laid back. But the pros do not do it so I must be missing something. Any ideas?

Ghosting
05-21-2007, 11:36 AM
Check this clip out as a reference:
http://www.hi-techtennis.com/video_sample/index.php?movie=dj_side_serve.swf&size=vertical

Djokovic is in the trophy position by the time the ball is just peaking in height. Not sure what you mean by the second question. Are you talking about your grip?

Thanks a lot. The second question is about if my racket (strings) should be above my head to get better down swing?

JCo872
05-21-2007, 12:00 PM
Thanks a lot. The second question is about if my racket (strings) should be above my head to get better down swing?

Gotcha. Yes, definitely!