PDA

View Full Version : What is sandbagging?

sinneTennis
05-21-2007, 01:37 PM
Read the title.

drakulie
05-21-2007, 01:46 PM
When one player makes it seem like he is not that good, then gets on the court and woops ***!

In tennis, many players sandbag with their NTRP rating. For instance, they may be a 5.0 player, but join tournaments at the 4.0 level just so they coudl win.

kevhen
05-21-2007, 01:50 PM
Playing at lower levels just to win easily. You can intentionally lose some matches to stay at a lower level or just lose enough games to keep your matches close. You can also ask for medical exemptions or just self-rate lower than what you know you are.

If the USTA did a better job with NTRP we wouldn't have so much sandbagging but they aren't strict enough with ratings as they just want as many players to play including sandbaggers.

sinneTennis
05-21-2007, 02:10 PM
Thanks, but where do they actually get the term from? Whats the significance of sandbaggers? Do "sandbags" have a history of some sort?

drakulie
05-21-2007, 02:15 PM
I belive it is a military term>>> not sure. Something to do with leaving your assigned foxhole?? Foxholes, are lined with sandbags.

Hope somebody else could chime in here.

sinneTennis
05-21-2007, 02:17 PM
Sorry if i'm being a nuisance. It's just an interesting choice of words xD

drakulie
05-21-2007, 02:23 PM
No problem. You actually have me curious now. I'm going to look this up on the net, and hopefully I could find a history for the use of that term.

kevhen
05-21-2007, 02:25 PM
http://golf.about.com/od/historyofgolf/f/hfaq_sandbag.htm

Taxvictim
05-21-2007, 02:31 PM
I really don't buy that history of the term. The sandbag was a weapon?

There are several other explanations about racers using sandbags to slow them down (horse or car) during qualifying runs, so they could get a better position or better odds, then they'd lose the sandbags for the actual race. (In the olden days of car racing, slow cars went up front.) Thus, the sandbag was a method to conceal a strength until it mattered. That makes a lot more sense to the way the word is now used.

drakulie
05-21-2007, 02:37 PM
Kehven, Taxvictim >> thanks. Both interesting points of view on the origin.

sinneTennis
05-21-2007, 03:24 PM
Interesting ^^

[K]aotic
05-21-2007, 05:33 PM
if sandbagging is going up on noobs then that is pathetic... the only way to improve is to play people better than u... there is always someone out there that is better than u, but in fed's case, i'm not sure that applies to him.

Max G.
05-21-2007, 07:19 PM
I really don't buy that history of the term. The sandbag was a weapon?

Apparently so. Dictionary.com lists the weapon use of the word sandbag as the second definition when you look for "sandbag". There are also a bunch of other sources on the web that cite that use of the word.

Then, at the bottom, Dictionary.com lists its use as a poker term, and there are a couple of other sites that confirm that...

That has me convinced that the term came into the other sports from poker. I'm not necessarily convinced that the weapon use of the word is what translated to poker though...