PDA

View Full Version : Major Serve Problem

FEDEX1
05-21-2007, 05:30 PM
Well a couple days ago i was serving beutifully. I finally thought i had found my serve for good and it was here to stay. But...today when i was playing it was horrible and i mean HORRIBLE. I kept on hitting the frame or at the very bottom or top of the racquet. Does anyone have any suggestions so my serve wont go away and will be consistant so i can expect how im gonna serve before i play.

tennis_hand
05-21-2007, 05:42 PM
It happened to me last Sunday as well, lost the friendly match due to my serving double fault. I usually serve well at the beginning, but as time goes on, it will get worse. The tossing arm just can't lift the ball high enough after a while, and if it is high, then I can't time it well any more and frame it.

Help appreciated.

J.W. North Tennis91
05-21-2007, 05:53 PM
you guys are not the only one the first couple of days my serves are really fast than i keep doing silly mistakes with those serves such as framing it and whatnot

[K]aotic
05-21-2007, 07:02 PM
wow i thought i was the onl one!!! newayz happens to me all the time. i've noticed that i serve WAY better when i'm tired... is this just me?

andymac1
05-21-2007, 07:03 PM
[K]aotic. The same thing happens to me, I don't know why, I think it's because my muscles are more warmed up, because when I'm tired, I know I'm warmed up fully.

tennis_hand
05-21-2007, 07:04 PM
[K]aotic. The same thing happens to me, I don't know why, I think it's because my muscles are more warmed up, because when I'm tired, I know I'm warmed up fully.

more like, you are relaxed when u are tired.

Indrid Cold
05-21-2007, 07:19 PM
I usually lose my serve when i try to hit it too fast. I get confident in it then I don't think and try to wail it, tensing up in the process. I usually find if I just go through my motion and work on the toss, staying relaxed, and timing then it just comes to me and gets faster as the warm up/match continues.

cam2
05-21-2007, 07:24 PM
I usually lose my serve when i try to hit it too fast. I get confident in it then I don't think and try to wail it, tensing up in the process. I usually find if I just go through my motion and work on the toss, staying relaxed, and timing then it just comes to me and gets faster as the warm up/match continues.

Exactly, serving is about rhythm, that's why the pro's usually go through a whole process to slow themselves down and relax right before it.

Jlocke
05-21-2007, 07:38 PM
It is all about the Kinetic Chain. Fatigue will cause shoulder drop, chest caving, or head instability. Usually, the symptoms you are descibing are from lack of mechanics/poor form. What I think you are really doing is when you are fresh you can force the body parts to do what you want, but as time goes on your body reverts to its natural state, like Kaotic. There are some excellent videos on Kenitic Chain serving. The one technique I use is as a warmup I have a long sock with two balls inside and I swing that for about five minutes, getting myself reconnected with my swing.

phucng_10
05-21-2007, 07:42 PM
It happened to me last Sunday as well, lost the friendly match due to my serving double fault. I usually serve well at the beginning, but as time goes on, it will get worse. The tossing arm just can't lift the ball high enough after a while, and if it is high, then I can't time it well any more and frame it.

Help appreciated.

It's very true, once you get into the game more and more, your serve gets a bit worser. I could be guessing that you may be tired, arm should be tired as well, and you're losing loads of stamina. Thinking too much and having too much confidence in yourself, will result in a loss of a set.

shindemac
05-21-2007, 09:52 PM
My serve gets better as I warm up, not worse. It's important to have rhythm when you serve, and stick to your serve routine. If you read the NTRP guidelines, rhythm is one of the criteria that better servers have. Kinetic chain is more about generating power, although it assumes you're doing something right if you're using the chain properly.

FEDEX1
05-22-2007, 04:07 PM
ya i also get better at serving as the game goes on

[K]aotic
05-22-2007, 06:48 PM
OMG ok so today, i was serving iBOMBS! man thanx for the advice about relaxing your muscles and just going with the bodies natural swing! :D