PDA

View Full Version : How i healed my back!

guedoguedo
05-21-2007, 06:59 PM
I posted awhile back about a wicked lower back tear/strain (from torquing too much on a bh) and i couldnt hit a 2hbh for about 5 months because the torque just preyed upon that muscle. I couldnt run hard after any ball for fear of stopping quickly and having that tear up my lowerback. It was really depressing because just playing would make my back feel gimpy the next day, even if i didnt hit a backhand. I was luckily able to only play clay courts the last couple of months, and i think that was 50% of it because the sliding disapates any pressure/energy that would go to your lower back on hard courts.

The other 50% I KNOW was doing bridges and back extensions every other day, doing LOTS of lower back and leg stretching every day, and using a heat pad on my lower back every other day before I go to bed. I also took advil directly after playing. In fact since i started doing the heat maybe a month ago, I started to see huge strides. Now I am 90% and almost all the way there, and can hit backhands pretty hard without feeling like its gonna fall apart. I am so happy because it has been a depressing year since January.

Just remember time will heal, but if you do these things: constant stretching, low pressure back exercises, strengthen your thighs, apply heat, and take advil (optional), you will rapidly speed up your recovery.

circusmouse
05-22-2007, 01:30 PM
You did it right. Patience and intelligent work are the way to go. One thing, though: I would recommend taking the ibuprofen before tennis, not after. That's just the suggestion I've read. I also ice any suspect joints after tennis.