PDA

View Full Version : Will Nadal recover in time & enough for the FO? (Fitness Discussion)

OrangeOne
05-21-2007, 07:42 PM
Please note: This is in the fitness forum as I'm specifically focussing on this from the fitness angle, not just from the "fan" perspective...

So - what do we think?

Personally - I wonder if he has exhausted himself a little too much over the last weeks.

Most individual (solo) endurance athletes aim to 'peak' for a period of 1-2 weeks (team-sport is different), and then recover for a period before building to a peak again.

As I see it, Nadal has just 'peaked' for 4 of the last 5 weeks, with only a 1-week break in the middle. Admittedly he had a comparatively easy first 2 weeks, but the second 2 weeks has definitely drained him, he was definitely spent in the 3rd set on Sunday.

Now, with 1 week's active rest, he'll be back in reasonable health for next Monday for sure.... but reasonable isn't enough to make it through 2 weeks of the toughest physical slam of the year. I'm not saying he'll lose in the first round, I am saying I think the cumulative tiredness that builds up throughout a slam will hit him harder and earlier than normal. I guess I'm also saying that a tougher-than-usual early round match could do more damage.

Thoughts? (And please, thoughts that are based somewhere in fitness would be great, not just "Nadal is a warrior" / "Fed will win" type stuff!)

Mad iX
05-21-2007, 08:12 PM
1 week is plenty of time for someone as fit as Nadal to recover.
I think it's his mental fatigue which is more important.

Mad iX
05-21-2007, 08:17 PM

OrangeOne
05-21-2007, 08:22 PM

Sorry, but you're wrong (in general terms). What you're saying is akin to saying that it's possible to run a marathon every Sunday, and sports-science knows that it's not. He had nothing left in the tank in the final, that's showing fairly-solid exhaustion in my book. I take the opposite line of critical-fitness thinking to the one you're showing above. I think for someone as fit as Nadal to show exhaustion in a match he would have been desperate to win, then I wonder how long it'll truly take to regenerate back to very very fresh.

Remember too, he is young, and endurance actually builds with age, the best endurance athletes in the world are in their late 20s and early 30s. Nadal is working with arguably the hardest form of endurance, which is a power-endurance, continuous burst of high-output.

I hope for his sake I'm wrong, but I still suspect he's not going to start the FO at 100%. An easy first week could mean some extra recovery for him, a harder first week could be a nail in the coffin.

chess9
05-22-2007, 08:07 AM
I generally agree with OrangeOne. Nadal looked pretty exhausted in that third set. I don't know, maybe it was to whet our appetites for the FO, but Federer looked very solid (for a change this year!).

You can run a marathon every Sunday, and it's been done, but quality is a different matter. The top marathoners might squeeze 3 quality marathons out of their bodies each year if they remain injury free and don't have a lot of shorter race committments.

These pros are probably running the equivalent of 5K per set on clay since the points are longer. That's 9 miles a day with a lot of serious sprinting thrown in. If you were talking about a SPRINTER as opposed to a mararthoner, well, such workouts done ONCE per week would do in most sprinters.

This is going to be Federer's year because of Nadal's 90 (?) game winning streak.
Too pooped to POP! :)

-Robert

ollinger
05-22-2007, 10:12 AM
Nadal has recently been playing one week tournaments in which one can play four times in five days. Slams involve playing every other day and he has a week to rest. Doesn't seem like too much for a twenty year old.

Nadal_Freak
05-22-2007, 10:27 AM
Thank goodness Nadal is not running a marathon a la 5+ hour matches that would drain him that much. 7-8 days should be enough for him to recover fully. The key is for him is to not play extremely long matches during the French Open. That will drain him. Last year he got lucky with Djokovic retiring early as he played 2 extremely long matches against Mathieu and Hewitt. Hopefully he gets easier matches this time around.