PDA

View Full Version : To those who sweat a lot

tennis_hand
05-21-2007, 10:52 PM
I am one of the guys who sweat a lot. But I am fit. I go to gym almost every free evening and run on the treadmill for about 1.6km for 8-9min after I do weight training such as push up, pull down, situps and lift some weights.
I will look like bathed after 10min of running. You can imagine, the sweat is full of my T-shirt and even drips down.

However, I realize that when I play tennis, I lose my stamina very fast. I get tired after a set, then I will double-fault a lot. I mean, I have slimmed down after all these training, lost 6kg, and pumped my stamina up, but the benefit doesn't propagate to the tennis games. So I wonder whether it is due to my sweating. Is extreme sweating making me lose my stamina so fast?

Anyone has similar problems and any idea what's wrong?

LuckyR
05-22-2007, 11:06 AM
I am one of the guys who sweat a lot. But I am fit. I go to gym almost every free evening and run on the treadmill for about 1.6km for 8-9min after I do weight training such as push up, pull down, situps and lift some weights.
I will look like bathed after 10min of running. You can imagine, the sweat is full of my T-shirt and even drips down.

However, I realize that when I play tennis, I lose my stamina very fast. I get tired after a set, then I will double-fault a lot. I mean, I have slimmed down after all these training, lost 6kg, and pumped my stamina up, but the benefit doesn't propagate to the tennis games. So I wonder whether it is due to my sweating. Is extreme sweating making me lose my stamina so fast?

Anyone has similar problems and any idea what's wrong?

A couple of ideas:

First your sweat loss is probably genetic.

Second, do you have white salt rings around your dark colored caps? If so, you are a sodium losing sweater and will need to supplement with salt before playing (as opposed to only fluid loading, like everyone else)

Third, if you are losing lots of salt, your ability to retain the fluid that you are loading with will be compromised so yes, it could compromise your performance.

trav*17
05-22-2007, 03:51 PM
i also sweat a bunch when playing tennis, and LuckyR what are somethings that we could drink to supplemnt for the salt loss before a match or sporting event?

TennezSport
05-22-2007, 04:13 PM
If you lose a lot of water when you play tennis, you are also losing salt and electrolytes, which your system needs to deliver energy to the muscles. You can try eating salt tablets, salty pretzels or a small salt bagel before you play, or you can use sport drinks like Gatorade, etc. (make sure you have no hypertension issues with your doctor first)

Just make sure that you hydrate before and after a match to avoid cramping and to replenish the lost fluids. If you want to understand more about this you should go to see a sports nutrionist and explain your problem.

I have had this same problem for years and found combinations of the above work for me depending on how hot it is. Good luck in your endevor

TennezSport :cool:

trav*17
05-22-2007, 04:22 PM
thanks for the advice

tennis_hand
05-22-2007, 07:21 PM
A couple of ideas:

First your sweat loss is probably genetic.

Second, do you have white salt rings around your dark colored caps? If so, you are a sodium losing sweater and will need to supplement with salt before playing (as opposed to only fluid loading, like everyone else)

Third, if you are losing lots of salt, your ability to retain the fluid that you are loading with will be compromised so yes, it could compromise your performance.

Salt prints on my t-shirts are common. They are around the neck and shoulder part of the t-shirt after it dries. After I sweat, I can even rubber some salt off my skin.

I think you are right. I probably need to prepare salty water.

OrangeOne
05-22-2007, 07:32 PM
I am one of the guys who sweat a lot. But I am fit.

That's cool - it's not a case of 'but you are fit"... ie. being fit doesn't mean that you won't sweat! People sweat different amounts, but sweating is healthy and normal!

run on the treadmill for about 1.6km for 8-9min
I lose my stamina very fast.

It's not the sweating. Sure, make sure you drink a lot to replace water loss, and hitting a gatorade won't hurt.

BUT: The above is your problem. Run slower and longer. Build up to 30+ minutes, walking and running if you need to. Do this at least 3 times a week, and your stamina will build. Right now you're training yourself for less than 10mins, and you're finding it translates to the courts. Train, aerobically, for longer, and you'll find it translates well.

dunloplayah
05-22-2007, 08:33 PM
If you lose a lot of water when you play tennis, you are also losing salt and electrolytes, which your system needs to deliver energy to the muscles. You can try eating salt tablets, salty pretzels or a small salt bagel before you play, or you can use sport drinks like Gatorade, etc. (make sure you have no hypertension issues with your doctor first)

Just make sure that you hydrate before and after a match to avoid cramping and to replenish the lost fluids. If you want to understand more about this you should go to see a sports nutrionist and explain your problem.

I have had this same problem for years and found combinations of the above work for me depending on how hot it is. Good luck in your endevor

TennezSport :cool:

Great Advice.

I too have this issue, but i need to find a few sports drink now that i no longer take in High Fructose Corn Syrup. Anyone know of a good replenishing drink that doesn't have HFCS in it?

Thanks!

pro_staff
05-22-2007, 10:02 PM
I sweat a lot also when I play tennis and I have a tendency to cramp up during mildly hot days. So I take a dietary potassium pill before I play just to have some salt inside my body.

dunloplayah
05-22-2007, 10:08 PM
I usually have a banana with me for a bite in changeovers or between sets

volusiano
05-22-2007, 10:21 PM
On the salt losing sweat comment, I do sweat a lot, too, but I usually find salt rings on my shirt more often when I play tennis during the day. If I play at night, or when I exercise indoors, running the treadmill or whatever, I still sweat but don't have the salt rings.

Does the sun light have something to do with causing you to lose more salt?

LuckyR
05-23-2007, 08:35 AM
i also sweat a bunch when playing tennis, and LuckyR what are somethings that we could drink to supplemnt for the salt loss before a match or sporting event?

Whoa there. There seems to be a bit of confusion between the salt (electrolytes) in sports drinks, which are there to speed hydration and salt loading before matches, to help you conserve fluid.

The amount of salt in sports drinks is way too little (and drinking them during a match is much too late) to impact your total body salt reserves.

You need to load the salt in the form of tablets (yeech!), pretzels (yummy) or somesuch say 6 - 8 hours before the match. This will help you retain the fluid you load with say, 2 - 4 hours before the match.

Salt tabs, during a match are for cramps caused by salt loss, but if the above is done right, shouldn't be necessary.

dunloplayah
05-23-2007, 08:46 AM
Good point. I try to carb up with a high glycemic food like a bagel or a Kashi crunch bar, and the smoothie I usually drink/make, is strawberries, 1 banana, fresh pineaple, 1 scoop of advocare spark supplement (vitamins, potassium and many other things) with OJ and ice. It's tasty, but I"m not always able to get home an hour or two to make it before a match. So I think i'm going to start preparing bottled water with the scoop of advocare, drink one before match and the other on court. No HFCS in the advocare stuff and it should load me up with what I need to make it thru a match.

HodeClassicMP
05-23-2007, 09:15 AM
Just found this link at net, might help.

http://www.rice.edu/~jenky/sports/salt.html

Supernatural_Serve
05-23-2007, 09:22 AM
You might want to consider working out harder in the gym. The big difference between my gym and the tennis courts for me is:

my gym is air conditioned,
fans are going,
there isn't any sun beating down on me,
and the humidity is low.

That's not what its like on the court, especially outdoors.

johnny ballgame
05-23-2007, 11:20 AM
I too have this issue, but i need to find a few sports drink now that i no longer take in High Fructose Corn Syrup. Anyone know of a good replenishing drink that doesn't have HFCS in it?

I just switched from gatorade to a product called 'gookinaid by hydralite.' The sugar content is glucose, not fructose. I like it, doesn't sit heavy in your gut like gatorade sometimes does.

For those wanting lots of sodium in their electrolyte sports drink, my sister uses a product called 'nuun.' They come in tablets and contain way more sodium than normal sports drinks.

OrangeOne
05-23-2007, 01:10 PM
Wow - this thread is slightly a mirror of what is happening in the bigger fitness world. Whenever someone asks...

"I have a problem with my fitness in this area...."

Everyone looks for answers that involve something that can be paid for, not something that just requires a little hard-work. 30-45 minutes of running 3-4 days a week - that's hard work. Salt tabs / etc - well these let you pop a pill and "solve" the problem, and if they didn't work - well surely we should search for another tablet, right? NB:The OP mentioned nothing about cramping, just exhaustion.

Salt tabs? Salt loading? We're talking about tennis here, not marathons. Most western-world diets are already excessively high in salt, to be hitting it in these ways.... well you'd want to be sure you're already deficient in salt in your diet!

richw76
05-23-2007, 01:25 PM
Wow - this thread is slightly a mirror of what is happening in the bigger fitness world. Whenever someone asks...

"I have a problem with my fitness in this area...."

Everyone looks for answers that involve something that can be paid for, not something that just requires a little hard-work. 30-45 minutes of running 3-4 days a week - that's hard work. Salt tabs / etc - well these let you pop a pill and "solve" the problem, and if they didn't work - well surely we should search for another tablet, right? NB:The OP mentioned nothing about cramping, just exhaustion.

Salt tabs? Salt loading? We're talking about tennis here, not marathons. Most western-world diets are already excessively high in salt, to be hitting it in these ways.... well you'd want to be sure you're already deficient in salt in your diet!

you may be right, but I still found this thread very informative. I'm black and noticed white stuff on my face after playing tennis for awhile. I assumed my skin was dry or something and never made the connection. Reading this was a "doooooooh!" moment for me.

My question, if you are loosing salt in sweat like I apparently am how do you tell if you need supplementation. As orangeone was saying even though you're losing you may already have enough through your diet.

LuckyR
05-23-2007, 01:41 PM
you may be right, but I still found this thread very informative. I'm black and noticed white stuff on my face after playing tennis for awhile. I assumed my skin was dry or something and never made the connection. Reading this was a "doooooooh!" moment for me.

My question, if you are loosing salt in sweat like I apparently am how do you tell if you need supplementation. As orangeone was saying even though you're losing you may already have enough through your diet.

Good pickup. The OP noted an excessive sweating issue, so vague generalities about average diets and so forth are of limited value.

As mentioned before different folks lose salt at very different rates (there has been a small brouhaha among those of African descent in the US as to the origins of their salt losing/sparing tendencies).

Luckily if you are in good health, there is little downside to salt loading since you'll just pee out the excess above what you need, but as the OP and now you, mention there is a big downside to being salt poor going into a hot, humid 3-5 set match (if you are vulnerable to salt losing). Just ask Michael Chang. No marathons implied, nor required...

Andres
05-23-2007, 06:42 PM
However, I realize that when I play tennis, I lose my stamina very fast. I get tired after a set
Then, you're not fit.
I think Stamina is one of the best ways to check if a person is fit or not. Anyone can have an initial energy burst, but only the fit people can maintain it for an extended period of time.