PDA

View Full Version : Drills - Putting Away Mid-Court Balls

JRstriker12
05-22-2007, 06:04 AM
Hi all,

Don't know what's happened to my game recently, but I"ve been having trouble putting away short mid-court balls. I'll blame in on playing too much doubles since those points usually end with a volley ;)

Looking to hit the court and practice putting away short balls tonight. Anyone have and good drills that I should try?

spot
05-22-2007, 06:06 AM
uhhh... toss out a ball at mid court so it bounces up and put it away?

Taxvictim
05-22-2007, 06:13 AM
Go to Tennisone.com. On the front page there is a drill with a ball machine about exactly that issue.

JRstriker12
05-22-2007, 06:16 AM
uhhh... toss out a ball at mid court so it bounces up and put it away?

I've been doing that for the past two weeks. It's good, but it doesn't simulate game situations and usually the ball doesn't bounce straight up in a rally, it's coming towards you.

JRstriker12
05-22-2007, 06:18 AM
Go to Tennisone.com. On the front page there is a drill with a ball machine about exactly that issue.

Do you need a membership to view that article? I clicked on the link and it takes me to a page with sign-up information.

zapvor
05-22-2007, 12:23 PM
maybe try having your partner hit short balls to you so you get realistic pratice? then you two can switch and you help him with some aspect he wants practice with.

JRstriker12
05-22-2007, 12:28 PM
maybe try having your partner hit short balls to you so you get realistic pratice? then you two can switch and you help him with some aspect he wants practice with.

Yeah,

I guess that can work. I was hoping to find something more "Drill" like, but that may be the best thing.

Thanks MJ.

zapvor
05-22-2007, 12:40 PM
oh. um...drill...you can have him stand arouind the service line with a basket of balls, and have him drop them right there, while you start at the baseline(or further back if its too easy), and try to get up there and put the balls away. i say alternate between dtl and cross court winners.

smoothtennis
05-22-2007, 12:59 PM
My hitting partner and I do the put away drills every month. We take turns. We hit a few deep balls, then the 'driller' hits a mid court short sitter. The 'drillee' has to stay balanced, and move in quickly, and set up to put it away. Not an easy thing.

We have found for the most part, that this is 90% footwork, and staying the right distance from the ball, and catching it at the appex of it's bounce, and not jerking the stroke.

One guys gets like 15 of these, and then we switch.

We have also had one guy just feed balls to midcourt one after the other, and put them away. Like I said, it becomes really obivous, that it is the footwork, and transition to midcourt, not the stroke that is so challenging.

tangoll
05-22-2007, 01:49 PM
It may be a mental thing, that you think you should be able to put away the short ball with your first shot. Try thinking that when you come in for the short ball, your first shot should be a set-up shot, usually deep, hopefully low to either of the corners, giving your opponent a very difficult shot and causing either an outright error or a weak reply. Then the next shot, usually a volley or overhead, is the put away shot. Patience and consistency are usually what's required...

zapvor
05-22-2007, 09:05 PM
so how did it go? by the way i finally figured our your name. its from soccer. haha.

predrag
05-23-2007, 04:54 AM
Hi all,

Don't know what's happened to my game recently, but I"ve been having trouble putting away short mid-court balls. I'll blame in on playing too much doubles since those points usually end with a volley ;)

Looking to hit the court and practice putting away short balls tonight. Anyone have and good drills that I should try?

Try taking a lesson.
Good pro should be able to show you exactly what you need to do.
Just blasting the ball is not the way to go.

Regards, Predrag

armand
05-24-2007, 07:30 PM
Go to Tennisone.com. On the front page there is a drill with a ball machine about exactly that issue.Dude that is like the coolest avatar. But why your username? IRS got ya?

richw76
05-25-2007, 10:03 AM
My hitting partner and I do the put away drills every month. We take turns. We hit a few deep balls, then the 'driller' hits a mid court short sitter. The 'drillee' has to stay balanced, and move in quickly, and set up to put it away. Not an easy thing.

We have found for the most part, that this is 90% footwork, and staying the right distance from the ball, and catching it at the appex of it's bounce, and not jerking the stroke.

One guys gets like 15 of these, and then we switch.

We have also had one guy just feed balls to midcourt one after the other, and put them away. Like I said, it becomes really obivous, that it is the footwork, and transition to midcourt, not the stroke that is so challenging.

I'd say 95% footwork 4% mental 1% stroke or maybe 95% mental 4% footwork 1% stroke.

We would do a drill basically we would play a pro set. After 3-5 hits I would hit cross court wide. he'd dump it back short. I'd hit 3/4 pace into the open court .... thing is in practice drills I would win 19 out of 20 of those types of points but my first few practice matches everytime he was off the court and I had an "easy" shot I would mishit or hit it into the net.

Turned out I was'nt doing a split step and moving to the ball like I usually would when a slow floater would come so I would hose it. After realizing that it's getting better. When I see a short floater I yell in my head move those FEET. and it works for me ;-)

In D Zone
05-25-2007, 02:03 PM
Hi all,

You can do the drill by yourself.
(Highly recommended- versus having someone toss the ball to you).

Stand in the middle of the baseline, throw the ball short to your right. The key is to move forward diagonal towards the ball. When running to the ball hold racquet with both hand and place it on the middle of your body. As you come near to the ball, keep you eyes fit to the ball. prepare your swing (forehand - right hand); Swing racquet from low to high. Try brushing the ball instead of hitting it flat - why? since you are moving and hitting the ball close to the net, you need to clear the ball over the net first to get your shot in. Do not muscle the shot - you are already hitting the ball with top spin. If you hit it right going cross court - the ball will spin out from the court; that by itself is the winning shot.

Reason why I prefer the drill by doing it alone - so that you can adjust your stroke and the speed of the ball when you practice this drill. It does takes awhile to learn it but if you do - I guarantee you its a winner.

I continue to work and practice this shot each time I am just practicing with my servers. Now I can hit this shot with three different directions - long, angle or down the line and with pace or spin if I want to.

Good Luck !

zapvor
05-25-2007, 05:32 PM
your avatar is scary. had to say that.

In D Zone
05-25-2007, 08:46 PM
You are the first to take notice.... glad u did !

LOL!