PDA

View Full Version : Western grip forehand on the run.

Ripper
05-22-2007, 07:27 AM
My forehand grip is almost western (actually, it's between semi-western and western). Sometimes, I have some problems smacking a good forehand shot when on the run. I tend to hit it into the net. I have to focus on opening the face of the racquet a bit. Or change to a grip closer to eastern. Those of you with western grips, does this happen to you and, if so, what do you do in these situations?

Matt986
05-22-2007, 09:40 AM
Personally, I have a semi-western grip and I find myself going towards an eastern grip if I'm on the run, it seems to work well for me, if that is what you are asking.

Bottle Rocket
05-22-2007, 11:08 AM
If you're in real desperation, just go continental and slice it back...

This can also be a good time to send up a deep lob, also using a continental grip.

If you want to stick with that grip, it sounds like you already know what to do. If you can't get to the ball in time to get it over the net... well... then you just simply didn't get to the ball in time. Your opponent deserves the point.

Depending on my mood at the time, I just go for it. I try and shoot the ball down the line, usually past and behind my opponent who has made his way to the net. This is the same type of shot you see Roddick miss all the time.

zapvor
05-22-2007, 01:21 PM
yea i either do

1. a buggy whip forehand and finish way over my head with my follow through to try to get it back in play

or

2. go for lob.

but what ends up happening is the ball goes in the net, or right to teh opponent at net who then smash it away.

Thomas Bird-Itch
05-22-2007, 01:25 PM
zapvor, can you elaborate on the buggy whip? Isn't this the Nadal shot we see him pass with down the line all the time? I use a SW grip, but would like to use this shot against heavy slicers.

zapvor
05-22-2007, 01:44 PM
haha sure. but i should let you know that i am not good at it. i just like to do it for fun mostly. basically you are just imitating Nadal (or Sharapova does it too when she's gone way wide off the court), so isntead of like finishing over your shoulder,etc, you make contact, then keep swinging UP so you are consicously raising your arm over your head and bringing the racket around above your head, almost like a circle/loop motion. its kind of hard to describe. if you youtube some videos you can see it much clearer. just watch Nadal,and try to imitate it. its real fun to do even when you are not chasing down a ball way out wide.

edit:oh i use SW grip too.

lethalfang
05-22-2007, 01:55 PM
zapvor, can you elaborate on the buggy whip? Isn't this the Nadal shot we see him pass with down the line all the time? I use a SW grip, but would like to use this shot against heavy slicers.

I'll hit that shot in two different situations: 1) running forehand, and 2) when I'm late on a forehand.
For the most part, I don't really plan to go to that shot until I actually do it. It comes quite naturally. For me, that shot has less pace because I don't hit through the ball, and the followthrough is very much abbreviated.

Thomas Bird-Itch
05-22-2007, 02:15 PM
I can picture hitting myself in the head quite easily, lol. At least I have insurance! The times I've tried it the feeling is awkward and I lack control.

zapvor
05-22-2007, 02:21 PM
hmm.you shouldnt. somehow when you are doing it, i think your body naturally adjusts to it so you wont hit your head with the racket. its like a reflex.

dave333
05-22-2007, 02:50 PM
I use western and I do happen to slice a lot. I slice really short balls, kinda short but low balls that's difficult to land a really good shot on, wide shots etc. Just slice it short+low or deep to the weaker wing, or just throw random junk. Not as macho as smackin the ball but it sure as hell works when done right.

Ripper
05-22-2007, 03:48 PM
If I barely get to the ball, most likely, I'll slice it back, too. But I'm not talking about that. I'm talking about reaching the ball with enough time to drive it back, but not enough time to place myself like I would like to. My arm is going to be a bit stretched out, which makes it a bit uncomfortable to use the semiwestern and, specially, the western grip. As I said, one way I deal with this is changing to an eastern grip (like Matt). However, it would be cool to know what pros (Nadal, for example) do in these situations. And I'm not refering to the situations where he buggywhips it. I wish I could explain myself better in English :-(

Teh_pwnerer
05-22-2007, 04:07 PM
what i do is when i hit the ball i jump a little and brush as fast as i can and finish with the racquet over my head kind alike nadals but not really, i stop over my head not behind it, hit from low to high so it get the so needed spin, i cant really explain i think its natural but one thing that helps is that as soon as i hit or im about to hit the ball i jump, for some reason i cant do it if id ont jump

spot
05-22-2007, 04:31 PM
If you are that stretched out then the only thing you want to think about is lobbing up a big looper to give yourself time to recover on the court. People always try and hit winners from that position and its a pretty dumb idea. You can occasionally try and go straight down the line but for the most part all you want is to get the ball back deep to the middle.

dave333
05-22-2007, 05:47 PM
Work on getting there faster? Most likely you can do a reverse forehand (one where you end above head).