PDA

View Full Version : Connors/Agassi - rift still ?

bluegrasser
05-22-2007, 07:32 AM
I know Jimbo had bad feelings toward AA & it was magnified after that USO night match where AA predicted the score etc.. - did they ever patch things up ?

Gillian
05-23-2007, 05:31 PM
I know Jimbo had bad feelings toward AA & it was magnified after that USO night match where AA predicted the score etc.. - did they ever patch things up ?

I never heard about this rift. What were the details if you remember??

Moose Malloy
05-24-2007, 09:56 AM
This is what Connors said in 1999 about Agassi after he won the US Open, maybe he's changed his mind since Agassi did win more slams after that. I heard Agassi was hurt by these comments:

LONDON -- Jimmy Connors says Andre Agassi doesn't deserve to be mentioned "in the same breath" with him and other tennis greats.
Connors criticized Agassi, who won the U.S. Open this month and returned to No. 1 in the rankings, for wasting his talent for so long before resurrecting his career this year.

In a conference call with British tennis reporters, Connors bristled when asked if Agassi deserved to be linked with Pete Sampras and retired greats like himself, John McEnroe and Bjorn Borg.

"I wouldn't mention his name in the same breath," Connors was quoted as saying in Wednesday's newspapers.

Connors also didn't appreciate suggestions that Agassi had modeled his game after him.

"Imitation is the greatest form of flattery but I think they broke the mold when I finished," he said.

Agassi, who plummeted to No. 141 two years ago, has had a spectacular year. He won the French Open to become only the fifth player to win all four Grand Slam titles. He also reached the final at Wimbledon and swept to another U.S. Open crown.

But Connors, who spent 268 weeks as No. 1, compared with Agassi's current total of 37, is less than impressed.

"For him to be staging a comeback at the age of 29 is not the right thing," Connors said. "There have been too many dips in his career and he hasn't been consistently at the top of his game like Pete Sampras. With his talent, he should never have allowed himself to drop out of the top four or five."

http://espn.go.com/tennis/news/1999/0922/71437.html

drakulie
05-24-2007, 10:22 AM
^^^ Can't believe Connors was still ****ed of just because he has a 0-2 record against him.

drgnpride
05-24-2007, 10:28 AM
conners is a known narcissistic insecure egomaniac. if i were agassi i wouldn't give it a second thought.

CyBorg
05-24-2007, 01:07 PM
Narcissitic insecure egomaniac.

Sounds a bit like Agassi as well.

realplayer
05-24-2007, 01:29 PM
^^^ Can't believe Connors was still ****ed of just because he has a 0-2 record against him.

When Connors was aging and he needed an infusion after every match. Not a fair comparison.

Moose Malloy
05-24-2007, 01:37 PM
Just to clarify what rift the op was talking about:

In the 1988 US Open 18 year old Agassi beat 36 year old Connors in straight sets in the QF. Afterwards he said he was surprised that it was that close, saying he thought he would win 3, 3, & 3.

Connors is an egomaniac to be sure, but teenage Agassi was little disrespectful punk, & I wouldn't be surprised if that comment is still a factor in Connors' lack of respect for Agassi in 1999.

Also Connors had a classic quote when he heard about the "3,3,& 3" comment:

"I enjoy playing guys old enough to be one of my kids. Maybe he's one of them, I used to spend a lot of time in Vegas."

aah the golden age of tennis...

vive le beau jeu !
05-24-2007, 01:44 PM
"I enjoy playing guys old enough to be one of my kids. Maybe he's one of them, I used to spend a lot of time in Vegas."

good quote !!! :D
(nowadays it's not trendy anymore to "trashtalk" like this... unfotunately !)

connors was close to get his revenge the next year in the same round of the same tournament... a pity he didn't ! ;)

realplayer
05-24-2007, 01:50 PM
Agassi was a lot more respectful a year later when he beat a 37 year old Connors in five sets. He admitted that it was very close.

Moose Malloy
05-24-2007, 02:05 PM
Agassi was a lot more respectful a year later when he beat a 37 year old Connors in five sets. He admitted that it was very close.

actually he was kinda a jerk in that as well. most think he tanked the 3rd set in order to orchestrate a 5 set win(agassi's 0-5 record in 5 setters was a big talking point at the time, & agassi was very aware of the questions about his physical/mental toughness back then)
that 3rd set was pretty strange, he was hitting dropshots every other point that landed near the service line. he flashed an open hand at nick b after losing the 3rd 6-0(implying- 'its going 5')

but it almost came back to screw him, he had a 5-2 lead in the 5th & Connors came back to 5-4, & had a point to get to 5-5 before losing.

drgnpride
05-24-2007, 04:22 PM
Narcissitic insecure egomaniac.

Sounds a bit like Agassi as well.

maybe when andre was 18, but there aren't too many people who help out others the way he does now. Conners never matured beyond the 15 year old stage.

RB
05-24-2007, 05:04 PM
"But Connors, who spent 268 weeks as No. 1, compared with Agassi's current total of 37, is less than impressed. "

Nuff Said--Cant argue with that---period!!!!

suwanee4712
05-24-2007, 09:29 PM
Who didn't have a rift with Connors at some point? He was definitely a difficult person to get along with. Even though I like to watch some of his matches, he's my least favorite amongst the all time greats. I doubt I ever rooted for him, not even once.

drakulie
05-24-2007, 10:08 PM
Just watched the Agassi/Courier French Open Final. Connors was in the booth. He was paying Agassi a lot of compliments during the match .

bluegrasser
05-25-2007, 05:24 AM
:D Just to clarify what rift the op was talking about:

In the 1988 US Open 18 year old Agassi beat 36 year old Connors in straight sets in the QF. Afterwards he said he was surprised that it was that close, saying he thought he would win 3, 3, & 3.

Connors is an egomaniac to be sure, but teenage Agassi was little disrespectful punk, & I wouldn't be surprised if that comment is still a factor in Connors' lack of respect for Agassi in 1999.

Also Connors had a classic quote when he heard about the "3,3,& 3" comment:

:D :D funny, sounds like Jimbo - to me there was some similaritity in these two, but also differences - AA (early on) was more about image, and Connors was about kicking butt.

bluegrasser
05-25-2007, 05:27 AM
Just watched the Agassi/Courier French Open Final. Connors was in the booth. He was paying Agassi a lot of compliments during the match .

I agree _ I saw that match last night on TC, and man were those two spanking the ball big time, even compared to todays hitters.

FiveO
05-25-2007, 06:13 AM

While true, if Connors shared that view of the young Agassi a disrespectful punk, the irony of the pot calling the kettle black is laughable. Evidently he forgot how he acted when he first broke on the tour. "Brash" was a generous euphemism.

"Imitation is the greatest form of flattery but I think they broke the mold when I finished," he said.

Yeah, what an original. Evidently Connors also forgot who took him under their wing when he broke onto the pro tour...one, Ilie Nastase.

Four of Connors' wonderful personality traits:

disrespectful punk

egomaniac

unoriginal jack-*** on court, with slight variations on the theme, i.e. a couple of crotch grabs, using a racquet as a phallic symbol to insult opponents and linespeople, erasing ball marks on opponent's side of the court, etc.

very short memory

Gillian
05-27-2007, 02:38 PM
Agassi won the French Open to become only the fifth player to win all four Grand Slam titles.

Who were the other four? Budge, Laver and ??

And what about on the women's side?

bluegrasser
05-28-2007, 04:26 PM
I think it was - AA, Budge, Emerson, Laver, Perry ?

drakulie
05-28-2007, 04:40 PM
I agree _ I saw that match last night on TC, and man were those two spanking the ball big time, even compared to todays hitters.

I saw Courier practicing at the Ericson Open practice courts with one of the pros (can't remember who), about 2 years ago. He was crushing the ball, and hitting it just as big as the current pro. His inside-out forehand was still amazing.

Moose Malloy
05-28-2007, 08:01 PM
good quote !!!
(nowadays it's not trendy anymore to "trashtalk" like this... unfotunately !)

connors was close to get his revenge the next year in the same round of the same tournament... a pity he didn't !

vive le beau jeu !

I noticed an error in your website, the score on the 1974 Masters final was
76 62 36 36 64, not the score you have. the atp website is incorrect, they have the correct score on the itf site(& I have that match on dvd, so I can confirm the score)

vive le beau jeu !
05-30-2007, 08:40 AM
vive le beau jeu !

I noticed an error in your website, the score on the 1974 Masters final was
76 62 36 36 64, not the score you have. the atp website is incorrect, they have the correct score on the itf site(& I have that match on dvd, so I can confirm the score)
thx a lot for the info, i will correct that !
for once that somebody goes there... ;)

EDIT
done :)

Moose Malloy
05-30-2007, 09:33 AM
I like your site (& have it under my 'favorites' on my computer), I can find that info other places, but it is easier to read & better organized at yours, with the color coding, etc

federerfanatic
05-30-2007, 12:45 PM
I personally feel Connors is underrated in comparision to Agassi, and Agassi overrated in comparision to Connors. I dont mean to diminish Agassi since he is a great player and champion in his own right. However watching old tapes I Connors and studying his career I am surprised Agassi is so much the consensus superior version of Connors, and consensus rated a level higher in the all time list. I honestly have it the other way around.

Azzurri
05-30-2007, 01:17 PM
I personally feel Connors is underrated in comparision to Agassi, and Agassi overrated in comparision to Connors. I dont mean to diminish Agassi since he is a great player and champion in his own right. However watching old tapes I Connors and studying his career I am surprised Agassi is so much the consensus superior version of Connors, and consensus rated a level higher in the all time list. I honestly have it the other way around.

I agree with you...I have rated players and Imay have rated Agassi a bit higher but only because I watched Agassi since 1987. I started an interest in Tennis in 1979, so I missed some of his prime years. Maybe people compare them so much because Agasi seemded to be the new Jimmy prototype in 1987. If you look back at their career (statistic wise) then I would give Connors the nod. But I don't really know since I missed some time. I feel more comfortable rating players I watched in their prime.

sandy mayer
05-30-2007, 02:41 PM

I completely agree. I think Connors' achievements were greater. But some people think Agassi was greater than Sampras. It's the career grand slam that makes people overate Agassi. Great champion, but can't be put on the same level as Connors let alone Sampras because Agassi was never truly dominant the way Connors, Borg, Mac, Lendl, Sampras were for substantial periods and the way Federer is now.

federerfanatic
05-30-2007, 03:30 PM
I completely agree. I think Connors' achievements were greater. But some people think Agassi was greater than Sampras. It's the career grand slam that makes people overate Agassi. Great champion, but can't be put on the same level as Connors let alone Sampras because Agassi was never truly dominant the way Connors, Borg, Mac, Lendl, Sampras were for substantial periods and the way Federer is now.

Some people argue he wasnt dominant because of Sampras. In reality even without Sampras the only years he would have been considered dominant are 1995 and 1999, with no other year coming even close to being regarded as dominant. That is no way a period of dominance like Connors had from 1974-1976 anyway. Connors had just as much, even more longevity in some ways. Connors had much much more consistency, the two dont even come close in this area.

Also Connors had Borg, McEnroe, and Lendl. So I dont see why you would even hypotheticaly remove Sampras in any case, as if you removed any fellow all-time greats Connors played he would have won much more himself.

Fries-N-Gravy
05-31-2007, 11:26 AM
i think agassi's early losses to sampras, especially 1990 and 1995 US open really destroyed his mental state. He was clearly the next dominating player until sampras came out of nowhere to take it all away. probably because of his dad, he didn't take losses too well until he got older.

federerfanatic
05-31-2007, 12:20 PM
i think agassi's early losses to sampras, especially 1990 and 1995 US open really destroyed his mental state. He was clearly the next dominating player until sampras came out of nowhere to take it all away. probably because of his dad, he didn't take losses too well until he got older.

I agree on the 1995 U.S Open final possibly, but the 1990 U.S Open final? First of all that match did not cement Sampras as the new dominant player in the mens game. It took him 2 full years to reach another slam final, and almost 3 years to win his 2nd slam title.

Agassi had already lost the French Open final to Gomez as the favorite, and would then lose the French Open final to Courier as the favorite. Agassi lost his first 3 slam finals, going from the 1990 French Open-1991 French Open, despite being favored in all 3. I think he had a bigger problem to overcome then Sampras almost 3 years away from being a dominant player winning his first slam title at his expense. Probably a mental block of some kind in those big matches, or a confidence issue, but whatever it was it was clearly not strictly Sampras related at that point in time.

Agassi's biggest problem in the early 90s IMHO was not that he lost that U.S Open final to Sampras but that Jim Courier who played a similar game owned him during that time. Courier beat him in 3 different slams-91 French Open, 92 French Open, 92 U.S Open, and beat him all 5 times they played in 1991 and 1992. Courier's dominance over Agassi prevented him potentialy becoming a multi-slam winner and contender for the # 1 ranking, let alone a dominant player in the early 90s. As Sampras won only 1 slam from 90-92(same as Agassi, much less then Courier), reached only 2 slam finals(less then both Agassi and Courier), and did not reach a high of that time of #3 until the end of 92, I doubt his presence and 1 defeat of Agassi in a big final was behind too much of Agassi being setback in the early 90s.

Courier kept Agassi from any chance of being a dominant player in the early 90s, Sampras did through the mid and late 90s, when Agassi was even playing serious and near the top that is, then in the early part of the new century Hewitt did by going 3-2 vs Agassi those 2 years and edging him for the year #1 in both 2001 and 2002. Then after that Federer prevented the older version of Agassi from getting anywhere near being a dominant player by his total domination of him, ending his run at many significant events. So at whatever point in his career you are talking there was always someone better which is why Agassi was never dominant the way Connors and most other greats were for atleast a period of time.

Gillian
06-04-2007, 10:59 PM
I think it was - AA, Budge, Emerson, Laver, Perry ?

Is this right, guys? These are the five men to have won career GS's??

Volley Art
06-05-2007, 02:52 PM
Is this right, guys? These are the five men to have won career GS's??

Si. That's the list. Federer at some point.