PDA

View Full Version : Curious about why pros feed the way they do

Cindysphinx
05-22-2007, 12:11 PM
I have had lessons for a while now, and I am always curious about why pros choose to stand where they do for feeding, and also what makes them decide not to feed and instead to hit with you.

Frequently when we work on groundstrokes, my pro stands at the T, feeds a ball and then keeps hitting it back to me if my shot is anything he can reach. He rarely hits with me from the baseline. Why is that, do you think? Is it that it helps him see better and communicate better if he's closer? I sometimes wonder if I'm getting into a bad habit of hitting short in my effort to hit it right back to him. Then again, plenty sail over his head, so maybe that's not a problem . . . :)

I don't really mind, but I'm wondering what his thinking is. Is there some sort of progression in how a pro feeds/hits with a student he's been working with a long time?

Nero_S
05-22-2007, 12:25 PM
Due to tennis geometry he can reach more from T. Thus he does not have to run after every ball you spray and potentially can keep the ball in longer.

LuckyR
05-22-2007, 12:39 PM
Generally if you are feeding balls, it is a good idea not to hit returns as the next ball since the whole point of feeding drills is to hone some stroke to a fine polish through repetition. Of course real tennis isn't like that, that's why the next step if for live ball drills.

zapvor
05-22-2007, 01:18 PM
I have had lessons for a while now, and I am always curious about why pros choose to stand where they do for feeding, and also what makes them decide not to feed and instead to hit with you.

Frequently when we work on groundstrokes, my pro stands at the T, feeds a ball and then keeps hitting it back to me if my shot is anything he can reach. He rarely hits with me from the baseline. Why is that, do you think? Is it that it helps him see better and communicate better if he's closer? I sometimes wonder if I'm getting into a bad habit of hitting short in my effort to hit it right back to him. Then again, plenty sail over his head, so maybe that's not a problem . . . :)

I don't really mind, but I'm wondering what his thinking is. Is there some sort of progression in how a pro feeds/hits with a student he's been working with a long time?

why dont you ask him?

personally i think its a matter of skill level. if i see that you are still sailing balls over my head when i am standing at the T, i wont be moving back to the baseline anytime soon until you get more consistency.

HellBunni
05-22-2007, 01:43 PM
from the T he can do:

1. see your form better
2. so he can feed you balls more accurately, it's harder to feed accurate shots from the baseline.
3. like someone said, so he can reach more balls without moving.

it does depend on your level of play too.

Matt_MS
05-22-2007, 03:43 PM
My coach usually starts at the T and moves back after we warm up so he can drill me, and at the end of training he will rally with me some and we usually play a tiebreaker.

edberg505
05-22-2007, 03:58 PM
Well, I think it all sort of depends on your skill level. When I used to teach I would start off feeding balls just in front of the T actually. And like your coach, if anything was within my reach I would volley it back to the student for a few reasons. 1). it helped me with my volleying skills 2.) it helps the student to see what shots they may want to play after the volley comes back to them. 3.) it gives them more balls to hit. I would usually rally with a student if they were consistent enough to keep the ball in play after I'm done feeding them balls. Usually towards the end of the session. This way they can put to use what they just learned.