PDA

View Full Version : People watching you play

monkeyisland90
05-22-2007, 11:29 AM
When starting out, i didn't like it when people watch me play since i was horrible. And when i started getting good, and people would watch I would take notice and start "showing off" or try playing extra good. (Especially if pretty female watches). After playing some more tennis, i realize that this sport demands so much concentration, i'm being foolish to divide my mind like this.... I think it's partally because of my swing because i use a full western grip and racquet head speed needs to be very quick and people who doesn't play as much or have a keen interest in it stands out to them... and i hear them say wow he's good.. which feeds my ego... but now, i made a bad habit of this and can't seem to block out any external stimuli or a hot babe walking by. When playing someone that is lower rating, i'm always tempted to just play to show off, but I know that this stupid pride well get me into lot of trouble playing good players so every moment i try to stay focused.

Ok so point of this posting is am i the only one that is wierd like this? Or are there people that seem to notice people watching and somehow do worse or even better out of the blue because of them.... All i really want now is to be focused from start to finish in the game and forget anything that is happenign around me.. i guess i'm maturing.. :)

forzainter
05-22-2007, 11:39 AM
i ony get distracted if people i know are there, and i start to feel really uneasy when im having a bad day and i know people are watching

MTXR
05-22-2007, 11:44 AM
i get extremely distracted when hot females are around the court. I'll start losing...

monkeyisland90
05-22-2007, 12:00 PM
about the hot female thing... i think this is one i won't be able to block out.. i have bad habit from day i was born to just stare at them... I played this one guy that was a semi final match, and he brought his girlfriend or wife wearing something pretty hot and i think he did that to distract me.. well it worked partially and ended up losing (though it wasn't all because of distraction but it did make my mind not pure and divided)

zapvor
05-22-2007, 12:02 PM
lol....you guys are hilarious.

sinneTennis
05-22-2007, 12:06 PM
I have a tip: Get good. Then you dont have to show off. You naturally already make people go "wow!" with just a forehand or even a serve (providing that you have good technique and it doesnt look sloppy)

Thomas Bird-Itch
05-22-2007, 12:20 PM
Yes, it's distracting. What should you do? Imagine she's got diseases, no teeth, is actually a man, etc... anything to get your mind back in the game.

If you still get distracted, get yourself a girlfriend!! ;)

croatian sensation
05-22-2007, 12:30 PM
I don't like people watching me play. I'm completley out of shape and it's embarassing.

bumfluff
05-22-2007, 12:32 PM
That doesn't help! Imagine them naked, it will make you feel a lot less uneasy and just hope nobody sees the big bump protruding from your shorts. Sadly this probably won't help with getting your mind back on the playing.

Luckily for me, there aren't that many good looking females where I play tennis and I don't go to tournaments.

thejackal
05-22-2007, 01:39 PM
i used to be bothered by that, but this season in HS tennis i found it gave me a bit more motivation, since i rarely play all out - usually i need something to push me so that i can play at 6th gear. i was down a set and a break in a playoff game and my team was down 2-4 (best of 9 matches, so if i lose we're out). the guy hooks my on a forehand winner and i start freaking out. guys from both teams gathered around the court and i ended up coming back and winning 3-6 6-3 6-4

dave333
05-22-2007, 01:51 PM
Yes, it's distracting. What should you do? Imagine she's got diseases, no teeth, is actually a man, etc... anything to get your mind back in the game.

If you still get distracted, get yourself a girlfriend!! ;)

What if ur girlfriend isn't as hot:grin:

Voltron
05-22-2007, 02:10 PM
I don't like people watching me play. I'm completley out of shape and it's embarassing.
Completely out of shape? It doesn't look like that from your photos in the picture thread.

Anyway, I personally don't care if people watch me, I don't play any differently. Trying to show off is just plain rude to your opponent, however, if my opponent is weaker, I can certainly see playing down, I don't think I get any enjoyment out of beating weaker players badly.

edberg505
05-22-2007, 02:26 PM
Having to put up with it through 4 years of college it doesn't really bother me at all. Although I have to tell you, it was sort of distracting if I was the last one on the court and the team is counting on me to win the match. That only bothered me my first year though. After that I was fine with it.

Matt_MS
05-22-2007, 02:34 PM
I play in a lot of tournaments so I always at least have people watching. I like it b e s t when people are cheering against me, it gives me more motivation to play better and hit winners, so I can turn to them at the end of the match and smile.

Cindysphinx
05-22-2007, 04:57 PM
I'd prefer that people not watch me play.

If I hit a great shot, I already know it was a great shot so the crowd doesn't help.

If I make a boner mistake, having a whole bunch of witnesses is extra-embarrassing.

Dunlopkid
05-22-2007, 05:04 PM
When starting out, i didn't like it when people watch me play since i was horrible. And when i started getting good, and people would watch I would take notice and start "showing off" or try playing extra good. (Especially if pretty female watches). After playing some more tennis, i realize that this sport demands so much concentration, i'm being foolish to divide my mind like this.... I think it's partally because of my swing because i use a full western grip and racquet head speed needs to be very quick and people who doesn't play as much or have a keen interest in it stands out to them... and i hear them say wow he's good.. which feeds my ego... but now, i made a bad habit of this and can't seem to block out any external stimuli or a hot babe walking by. When playing someone that is lower rating, i'm always tempted to just play to show off, but I know that this stupid pride well get me into lot of trouble playing good players so every moment i try to stay focused.

Ok so point of this posting is am i the only one that is wierd like this? Or are there people that seem to notice people watching and somehow do worse or even better out of the blue because of them.... All i really want now is to be focused from start to finish in the game and forget anything that is happenign around me.. i guess i'm maturing.. :)

Haven't read the others posts that offer advice yet, but I'm glad to know I'm not the only one. It's like when I started, I couldn't play WITH people watching, now it's almost the opposite.

Bodacious DVT
05-22-2007, 05:08 PM
i just ignore them. If they were worth my time, i'd probably be playing them. otherwise, my mind is in the game and its staying there until the end.

J.W. North Tennis91
05-22-2007, 05:11 PM
i just ignore them. If they were worth my time, i'd probably be playing them. otherwise, my mind is in the game and its staying there until the end.

ya me too my mind is always on the game, in fact my eyes are only on the court i dont look anywhere else.

tenniskid3119
05-22-2007, 05:13 PM
ya me too my mind is always on the game, in fact my eyes are only on the court i dont look anywhere else.

i dont have that good of focus... I'm always looking at my parents to make sure they dont get mad at me and looking at the around the fences to make sure they're not cheating.

boojay
05-22-2007, 05:38 PM
i get distracted by hot females while driving.

it's a serious problem.

Brian_C
05-22-2007, 05:46 PM
yup, i know exactly what u guyz are talking about... I mean i play ok but when a nice looking females starts to watch i get to distracted and start missing my shots... >.> dam im gonna have to work on that

103xStateChamp
05-23-2007, 05:38 PM
I play in a lot of tournaments so I always at least have people watching. I like it b e s t when people are cheering against me, it gives me more motivation to play better and hit winners, so I can turn to them at the end of the match and smile.

LOL I love that felling especially when there parents friends and family are loud and annoying. I like smiling after winners or do a nice fist pump to the crowd..lol.

103xStateChamp
05-23-2007, 05:39 PM
back on topic though sometimes if I'm winning buy a lot I will go for a hard serve or smash then give her a wave.

thejackal
05-23-2007, 08:00 PM

never had that in tennis but did have the whole rinkfull of people jeering at me after i scored 2 goals to beat the home team 2-0 in an ice hockey tournament. i agree that it's nice, and kind of surreal.

rommil
05-23-2007, 08:06 PM
about the hot female thing... i think this is one i won't be able to block out.. i have bad habit from day i was born to just stare at them... I played this one guy that was a semi final match, and he brought his girlfriend or wife wearing something pretty hot and i think he did that to distract me.. well it worked partially and ended up losing (though it wasn't all because of distraction but it did make my mind not pure and divided)

You should have called a let....lol. Although the movie Wimbledon was cheesy as hell, I really thought it was funny and I can relate where your mind goes in between points and thinking about tennis, strategies and random things in between.

ps60
05-24-2007, 09:12 AM
i've seen local kids' tournament. Some of them are really really good. and there are some pretty, hot PYT in short pants and skirts coming to see them. Some just want to know them actually.
As a by-stander, I was absolutely distracted but i didn't notice the boys playing are distracted at all. They kept an intense focus and fought ferociously.

For my own casual matches, i manged to have some focus on the sidewalk :D, between pts. But once a point has started, i will dive in until it's finished. The only problem is sometimes it ends before i am "in" :-(.

2 weeks ago, i found someone outside the court taking video of us. That really distracted me. i was wondering "am i so good ?" or "if there is anyone attractive nearby ?" The only thing i am sure is i couldn't hit right after i noticed that.

richw76
05-24-2007, 10:17 AM
never had that in tennis but did have the whole rinkfull of people jeering at me after i scored 2 goals to beat the home team 2-0 in an ice hockey tournament. i agree that it's nice, and kind of surreal.

I'm not sure if it's the same as tennis. I played team and singles sports my whole life and my soccer, football, water polo matches always had people watching but you are kinda disconnected from the crowd. You get a sort of tunnel vision within the field/pool and don't notice the crowd until after you score or whatever.

In tennis I try to keep focus but If a very attractive woman walks by when I'm serving I will take a quick peek out of the corner of my eye, I don't want to it just happens.... and I usually miss the serve. Also tennis spectators are usually much closer than in most other sports.

Doc Hollidae
05-24-2007, 10:19 PM
I just don't like family members, relatives, or adult family friends watching me, because then I can't yell at myself as much or with the same language.

spadesss
05-25-2007, 06:56 AM
i've seen local kids' tournament. Some of them are really really good. and there are some pretty, hot PYT in short pants and skirts coming to see them. Some just want to know them actually.
As a by-stander, I was absolutely distracted but i didn't notice the boys playing are distracted at all. They kept an intense focus and fought ferociously.

For my own casual matches, i manged to have some focus on the sidewalk :D, between pts. But once a point has started, i will dive in until it's finished. The only problem is sometimes it ends before i am "in" :-(.

2 weeks ago, i found someone outside the court taking video of us. That really distracted me. i was wondering "am i so good ?" or "if there is anyone attractive nearby ?" The only thing i am sure is i couldn't hit right after i noticed that.

is this legal????
2 weeks ago, i found someone outside the court taking video of us.
this is not as you happened to be in the background and the shot is focus in on someone they know.

RoddickAce
07-13-2007, 01:18 PM
When I play, I think of the point as a chess match, so ppl rarely distract me, unless I'm playing someone who isnt that good, but pretends to be good. Then I lose my concentration and I try to power all my shots...Gotta correct that...

Tennis4203
07-14-2007, 10:01 PM
well i'm fine, bet when a physically attractive female walks past
usually 1 of 2 things happen:
1. I get aced (if i'm returning)
2. I serve and i frame it....
usually happens....
but when the female stays there....GOD it's as distracting as
having ur grandma on the side of the court blowing u kisses

Seansaysrawr21
07-14-2007, 10:10 PM
I dont really get distracted or try to play differently with ppl watching but I do like to put on a good show for them, I like to do the whole Lleyton Hewitt thing CMON!!!!!!