PDA

View Full Version : Question: Ways of Learning: Forehand, topspin...

Eman
09-23-2004, 06:25 PM
Hi,

I've been impressed with the comments on this board and appreciate the tips from all. I have sort of a strange question, specifically for those who teach tennis.

I have played tennis recreationally for 15 yrs and am a 3.5 player or so. I have taken lesson (a few) on several occasions but never found an instructor who could really improve my game. Most of what I learn, I have to feel and then I realize what they were trying to teach me (ie. they said it but in a different way that didn't make sense to me at the time). You know what I mean?

Anyway, on to my question. I have an average all around game but have struggled with consistency on my forehand forever! I have never been able to hit with a lot of topspin. Recently, I started experimenting by hitting different ways and have begun to generate topspin in two very different methods. I'm just wondering about these methods because I don't want to continue something that works but is (in the long run), detrimental to my game.

1) I started hitting with the feel of the bottom of my racquet "pushing" thru the ball first imparting topspin. (thats the only way I can describe it). Its like I'm hitting the bottom of the ball and rolling it forward with the bottom of my racquet. It tends to start the ball high but it quickly comes down because of the much topspin on the ball.

I'm asking this (sort of silly) question because this is very different from the general way that I've heard to generate topspin.

2) The other way I've started generating more spin is by hitting the ball in more a "normal" fashion but further out to my right (right-handed) and a little closer to me (less in front). This doesn't generate as much spin as #1 above but more so than in my past.

Anyway, any comments on these observations would be much appreciated.

E

Rickson
09-23-2004, 08:17 PM
Hit the ball from low to high.

fastdunn
09-24-2004, 12:06 PM
Eman I think I know what you're trying to say.
Assuming I understand the issue, I found not many people
understand it. I'm no expert but here are some of my research
thru books like "Visual Tennis" and my own thinking....

1) is the modern way, 2) is classic style(you said "normal")

1) is "enforcing" tospin by rolling "racquet" over.
2) let the tennis ball rolls over the moving racquet in order to
get that extra spin. It's kinda like "snooping" the tail end of the ball
that leavong out of the racquet face...

Believe it or not, #2 gets more spin because the balls roll over
larger area with more dwelling time than #1.
BUT, #1 kinda let you swing faster(also modern players swing
faster..)

#2 kinda hinders you a little bit in swinging with the maximum speed because
you have to maintain same face angle thru out the whole swing.

In modern game, balls coming at you with big impact and jumping up on you.
So you naturally hit it on your back foot bia "rolling over" or pressing down the ball on the rise (#2).

IMHO, for amatuers like us, both #1 and #2 are viable choices.
So I would experiment with both of them. ..

Good luck...
FD

fastdunn
09-24-2004, 12:09 PM
Believe it or not, #2 gets more spin because the balls roll over
larger area with more dwelling time than #1.

I meant this with "assuming we hit #1 and #2 with SAME swing speed"...