PDA

View Full Version : Bigger grip or smaller better for TE?

morten
05-22-2007, 02:40 PM
Especially interested in views from TE sufferers. I know too far either way is bad, but what is considered better/or worse, in general ? Coming back from TE myself now... I have gone down myself since my TE developed, but consider going back up again, it feels a bit wristy sometimes......

morten
05-23-2007, 04:32 AM
C`mon guys... ;)

grizzly4life
05-23-2007, 06:14 AM
my "own experience" is that large grips lead to TE (well, i think golfer's elbow technically in my case)..... my theory is that large grip basically locks the wrist therefore you use the elbow a bit more to get action/spin on the ball. conversely, small grip = more wrist, therefore less elbow.

some agreed with me. others think it's smaller grip that leads to TE and i think that would be more the consensus.

bad_call
05-23-2007, 06:57 AM
i'm in agreement with grizzly on this one. my TE resulted from poor technique when coaching. now i know why the coaches feed balls from a basket near the service line. ;)

LuckyR
05-23-2007, 07:28 AM
Especially interested in views from TE sufferers. I know too far either way is bad, but what is considered better/or worse, in general ? Coming back from TE myself now... I have gone down myself since my TE developed, but consider going back up again, it feels a bit wristy sometimes......

I have read many sources that state that larger grips are better for your arm. Personally, I prefer a slightly smaller grip than average, performance-wise. I have no conclusive experience on arm safety though (as far as grip size is concerned).

lprogers
05-23-2007, 08:44 AM
morten, I have suffered from bouts of TE and I agree with grizzly on this one. I switched from a 4 1/2 or 4 3/8 to a 4 1/4 grip. The larger grip kept my wrist and arm locked, and put too much stress on my elbow when I tried to generate more spin. The smaller grip allows me to get more "whip" in my swing. As a result my technique is now more relaxed and my elbow and arm feel much better these days.

I also always heard that larger grips are better if you have tennis elbow, but that was not the case for me.

volusiano
05-23-2007, 11:32 PM
Why would keeping your wrist locked be bad for TE? I thought that was one of the fundamentals of the forehand is to keep your wrist locked/set.

tennis_hand
05-24-2007, 09:53 PM
Neither. The right grip for you prevents TE.