PDA

View Full Version : John McEnroe's tension

tennisfa
05-22-2007, 03:16 PM
I heard that he strings his racket really loose, but how loose exactly? and also what string he uses. thank you.

realplayer
05-22-2007, 03:38 PM
According to Jura:

At the French Open last year his Dunlop Maxply McEnroe was strung with BDE Natural Gut 16 at 25/23 kp (55/50.6 lbs)

And to my knowledge is that when he played with his dunlop max 200g he had a tension of 40 lbs because that racket was more flexible so he needed a lower tension to get more power.

SFrazeur
05-22-2007, 04:00 PM
His tension? Well, it has always seemed to be very high.

jura
05-22-2007, 06:09 PM
According to Jura:

At the French Open last year his Dunlop Maxply McEnroe was strung with BDE Natural Gut 16 at 25/23 kp (55/50.6 lbs)

And to my knowledge is that when he played with his dunlop max 200g he had a tension of 40 lbs because that racket was more flexible so he needed a lower tension to get more power.
Absolutely correct. At the FO I hold his stick and saw the tension written down on the paper. Only it was 2005, not last year;)

Fedfan4life
05-22-2007, 09:58 PM
Jura, are you a pro stringer? Sorry I had to ask I'm new here.

jura
05-22-2007, 10:06 PM
Jura, are you a pro stringer? Sorry I had to ask I'm new here.
If you ask if I earn my money with stringing I have to say no. Just from time to time I string at pro events. But tennis is one part of my business.

Serve 'em hard
05-22-2007, 10:19 PM
Absolutely correct. At the FO I hold his stick and saw the tension written down on the paper. Only it was 2005, not last year;)

Do you have any information about what he used to string at in the old days, and why?

jura
05-22-2007, 11:07 PM
Do you have any information about what he used to string at in the old days, and why?
He used Pacific natural gut for the longest time. Why? Maybe because he was sponsored by them!;)

Rabbit
05-23-2007, 04:54 AM
When McEnroe played with wood, he strung in the mid 40s. When he moved to the Dunlop 200G, he continued with that tension. I'm not sure when he joined the masses, but for the last several years, ever since going to the C10 and beyond, he's strung in the mid to upper 50s.

jetlee2k
05-23-2007, 05:01 AM
Pacific Poly Force Xtreme 16L @ 54 pounds

How do you like this string Rabbit?? how does it compare with ALU Power in term of feel, control & Power? have you try hybrid it with gut? I am planning to try my next setup on K90 hybrid it with ALU Power Fluro & VS, and Pacific Poly Force Xtreme 16L &VS.. I heard some good thing about Pacific in softness & feel but lack of power

Douggo
05-23-2007, 07:42 AM
His tension? Well, it has always seemed to be very high.

That's what I was thinking. I don't know about his strings, though.

Rabbit
05-23-2007, 08:59 AM
How do you like this string Rabbit?? how does it compare with ALU Power in term of feel, control & Power? have you try hybrid it with gut? I am planning to try my next setup on K90 hybrid it with ALU Power Fluro & VS, and Pacific Poly Force Xtreme 16L &VS.. I heard some good thing about Pacific in softness & feel but lack of power

Somebody else asked me about this string, that thread is in the stringing section. Below is a link to that thread where I go into much more detail:

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=134659

I love it. It pockets the ball (there is no better term) better than anything I've ever used, including gut. Tension maintenance is better than gut, and it's a poly!

I was a long time user of TiMo, but did try ALU on several occassions. ALU is about as comfortable as Xtreme, but Xtreme is better around the net and has a lot more control than ALU.

As far as power goes, this string is pretty powerful. I found my serves weren't lacking at all in the power department and direction and spin were way above average as well.

I don't have any negative comments about this string so far. It is cheaper than Lux and plays way better IMO.

SFrazeur
05-23-2007, 09:15 AM
That's what I was thinking. I don't know about his strings, though.

Yeah, he's strung past highest tension and voided his warranty.

Hessam
06-02-2007, 07:11 AM
I thought mcenroe used BDE gut?

goosala
06-05-2007, 11:04 AM
Back in 1989 when he played Davis Cup against Argentina he strung his 200G at 47 lbs.